iPod touch and external keyboards
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I had a question. I currently have an iPod touch. I am not sure on the version, but I believe it is one of the newer ones though. I didn’t want to spend the money to get an iPad just yet. I am currently enrolled in college and my computer is about to call it quits and I can not really bring it to class. Could I use the docking station keyboard for the iPod I have? I would like to be able to type on a keyboard so it can go onto my iPod then I can e-mail it to myself or something along those lines.
A: Yes, despite the name the iPad Keyboard Dock can be used with any iPod touch or iPhone running iOS 4 or later. Notably, this excludes the original first-generation iPod touch since this model does not support iOS 4. All later iPod touch models released from 2008 onward are iOS 4 compatible and can be used with the iPad Keyboard Dock.
The biggest issue to keep in mind is that the iPad Keyboard Dock is designed to fit an iPad, and other devices may simply not fit properly in the actual dock. The iPod touch is thin enough that it shouldn’t be a problem, and in fact will even work with some cases as well. The iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS will be a slightly tighter fit, and the iPhone 4 will not fit at all, even though it would otherwise be electronically compatible with the keyboard.
Note that the third- and fourth-generation iPod touch and iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 also support wireless Bluetooth keyboards under iOS 4. The iPad Keyboard Dock is not particularly portable compared to many of the wireless Bluetooth keyboard options available, which range from Apple’s own wireless keyboard to a wide array of third-party keyboards that range from full-size traditional keyboard to folding keyboards that can be carried in your pocket.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- ‘iPhone 8’ to have curved OLED screen, ditch Lightning port for USB-C across all models
- Apple releases fourth betas of iOS 10.3 + watchOS 3.2 to developers
- Third-party screen repairs no longer void iPhone warranty
- iDevices adds dynamic automation, enhanced scheduling to ‘Connected’ app for HomeKit
- Apple reports that iOS 10.2.1 significantly reduces unexpected iPhone 6s shutdown issues
- Mobiata announces sunset of FlightTrack 5 and FlightBoard apps
- Harman announces first Wireless CarPlay implementation
- Report: Apple still considering several possible wireless charging solutions for ‘iPhone 8’
- Mini Metro adds Endless Mode
- Apple issues statement opposing Trump administration’s rescission of transgender rights
- Soundcast VG1 Bluetooth Speaker
- PureGear PureSwitch HomeKit-enabled Wireless Smart Plug
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10