iPod shuffle shows no content
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: My iPod shuffle does not show any “Content” tab so I am unable to see which music is being synced. It plays fine but I can’t see what music is on it in iTunes. I have restored settings in the Summary tab but there is no change. The only tabs I see are Summary, Music, Podcasts, and iTunes U. Any ideas?
A: The third-generation iPod shuffle is handled by iTunes a bit differently from previous iPod shuffle models. The first- and second-generation iPod shuffle only supported a single, flat listing of content, so there was little need to organize this any further than simply listing it on a “Content” tab in iTunes. On the other hand, the third-generation iPod shuffle supports multiple playlists and podcasts, and content on the 3G shuffle is therefore handled in the same way as it is for other iPod models.
This means that rather than seeing a “Content” tab on the main screen, you see similar sync options that appear for other iPods: Music, Podcasts and iTunes U. To actually see the content that is stored on the shuffle, you must expand the shuffle in iTunes by clicking on the small triangle that appears to the left of your iPod in the Devices listing. This will display a view of the categories of content and playlists that are stored on your device.
Selecting any of these items will show you a listing of content for that particular category or playlist. Note that you may see the items in this listing appear greyed out; the 3G shuffle now syncs in the same way that other iPods do, and if you want to manage the content on it directly, you must enable “manual mode” by going back to the Summary screen and choosing the option to Manually manage music and clicking the “Apply” button.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- iOS 10.3 to improve in-app rating experience, allow developers to respond to App Store reviews
- Apple releases first iOS 10.3, tvOS 10.2 betas
- Pokémon Duel released for iOS
- Report: India likely to reject Apple’s tax break requests
- Apple releases iTunes 12.5.5
- Apple releases tvOS 10.1.1, watchOS 3.1.3
- Apple releases iOS 10.2.1
- Foxconn considering $7B investment in ‘highly automated’ U.S. facility for Apple
- KGI: 3D Touch upgrade coming in new iPhone, Touch ID and facial recognition upgrades in future model
- Apple files lawsuit accusing Qualcomm of withholding patent royalties
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Brydge 12.9 iPad Pro Keyboard
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10