iPod touch and external keyboards
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I had a question. I currently have an iPod touch. I am not sure on the version, but I believe it is one of the newer ones though. I didn’t want to spend the money to get an iPad just yet. I am currently enrolled in college and my computer is about to call it quits and I can not really bring it to class. Could I use the docking station keyboard for the iPod I have? I would like to be able to type on a keyboard so it can go onto my iPod then I can e-mail it to myself or something along those lines.
A: Yes, despite the name the iPad Keyboard Dock can be used with any iPod touch or iPhone running iOS 4 or later. Notably, this excludes the original first-generation iPod touch since this model does not support iOS 4. All later iPod touch models released from 2008 onward are iOS 4 compatible and can be used with the iPad Keyboard Dock.
The biggest issue to keep in mind is that the iPad Keyboard Dock is designed to fit an iPad, and other devices may simply not fit properly in the actual dock. The iPod touch is thin enough that it shouldn’t be a problem, and in fact will even work with some cases as well. The iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS will be a slightly tighter fit, and the iPhone 4 will not fit at all, even though it would otherwise be electronically compatible with the keyboard.
Note that the third- and fourth-generation iPod touch and iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 also support wireless Bluetooth keyboards under iOS 4. The iPad Keyboard Dock is not particularly portable compared to many of the wireless Bluetooth keyboard options available, which range from Apple’s own wireless keyboard to a wide array of third-party keyboards that range from full-size traditional keyboard to folding keyboards that can be carried in your pocket.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Apple to begin taking broken iPhones for trade-in, offer in-store screen protector installation
- Apple ordered to pay $625M to VirnetX in patent case
- Apple Pay reaches 2 million retail locations
- Apple acquires security company LegbaCore
- Zagg to acquire Mophie for $100 million
- Report: iPhone 7 to include flush camera lens, drop rear antenna bands
- Report: iPhone 5se, iPad Air 3 set for March 15 unveil
- Alleged iPad Air 3 drawing shows Smart Connector, four speakers, camera flash
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!