iPod photo transfer performance and accessories
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Has the performance of photo transfers from a Canon Powershot SD700IS to the latest 5G iPod model improved from the iPod photo? I have not been satisfied with photo transfer performance to my iPod photo 60GB and would like to know whether it makes sense to upgrade to an 80GB 5G iPod or buy some other portable storage device for quick photo transfer/backup ?
A: Unfortunately, the performance of photo transfer has improved little from the iPod photo, and most users will probably still find the performance to be unacceptable for transferring large numbers of photographs. The slow performance results in part from the processing that the iPod undertakes to convert each photo into a thumbnail image for display on the iPod itself. In recent testing from a Sony DSC-R1 to an 80GB 5G iPod, 249 ten-Megapixel pictures totalling 1 GB of storage took approximately 40 minutes to transfer, whereas 339 five-Megapixel pictures totalling 680 MB of storage took only slightly less time (35 minutes).
Further, the combined transfer of both of these sets of pictures drained the 80 GB 5G iPod battery well into the red. None of the iPod picture transfer accessories offer any way to charge or power the iPod while performing a photo transfer.
Keep in mind as well that the only direct-from-camera photo transfer accessory presently available for the 5G iPod is the Apple iPod Camera Connector (iLounge rating: B+), although another option, called the iAlbum, transfers content directly from Secure Digital or Memory Stick cards.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple releases fourth betas of iOS 10.3.2, watchOS 3.2.2, and tvOS 10.2.1
- Images claim to show iPhone 8 prototype with glass back, vertical camera
- Apple works on alternative power sources, new uses for waste heat in Denmark data center
- Training documents reveal safety details about Apple’s self-driving car system
- Supply shortfalls of upgraded components may delay iPhone 8 production to October/November
- Apple recruits two Google Satellite Executives
- Nike unveils new Nike-exclusive ‘Apple Watch NikeLab’
- Prince single ‘Deliverance’ disappears from Apple Music
- Apple releases 2017 Environmental Responsibility Report
- iDevices Wall Outlet
- Koogeek Wi-Fi SmartSocket for Apple HomeKit
- Sony MDR-1000X Wireless Noise-Canceling Headphones
- FiiO i1 Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Adapter
- Blue Ella Headphones
- Apple iPad (Fifth-Generation)
- AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon Headphones
- ExoLens PRO with Optics by ZEISS Wide-Angle Lens Kit
- Blue Sadie Headphones
- Circle with Disney Parental Control and Internet Filtering System
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10