iPod videos play only audio
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I recently purchased two movies from iTunes. I can watch them on my computer just fine, but when I try to watch them on my iPod only the sound works, and no visual.
A: If these videos play fine and were purchased from the iTunes Store, they should also work just fine on your iPod as well. The most likely cause of getting sound without on-screen video is that the iPod has been set to enable the “TV Out” feature, which instead would direct the video signal out through your headphone port and/or Dock Connector port instead of displaying it on the iPod screen.
With the newer iPod classic and iPod nano models, the TV Out function cannot be enabled unless a compatible video accessory is attached. With the fifth-generation iPod, however, this setting does not attempt to detect an accessory, since a wider range of video output options are available on the 5G iPod, including video output via the headphone jack.
To check this, select Videos, Video Settings, TV Output and ensure that it is set to either “Ask” (in which case you will be prompted each time you attempt to play a video), or “Off” (which will direct video output to your iPod screen).
If this setting is in fact “Off” and you are still not seeing video on your iPod screen, you should try removing the video files and retransferring them back onto your iPod, in case there was a problem with the video transfer. You can also try resetting your iPod by holding down the CENTRE+MENU buttons for a few seconds to see if that resolves the issue.
It should also be noted that if you’re working with music videos, rather than movies or TV shows, these will only display video output when played from the Videos menu. Playing a music video from the Music menu will only play the audio portion of the video. Movies and TV Shows, on the other hand, can only be accessed from the Videos menu.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Apple to begin taking broken iPhones for trade-in, offer in-store screen protector installation
- Apple ordered to pay $625M to VirnetX in patent case
- Apple Pay reaches 2 million retail locations
- Apple acquires security company LegbaCore
- Zagg to acquire Mophie for $100 million
- Report: iPhone 7 to include flush camera lens, drop rear antenna bands
- Report: iPhone 5se, iPad Air 3 set for March 15 unveil
- Alleged iPad Air 3 drawing shows Smart Connector, four speakers, camera flash
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!