iPod touch 2G and Dock audio | iLounge Article

Article

iPod touch 2G and Dock audio

Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.

View the complete Ask iLounge archives...

Q: Is there a dock for the iPod touch 2G that will allow me to connect my external headphones as if the iPod wasn’t on a dock? Seems all the existing docks have only a line out with no headphone amplification capability.

- Lance

A: The output from the iPod Dock Connector is intended to be a “line-out” level output which bypasses the internal headphone circuitry on the device. Theoretically this provides cleaner sound output when connecting to your own speakers or stereo system, since your signal is not passing through two different amplifiers.

Apple’s own Universal Dock provides volume control, but it should be noted that this attenuates the volume, rather than amplifying it. In other words, it does not include any amplifier circuitry, but simply allows you to reduce the volume based on the iPod’s own volume settings. Since these docks require an Apple authentication chip to communicate the volume control signal with the iPod itself, most third-party manufacturers have not chosen to implement this feature on their own docks.

« iPhone Gems: Sports Games - Golf, Baseball, Pool, Boxing, Skee-Ball + Air Hockey

Playing iPod through secondary computer »

Comments

I am using iphoto version 2.  I have a ipod classic.  How can I add photos to the ipod using iphot version 2?  I have a B/w 350 htz tower.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on March 21, 2009 at 8:57 PM (CDT)

I am a senior without much technology sense.  I wonder if I can use an Ipod to download books from cd’s for traveling instead of hauling my old cd player.  If so, what size memory/which Ipod do I need to hold 5-6 books, i.e. which Ipod to buy? Can I change “memory cards” to have more books? How do I download?  How do I find the books or where I left off in the book when I turn the Ipod off.  know there are other devices, like at Amazon, but I already bought the books on cd and want to make use of them.  Thank you

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on March 22, 2009 at 9:19 AM (CDT)

I have a 2G iphone.
Can I sync my iphone on computers?
I have an iMac desktop and a Acer PC notebook.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on March 22, 2009 at 12:00 PM (CDT)

I have an iMac desktop computer and a Acer
notebook.
Can I sync my 2G iphone to both computers?

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on March 22, 2009 at 12:04 PM (CDT)

I got a new 3G iPhone & it will not recognize my Plantronics Voyager 520 bluetooth.  It was great with my old iPhone, but this new one is stuck in perpetual “searching” mode.
I have read enough review & questions to blow my brain, but no one answers the real question.  This is a common question & it is commonly unanswered in every blog or Q&A;site I have found.
I do know how to get the iPhone to try & search for it, but it does not work.
Any help would be appreciated.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on April 3, 2009 at 12:57 AM (CDT)

Is there a way to put iTunes movies in my library onto a USB drive?  And then go from the USB drive to another computer’s iTune’s library?

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on April 6, 2009 at 6:17 PM (CDT)

I i recently bought a 3g shuffle and was wondering what 3rd paarty accessoroies are available? Mainly because i don’t llike the headphones. Also, are there any places out there that can fix my 30gig classic?

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on May 7, 2009 at 6:33 PM (CDT)