iPod screen staying on when docked
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have recently updated my 160GB iPod classic to v1.0.3, and notice that the screen now stays on indefinetely when docked on my Apple iPod Hi Fi. This was not so before and I’m finding it rather irritating.
A: Actually, this is a feature rather than a bug, and is fortunately user-configurable. The v1.0.3 firmware update adds proper support for the iPod Hi-Fi back to the 2007 iPod models. This was a feature that has been available on the fifth-generation iPod and older iPod nano models since the release of the iPod Hi-Fi, and was conspicuously absent on the latest iPod models.
As of v1.0.3, you should now see a “Speakers” menu that appears when you connect your iPod to the iPod Hi-Fi.
Within this menu, you will find options for tone control and backlight settings:
The backlight option has four possible settings: Always On (which is the default), While Playing, On Keypress, or Always Off. These options are relatively self-explanatory, although the “Always Off” option deserves an additional comment: As the name implies, this will turn the backlight off permanently whenever the iPod is connected to the iPod Hi-Fi. Unfortunately, this may make it difficult to see the menu when the iPod is connected to the iPod Hi-Fi, and since the “Speakers” menu disappears when the iPod is disconnected from the iPod Hi-Fi, it is difficult to see this option in order to navigate back to the “Speakers” menu and change it back. The screen itself does stay on, despite the backlight, so in good lighting conditions (or with the use of a flashlight), you should be able to see enough of the screen to navigate back to the “Speakers” menu.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple under fire for patent infringement from haptic feedback company Immersion
- CBS CEO Moonves notes Apple talks have stopped
- Apple will source iPhone 7 ‘A10’ CPU solely from TSMC
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!