iPod shuffling problems
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: The “Shuffle by Album” function doesn’t seem to work properly on my 5th-generation model. Shouldn’t it select another album from the artist I’m listening to, after I’m done with the album I initially selected? Right now, it just stops and returns to the main menu. Is this a known bug?
A: You’re slightly misunderstanding the iPod’s shuffling features.
The iPod’s “Shuffle by Album” feature and the similar “Shuffle by Songs” feature do not supercede the iPod’s “Now Playing” container, picking from any of the music stored in your entire library. Rather, when you play a group of songs - whether from an Artist, Playlist, or Album - the shuffle settings only apply only within that group of songs.
Thus, the “Shuffle by Album” feature would work as you’ve described if you had initially started playing the entirety of that Artist’s music by hitting the “Play” button while the artist name was highlighted. Since you selected a single album, the iPod simply ran out of music in its “container” at the end of the album you selected to play, and thus had nothing else to shuffle to.
The tradeoff with this method? You don’t get to decide what comes first. To get around this issue, try making an On-the-Go playlist before beginning to play music. Add albums to an On-the-Go playlist, starting with the album you’d like to hear now, then proceed with others you’d like to shuffle to randomly. Set the iPod to “Shuffle by Album,” and play this playlist.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple releases iOS 10.1, tvOS 10.0.1, watchOS 3.1
- New details about Apple Watch Nike+ exclusives, availability
- Apple’s website hints at possible Apple Pay launch in Germany
- ConnectSense Smart Outlet adds power monitoring, reduces price
- Automatic releases new Automatic Lite version of car monitoring accessory
- Apple releases fourth tvOS 10.0.1 beta
- iOS dev finds unimplemented one-handed keyboard in iOS code
- Apple sends out press invites for ‘Hello Again’ Oct. 27 Mac event
- Apple releases fifth beta of iOS 10.1 to developers
- Apple partners with builders to include HomeKit-enabled devices in new homes
- Bowers & Wilkins P3 Series 2 Headphones
- Incase Icon, Pop, and Textured Snap for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Philips Hue Motion Sensor
- Bowers & Wilkins P9 Signature Headphones
- Tech Armor FlexProtect and Shock Flex for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- SwitchEasy Flash and Fleur for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Blue Microphones Raspberry Mobile Microphone
- Incipio Haven for iPhone 7 and Reprieve Sport for iPhone 7 Plus
- Mophie Hold Force Magnetic Case System for iPhone 7
- Speck Presidio and Tech21 Evo Tactical for iPhone 7
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps