iPod videos play only audio
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I recently purchased two movies from iTunes. I can watch them on my computer just fine, but when I try to watch them on my iPod only the sound works, and no visual.
A: If these videos play fine and were purchased from the iTunes Store, they should also work just fine on your iPod as well. The most likely cause of getting sound without on-screen video is that the iPod has been set to enable the “TV Out” feature, which instead would direct the video signal out through your headphone port and/or Dock Connector port instead of displaying it on the iPod screen.
With the newer iPod classic and iPod nano models, the TV Out function cannot be enabled unless a compatible video accessory is attached. With the fifth-generation iPod, however, this setting does not attempt to detect an accessory, since a wider range of video output options are available on the 5G iPod, including video output via the headphone jack.
To check this, select Videos, Video Settings, TV Output and ensure that it is set to either “Ask” (in which case you will be prompted each time you attempt to play a video), or “Off” (which will direct video output to your iPod screen).
If this setting is in fact “Off” and you are still not seeing video on your iPod screen, you should try removing the video files and retransferring them back onto your iPod, in case there was a problem with the video transfer. You can also try resetting your iPod by holding down the CENTRE+MENU buttons for a few seconds to see if that resolves the issue.
It should also be noted that if you’re working with music videos, rather than movies or TV shows, these will only display video output when played from the Videos menu. Playing a music video from the Music menu will only play the audio portion of the video. Movies and TV Shows, on the other hand, can only be accessed from the Videos menu.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- KGI: 3D Touch upgrade coming in new iPhone, Touch ID and facial recognition upgrades in future model
- Apple files lawsuit accusing Qualcomm of withholding patent royalties
- Apple releases updated iOS Developer Design Resources
- Apple’s exclusive audiobook deal with Audible ends in Europe following EU antitrust scrutiny
- Nintendo officially announces Fire Emblem Heroes for iOS, coming Feb. 2
- Rumor: Apple working on second-generation Apple Pencil
- GarageBand 2.2 adds Logic Pro X integration, Alchemy synth, Multi-Take Recording
- FTC files complaint against Qualcomm citing royalty deal with Apple
- India mulling manufacturing regulation changes which could woo Apple
- Apple Music creative team discusses the service’s exclusives, future
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Brydge 12.9 iPad Pro Keyboard
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10