iPod photo transfer performance and accessories
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Has the performance of photo transfers from a Canon Powershot SD700IS to the latest 5G iPod model improved from the iPod photo? I have not been satisfied with photo transfer performance to my iPod photo 60GB and would like to know whether it makes sense to upgrade to an 80GB 5G iPod or buy some other portable storage device for quick photo transfer/backup ?
A: Unfortunately, the performance of photo transfer has improved little from the iPod photo, and most users will probably still find the performance to be unacceptable for transferring large numbers of photographs. The slow performance results in part from the processing that the iPod undertakes to convert each photo into a thumbnail image for display on the iPod itself. In recent testing from a Sony DSC-R1 to an 80GB 5G iPod, 249 ten-Megapixel pictures totalling 1 GB of storage took approximately 40 minutes to transfer, whereas 339 five-Megapixel pictures totalling 680 MB of storage took only slightly less time (35 minutes).
Further, the combined transfer of both of these sets of pictures drained the 80 GB 5G iPod battery well into the red. None of the iPod picture transfer accessories offer any way to charge or power the iPod while performing a photo transfer.
Keep in mind as well that the only direct-from-camera photo transfer accessory presently available for the 5G iPod is the Apple iPod Camera Connector (iLounge rating: B+), although another option, called the iAlbum, transfers content directly from Secure Digital or Memory Stick cards.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple’s new ‘Echo rival’ may feature a camera
- Apple ‘working rapidly’ to extend Apple Pay to more countries
- Report: Apple’s Siri-based Amazon Echo competitor will be a new Apple TV
- Report: Apple SVP Eddy Cue proposed bid to buy Time Warner
- Beta testing for Pokémon GO begins in the U.S.
- Apple’s plan to open stores in India hits a snag (Update: India’s finance minister ratifies ruling)
- Apple looking into charging stations for electric cars
- Apple hires hint at improvements in encryption, health monitoring
- Hyundai adds CarPlay support to more vehicles
- Plaintiffs file new motion to keep ‘Error 53’ Touch ID lawsuit alive
- OtterBox Symmetry Series Hybrid Case for 12.9” iPad Pro
- Logitech Logi BASE Charging Stand for iPad Pro
- Twelve South TimePorter for Apple Watch
- August Doorbell Cam
- August Smart Lock HomeKit enabled + Smart Keypad
- ecobee3 HomeKit-enabled smart Wi-Fi thermostat
- Zagg Now Cam
- Yantouch EyE Portable Wireless Speaker
- Netatmo Wind Gauge
- Incipio Stashback for iPhone 6/6s
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)