iPod touch diagnostic mode, revealed in pictures | iLounge Article

Article

iPod touch diagnostic mode, revealed in pictures

If you’ve wondered how the classic iPod diagnostic mode has changed for Apple’s newer touch-screen-based iPods, we now have answers. Thanks to iLounge reader Joseph Olenick, the iPod touch’s complete diagnostic mode has been laid out in this series of pictures, which step through the following test features:

Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Battery, Accelerometer, Buttons, Speaker, Touch, Serial Number, Ambient Light, Headphones, and Temperature. These features appear to encompass features that are in the iPhone, but not all in the iPod touch.

You can see the photos for yourself below. Enjoy!

« iLounge Blocks Product Comment Astroturfing

Ten Things You Need to Know About iPod touch »

Comments

this is very good that you have found a way to get in but i would like to know how to do it bc i i would love to get the bluetooth working bc i may know how to get it on bc i happen to be friends with someone who works at apple and works in the software department and i could get him to tell me how to turn it on but he told me that i would have to find out how to get in to the diagnostic first so could you tell me how to get in to the diagnostic

Posted by systemofthe666 on December 29, 2007 at 7:30 PM (CST)

Hey systemofthe666, the iPod Touch has no Bluetooth.  So I doubt you have a friend at Apple and I’m pretty sure your whole statement is one huge lie.

Quit making stuff up.  If you are talking about the iPhone, it is in the settings off of the home screen under general.

Posted by callforhelp62 on January 23, 2008 at 4:23 PM (CST)

Hey there… I’ve have the iPod Touch for just over a month now and just did the software upgrade on it about a week ago.

My problem is that today after I did a sync using iTunes, I disconnected my iPod Touch and took off for an appointment…took it out to get into it and it seemed totally dead…

There is no sign of power.  Pushing on the “On/Off” power button on the top left corner won’t give the ‘boot-up’ Apple, nor does the ‘menu’ button bring anything up either.

Is there a way to reset or manually cycle the iPod Touch or put it into a “Diag” mode?  I’m stuck…

Posted by Brianzfun on February 5, 2008 at 10:05 PM (CST)

actually the ipod touch does have the blue tooth program,just not the hardware.this is because the ipod touch runs on the same mac os operating system as the iphone 1.1.2.
so systemofthe666 is not lying.

Posted by jhd555 on October 8, 2008 at 6:32 PM (CDT)

The Second Generation iPod Touch has bluetooth hardware. It has the Nike + iPod feature, which uses bluetooth to wirelessley sync to the Nike device.

Posted by Mike Unt on December 12, 2008 at 10:07 PM (CST)

ok..so..it has bluetooth hardware..how can i syc it to my IPtouch 2g with 2,2?  im assuming i can use my Jabra blue tooth to talk will using my fring calling app?..the blue tooth is for talking when i get a call..

Posted by larry on January 7, 2009 at 7:23 PM (CST)

so is it or is it not possible to have bluetooth functioning on an iPod touch. I’m confused.

Posted by William spicer on January 26, 2009 at 2:58 AM (CST)

I think all would be interested in hearing how to get here, even if most of us would never actually do it to get there.  Does that same method work on the iPhone and iPhone 3G and both versions of the Touch?

-Brian

Posted by Brianbobcat on March 9, 2009 at 7:55 PM (CDT)

Yup, want to jump in - any notes on how to push an iPhone into this mode? I have XCode and the whole ball of wax here, but haven’t touched the dev kit since I DLd it (when it was beta) LOL ... and the Cocoa & Objective C manuals sit with backs unbroken on my desk…

Posted by perkiset on March 9, 2009 at 10:18 PM (CDT)

Ok, so what is the trick to enter this mode on iPhone?

Posted by libertyforall on March 10, 2009 at 12:29 AM (CDT)

To the best of our knowledge, no one has ever figured out how to enter this mode on the iPhone or iPod touch with standard inputs. A small number of devices shipped from the factory in this mode for some reason.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on March 10, 2009 at 12:29 PM (CDT)

Well, bluetooth technology is in the ithouch and will be used for games with the new 3.0 update, u will be able to play with or against other itouches around u through bluetooth, but we have to wait for the 3.0 update.

Posted by Edward c on March 26, 2009 at 6:59 PM (CDT)

so is it possible or not?! if so how do you get there Jeremy?

Posted by Bsquidwrd on March 29, 2009 at 9:26 AM (CDT)

So is this one of the iPod touches that shipped in diagnostic mode or did you somehow enter diagnostic mode by yourself???

Posted by Logan on April 27, 2009 at 10:44 PM (CDT)

hey men, i have an Ipod Touch 2g And it has the Bluetooth Receiver. If You upgrade it to the 3.0 firmware, it will be enabled. Only with the 3.0 firmware it enables.

Posted by IpodGuy on July 7, 2009 at 5:57 PM (CDT)

Hi there.  I have a problem, and need a solution from any1 who can help out. My ipod, a 16GB nano just suddenly went blank. I waz playiny it one minute, turned it off to grab a bite and when I turned it back on a few mins later, the screen was just bkank white, and it’s been so for weeks now. anyone whose got advice on what to do pliz post the advice on this page. and pliz break it down coz I’m kindda a computer dummy. Thanks….

Posted by Richie on December 26, 2009 at 7:15 AM (CST)

riche yo noob now we will never find out about diag mode on ipot douch again! thanks alot :mad:

Posted by htfkid2000 on May 12, 2010 at 11:17 AM (CDT)

I think the devices shipped in the funny mode were accidents, It is probably a test OS

Posted by acrazy on July 1, 2010 at 9:15 PM (CDT)

This is likely the densest wall of comments I have ever seen

This is NOT a diagnostic mode; diagnostic modes come on every device and are used for testing which features do and do not work. This is an application called SwitchBoard. It was used as a sort of internal diagnostic mode (more like a making-sure-the-hardware-talks-to-the-software-right-before-we-start-selling-this-thing mode). There are only a few known iPhones and iPod touches that have ever had this installed on it.

Posted by n00neimp0rtant on January 27, 2011 at 1:49 PM (CST)

my daughter has the i pod touch she put a password on it didn’t use it for awhile, she forgot the password. what can we to get back to working, it says DISABLED.

Posted by Teressa on February 24, 2011 at 12:04 PM (CST)

how do u get into ipod touch diag mode?

Posted by thebenbotter on April 30, 2011 at 12:09 PM (CDT)