iPod screen staying on when docked
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have recently updated my 160GB iPod classic to v1.0.3, and notice that the screen now stays on indefinetely when docked on my Apple iPod Hi Fi. This was not so before and I’m finding it rather irritating.
A: Actually, this is a feature rather than a bug, and is fortunately user-configurable. The v1.0.3 firmware update adds proper support for the iPod Hi-Fi back to the 2007 iPod models. This was a feature that has been available on the fifth-generation iPod and older iPod nano models since the release of the iPod Hi-Fi, and was conspicuously absent on the latest iPod models.
As of v1.0.3, you should now see a “Speakers” menu that appears when you connect your iPod to the iPod Hi-Fi.
Within this menu, you will find options for tone control and backlight settings:
The backlight option has four possible settings: Always On (which is the default), While Playing, On Keypress, or Always Off. These options are relatively self-explanatory, although the “Always Off” option deserves an additional comment: As the name implies, this will turn the backlight off permanently whenever the iPod is connected to the iPod Hi-Fi. Unfortunately, this may make it difficult to see the menu when the iPod is connected to the iPod Hi-Fi, and since the “Speakers” menu disappears when the iPod is disconnected from the iPod Hi-Fi, it is difficult to see this option in order to navigate back to the “Speakers” menu and change it back. The screen itself does stay on, despite the backlight, so in good lighting conditions (or with the use of a flashlight), you should be able to see enough of the screen to navigate back to the “Speakers” menu.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple offering hands-on demos of Super Mario Run in stores
- Report: Apple pursuing studio agreements for early movie rentals
- Apple releases seventh beta of iOS 10.2 to developers
- Apple makes its picks for best iPhone, iPad and Apple TV apps of 2016
- Apple acknowledges Apple Music now includes ‘all the benefits of iTunes Match’
- Apple Music tops 20 million subscribers
- Apple blames ‘external factors’ for iPhone fires in China
- Rumor: 2017 iPhones won’t include glass chassis or wireless charging; will add red color
- Top Apple supplier Foxconn planning U.S. investment
- Apple enables Single Sign-On across all iOS 10 and tvOS 10 devices
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Brydge 12.9 iPad Pro Keyboard
- Sen.se GuardPeanut
- iHome iZBT10 Zenergy Bedside Sleep Therapy Speaker
- Twelve South HiRise Duet for Apple Watch and iPhone
- IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitor
- JBL Under Armour Sport Wireless Heart Rate Headphones
- Edifier e235 Luna E Speaker System
- Clamcase ClamCase+ for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10