iPod shuffle alternatives with randomized song uploads
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I really like the way the iPod shuffle can upload a random set of music to the device, so I don’t lose time selecting what I want to upload. But I don’t like iPod shuffle’s lack of features. Is there another player (or software) that uploads or creates a random set of music so I don’t need to spend time choosing songs?
- Juan Manuel
A: You can do the same thing with any iPod and iTunes using a smart playlist. Say you have a 4 GB iPod mini, and you have 20 GB of music. Create a smart playlist that simply selects any 4 GB of music at random. You’ll need to have a condition that the smart playlist matches: if you want to choose from all your music, you could choose Bit rate Is greater than 1 kbps; this will match all your songs.
Next, check Limit to, enter 4 GB, and choose Selected by Random. You’ll have 4GB of music, selected at random. After you sync your iPod mini, you can regenerate the playlist by selecting all the music (Command+A on Mac; Control+A on Windows), deleting the songs, and the playlist will update itself with a new random selection.
You can make other smart playlists, by genre, song length, or other conditions, providing almost the same functions as the Autofill feature that the iPod shuffle uses. And expect to see other companies try and duplicate Autofill functionality any day now.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Walgreens adds digital coupons to Apple Pay
- China orders Apple and others to monitor, report on app users
- South Korea regulators investigating Apple
- Apple Q3 earnings call set for July 26
- Apple’s UK tax bill under scrutiny
- Apple lays out ‘differential privacy’ plan for data collection
- Report: New iPhone’s space gray to be ‘much darker color’
- Incipio to acquire Skullcandy
- Apple confirms iOS 10 kernel was left open to improve performance
- Apple leaves iOS 10 kernel open to scrutiny
- Phiaton BT 460 Wireless Bluetooth Headphones
- Zagg Slim Book for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Element Case Ronin for iPhone 6/6s
- JBL Clip 2 Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- Audio-Technica ATH-SR5BT Wireless On-Ear Headphones
- Catalyst Case for iPad mini 4
- Jaybird Freedom Wireless Bluetooth Headphones
- Zagg Flex Arc Wireless Earbuds + Speakers
- Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7NC SonicPro Headphones with Active Noise Cancellation
- Twelve South BookBook for 12.9” iPad Pro
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app