iPod touch accessibility settings
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have an 8GB iPod touch and have recently updated my software on it. The new version is 3.1.1. I want to know how I can have themes installed on it. Even on the Apple site I see a new black theme which we can access by going to the Accessibility section under settings. However, I am not able to see any such option.
A: In its standard configuration the iPod touch does not have any type of customizable theme support beyond reorganizing the icons on your home screens. The accessibility option provides a slightly different look intended to aid readability for the visually impaired, and is not a “theme” per se. That said, only the iPhone 3GS and the third-generation iPod touch models (32GB/64GB) presently support any of the accessibility features. The 8GB iPod touch currently being sold by Apple is last year’s second-generation iPod touch that has simply not been discontinued.
The only way to set up additional themes for the iPhone or iPod touch at this point is to jailbreak your device and install a third-party software replacement for the default “Springboard” home screen app. Several developers in the jailbreak community have written replacement applications that provide enhanced theme support, however by jailbreaking your device you are essentially using it outside of Apple’s normal terms and conditions and will be in an unsupported configuration. Applications for jailbroken devices are not tested or supported by Apple in any way, and many of the background applications that extend or replace Apple’s own built-in applications may have an impact on the stability or battery life of your device.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report: AirPods delay due to problems with wireless audio synchronization
- Apple offering hands-on demos of Super Mario Run in stores
- Report: Apple pursuing studio agreements for early movie rentals
- Apple releases seventh beta of iOS 10.2 to developers
- Apple makes its picks for best iPhone, iPad and Apple TV apps of 2016
- Apple acknowledges Apple Music now includes ‘all the benefits of iTunes Match’
- Apple Music tops 20 million subscribers
- Apple blames ‘external factors’ for iPhone fires in China
- Rumor: 2017 iPhones won’t include glass chassis or wireless charging; will add red color
- Top Apple supplier Foxconn planning U.S. investment
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Brydge 12.9 iPad Pro Keyboard
- Sen.se GuardPeanut
- iHome iZBT10 Zenergy Bedside Sleep Therapy Speaker
- Twelve South HiRise Duet for Apple Watch and iPhone
- IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitor
- JBL Under Armour Sport Wireless Heart Rate Headphones
- Edifier e235 Luna E Speaker System
- Clamcase ClamCase+ for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10