iPod touch and wired networks
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: My workplace doesn’t have Wi-fi but we have wired connections everywhere. Is there an app or hardware solution for my iPod touch 4G to use a wired network when I’m cabled to a computer with such a connection via its Dock Connector port? This would also be useful in hotels without Wi-Fi.
A: The iPod touch operating system simply does not support accessing a network connection through the Dock Connector, so there is no utility that will be able to do this unless you’ve hacked or jailbroken your device to allow for the installation of third-party drivers.
The better solution, however, is simply to purchase a small mobile Wi-Fi access point such as the Apple Airport Express. These devices sell for around $100 and can be used to connect to a wired Ethernet connection and create your own Wi-Fi hotspot that you can connect to from any Wi-Fi device, including your iPod touch. Note that any portable Wi-Fi router can be used for this as Wi-Fi is a standard protocol, however the Apple Airport Express is particularly portable as it plugs directly into the wall without the need for a separate power cable and has the additional advantage of providing an audio output port that you can use to stream music wirelessly to a set of speakers via AirPlay from your iPod touch or a computer running iTunes.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple Music Connect to take backseat in iOS 10?
- Apple, others seeking large expanse of land for autonomous car facility
- Apple Music launches $5-per-month student discount plan
- Apple partners with SAP for mobile enterprise solutions
- Apple adds Accessibility section to its online store
- LAPD hacked into iPhone 5s for murder investigation
- More details emerge on Apple Music overhaul
- iPhone tops Time’s list of most influential gadgets
- Kohl’s integrates rewards system with Apple Pay
- Apple hires ex-Nest exec to aid in health initiatives
- August Doorbell Cam
- August Smart Lock HomeKit enabled + Smart Keypad
- ecobee3 HomeKit-enabled smart Wi-Fi thermostat
- Zagg Now Cam
- Yantouch EyE Portable Wireless Speaker
- Netatmo Wind Gauge
- Incipio Stashback for iPhone 6/6s
- Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt with HomeKit support
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad mini 4
- Brydge BrydgeMini II Keyboard for iPad mini 4
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)