iPod touch shuffles songs
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I just got my first iPod touch. I installed several meditation CDs as well as some music. I have discovered that everything is shuffled even though they appear in the right order on the lists. Shuffle appears to be off in iTunes. What can I do to unshuffle? I have tried the buttons on the iPod with no luck. In fact I can’t even tell from what they look like whether they are on or off. Of course I want to play the meditations in the correct order.
A: Chances are that you have inadvertently enabled shuffle mode on your iPod touch. The shuffle setting in iTunes has no bearing on whether shuffle is enabled on the iPod touch or not. Shuffle mode is enabled on the iPod touch from the “Now Playing” screen in the Music app—simply tap the artwork while a track is playing and you’ll see additional controls appear at the top of the screen.
The button near the top-right corner controls shuffle mode and will appear in blue when shuffle is enabled, or white when shuffle is disabled. Similarly, the button near the top-left corner is used to set repeat mode and toggles between repeat off (white), repeat single track (blue with a small 1 overlaid), and repeat all tracks in the playlist (blue). If the shuffle button is blue, simply tap on it once and it should turn white and disable shuffle mode, at which point your tracks should play in the order in which they’re listed in the playlist.
You may also want to ensure that the iPod’s “Shake to Shuffle” feature is disabled in your Music Settings. When enabled, shaking the iPod touch while a song is playing will shuffle randomly to an alternate song and may enable shuffle mode. You can find this by going into the Settings app and selecting Music.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple releases tvOS 10.1.1, watchOS 3.1.3
- Apple releases iOS 10.2.1
- Foxconn considering $7B investment in ‘highly automated’ U.S. facility for Apple
- KGI: 3D Touch upgrade coming in new iPhone, Touch ID and facial recognition upgrades in future model
- Apple files lawsuit accusing Qualcomm of withholding patent royalties
- Apple releases updated iOS Developer Design Resources
- Apple’s exclusive audiobook deal with Audible ends in Europe following EU antitrust scrutiny
- Nintendo officially announces Fire Emblem Heroes for iOS, coming Feb. 2
- Rumor: Apple working on second-generation Apple Pencil
- GarageBand 2.2 adds Logic Pro X integration, Alchemy synth, Multi-Take Recording
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Brydge 12.9 iPad Pro Keyboard
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10