iPod shuffle shows no content
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: My iPod shuffle does not show any “Content” tab so I am unable to see which music is being synced. It plays fine but I can’t see what music is on it in iTunes. I have restored settings in the Summary tab but there is no change. The only tabs I see are Summary, Music, Podcasts, and iTunes U. Any ideas?
A: The third-generation iPod shuffle is handled by iTunes a bit differently from previous iPod shuffle models. The first- and second-generation iPod shuffle only supported a single, flat listing of content, so there was little need to organize this any further than simply listing it on a “Content” tab in iTunes. On the other hand, the third-generation iPod shuffle supports multiple playlists and podcasts, and content on the 3G shuffle is therefore handled in the same way as it is for other iPod models.
This means that rather than seeing a “Content” tab on the main screen, you see similar sync options that appear for other iPods: Music, Podcasts and iTunes U. To actually see the content that is stored on the shuffle, you must expand the shuffle in iTunes by clicking on the small triangle that appears to the left of your iPod in the Devices listing. This will display a view of the categories of content and playlists that are stored on your device.
Selecting any of these items will show you a listing of content for that particular category or playlist. Note that you may see the items in this listing appear greyed out; the 3G shuffle now syncs in the same way that other iPods do, and if you want to manage the content on it directly, you must enable “manual mode” by going back to the Summary screen and choosing the option to Manually manage music and clicking the “Apply” button.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Apple to begin taking broken iPhones for trade-in, offer in-store screen protector installation
- Apple ordered to pay $625M to VirnetX in patent case
- Apple Pay reaches 2 million retail locations
- Apple acquires security company LegbaCore
- Zagg to acquire Mophie for $100 million
- Report: iPhone 7 to include flush camera lens, drop rear antenna bands
- Report: iPhone 5se, iPad Air 3 set for March 15 unveil
- Alleged iPad Air 3 drawing shows Smart Connector, four speakers, camera flash
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!