iPods for Windows: It’s a good thing? | iLounge Article

Article

iPods for Windows: It’s a good thing?

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Wednesday, July 17, 2002
Articles Categories: Editorials

I was probably one of the most opposed for iPods for Windows. I knew it wasn’t going to happen. It’s number 3 on Apple’s Top 10 reasons to switch to a Mac. It meant bringing an iApp to Windows. Another move Apple wouldn’t dare pull. You can imagine how shocked I was when Steve Job’s announced it at the Macworld Keynote on July 17th. I was in great despair until I realized the method in which Apple had released iPods for Windows. Now I’m excited for Apple.

My reasoning for there being no Windows support for iPod was centered around two facts. One, the iPod was one of the Top 10 reasons Apple listed as a reason for PC users to switch. Two, an iApp for Windows? Never. Luckily, Apple managed to provide iPods for Windows without proving me entirely wrong.

The iPod is still a wonderful reason to switch from Windows to a Mac. The user experience on a Mac will be better and more enjoyable that on a PC. iTunes is one of the reasons the iPod is so great, and Windows users won’t have that, and I imagine they never will. Version 3 enhances this wonderful application even more. I just can’t imagine what it will be like for PC users. Managing playlists and syncing them to your iPod is so easy with iTunes. Also, unlike third party companies, Apple will always be updating iTunes and iPod support. Using a software application designed by the same company who makes the hardware always gives me a comforting feeling.

When the iPod Software Updater 1.2 is released, it will add support for iCal and iSync. It’s important to differentiate between support for a calendar and support for iCal. I firmly believe that the calendar feature will only be able to be updated through iCal. Many people probably disagree with me, but I have several reasons to explain my point. Apple introduced iCal to work with the iPod. How do you get your calendar information to the iPod? You use iSync, another Mac only application. iSync lets you sync your Palm, cell phone, and iPod with contact information and iCal information. It’s not about calendars. It’s about iCal.

iSync is very important to the big picture as well. It’s the application that allows one to update their contact and iCal information on the iPod (as well as Palm devices and cell phones). It will carry on Apple’s legacy of simplicity and ease of use. Plug in your iPod, click update, wait a moment, and your done.

This of course does not eliminate the possibility of Windows software developers creating scripts and/or applications that will allow one to transfer their calendar information, however, it will not have the same integration with the iPod that iSync and iCal will provide. As I mentioned above in relation to iTunes, I would much rather use an application I know would be updated regularly and supported than third party applications.

The introduction of a Windows version also brings up another interesting consideration. Will Apple include USB 2.0 in future versions of the iPod? Again, I’m firm on my answer. No. Apple has promoted and supported FireWire as the standard for high speed data transfer, and now they have a chance to push this standard on the Windows platform. By only providing a FireWire port on the iPod, this will force those with a PC without FireWire ports to obtain FireWire cards. With every new FireWire enabled machine, Apple has helped push the standard. I suspect, Apple will eventually promote the next version of FireWire in a future iPod update.

As you can see, a Windows iPod could further Apple’s cause to get Windows users to switch to the Mac. With integrated support for iTunes, iCal, and iSync, the experience can’t be matched. Apple can provide features for Mac users that Windows users can only hope for. Apple can push FireWire on PC’s. For these reasons I am happy that there is now iPods for Windows.

When new Windows users come visit the iLounge forums, they can read the experiences of Mac users and salivate for a Mac even more than before. iPod for Windows exists, but real iPod users own a Mac. Happy iPodding!

View past comments
on this review in the forums. Commenting on reviews in the forums will no longer be available. Please use the form below to post your comment.

« iPod 20GB Mac

TAPs and Obsolete iPods »

Comments

iTunes is good but ephpod is just as practical.  It’s much better than MusicMatch Jukebox for organising files and editing tags.

Posted by peshman in London, UK on April 2, 2003 at 9:36 AM (PDT)

yup..ephpod is awesome. and free.

Posted by cdfreak in Tx on April 5, 2003 at 6:00 PM (PDT)

i love the iPod, and i will probably never own a mac… is that such a bad thing? am i not a “real” iPod user when i’m rockin’ it at the top of the cirque headwall or hanging valley glades in snowmass?

Posted by chardog in aspen, co on April 8, 2003 at 11:09 PM (PDT)

i like musicmatch for iPod support

Posted by ti on April 10, 2003 at 10:17 AM (PDT)

musicmatch sucks i cant wait for PC itunes (which will hopefully come out soon)

Posted by lakerslover on May 1, 2003 at 5:11 PM (PDT)

Interesting article, but what are you actually saying? Is this about the Ipod, or a windows bashing article?

Why are you so evangelical about getting people to switch to a Mac?

I’ve used PC’s for many years, managed networks etc. I bought an Imac last year to see what the fuss is about, also bought an Ipod (which rocks).

I’ve got to say if you are waiting for PC users to ‘see the light’ and switch en mass to Macs, you’re going to be waiting a long time.

Any one who has never used a PC may well think a mac is the best, but anyone acustomed to a PC will think they’re irritating and unnecessarily sanitised. I can see the good points about the Mac, but most days I hate it!

Posted by Jonnyd in My office on May 2, 2003 at 4:28 AM (PDT)

Apple seems to disagree with you…the new 3rd generation iPod has both Firewire and USB 2.0, and they’re working on iTunes for Windows.

Posted by Katherine Ellen Laimer on May 2, 2003 at 8:10 AM (PDT)

Apple is much smarter than that… they know that there will always be a large group of users that will never switch to mac.  The main issue here is selling iPods.  By offering their product into windows users, they increase their potential customers 10-fold, and in order to get windows users to seriously consider the purchase, they must offer at least what the competition does, USB 2.0 for example.  Apple knows that by only offering full features and support to mac users will not help to sell product to windows users.  Apple already has mastered something most other computer hardware manufacturers haven’t: industrial design.  Apple’s computers and the iPod especially are a pleasure to look at.  They are clean, elegant, and functional.  However, to most people, that is not always enough to convince them to make the purchase—just take a look at the number of ugly gray windows boxes compared to the number of macs.  Apple has made a smart business move by promising USB 2.0 support and iTunes Music Store for windows.

In the future, I see this move as opening some windows users up to the idea of switching to a mac, based on what they see of Apple’s products from the iPod.  I myself have been a windows user all my life, and am saving up money for a 3rd generation 15 GB iPod.  If windows support was anything less than mac support for the iPod, there’s no way I would have made the decision, and I’m sure many others would agree with me.  I know apple is always trying to sell more of all of their products, but they know they will benefit more in the long run if they throw out treats like the iPod to windows users and wait for them to switch.  Rather than say “If you switch to mac, you can play with this cool iPod” when there are already comparable alternatives available to windows users, apple is saying “Look at this iPod, isnt it cool?  Come take a look at our computers if you like it.  You can even use that very same iPod on a mac!”

Posted by Andrew in Michigan on May 5, 2003 at 8:28 PM (PDT)

It’s simple: Apple is a big commercial firm AND got a very good product. They want to sell it to as many as they are capable of, and that is both Mac and PC users.

Posted by Espen on May 21, 2003 at 6:40 AM (PDT)

A few things:
1) Why do you equate Microsoft as evil?  As you and I know, Microsoft owns about 10% of Apple computers, and in fact, much of the Apple software is thanks in part to microsoft.  As we all know, many of the so called i products were brained out and programmed by Bill Gates and Co.  Now a days, the apple programming team is very limited, and depends somewhat well on the microsoft team to turn their ideas into realities in a shorter time.
2) I see this as a PC bashing article, yet fail to see why you equate the PC with Windows?  As a personal Bill Gates hater, and a Linux lover, i use PC’s because of their superior power, availability of cheaper hardware, and across the board compatability.  I have yet to see a program for Mac that my version of Mandrake cannot run (see this as me saying i use iTunes on my PC gasp!).  Even the Mac dev. team seems to be partial to the Linux/Unix boys (see Jaguar).
3) Firewire is a very good standard, and is truely widely used in video equipment (which is the only reason that i even bought a firewire PCMCIA card), but speed wise, its no comparison to USB 2.0.  USB 2.0 also has a lot more to offer, including a backward compatibilty that will squash firewire really quickly.  Seriously, who wants to give up half of their ports to a standard that cant be used for everything?  USB 1.1 is the most widly used connection type out there, and without support for it, Firewire is done.
4) Still on the Anti-Firewire campaign:  What the hell was apple thinking developing 2 different types of Firewire?  They would have done best just leaving the 6 pin for everything, and having the power cables just ignored for those who dont want it.  I bought my firewire Cardbus card recently, and to use my camera, much to my surprise, i needed to go and buy a new cable.  Its too bad that there isnt a connection format that will work with both old and new devices natively.  We could call it the Universal Serial Bus version 2!!

END RANT

Now, i dont see why many apple users see PC’s as the enemy.  We all know that Microsoft is the enemy, yet apple users still insist on spending huge amounts of money on inferior machines, that can not even run all the programs available natively!  My Mandrake system can run almost any piece of software out there, including OSX (which i have running).

Posted by Erich on May 31, 2003 at 10:53 AM (PDT)

Aaron - you got just about all of it wrong didn’t you?  But I won’t rub it in…

It’s fairly clear to me that the reason Apple are making itunes and ipods for windows is that they’re branching out into the music business in the hope that it can prove more successful than the computer business - Apple just ain’t gonna convert all those PC users - ever!  A favourite way to change the fortunes of an ailing company is to diversify and that’s just what Jobs is doing.

I love Apple products, but I work with PCs too - they’re all just computers, for God’s sake - they’ve both got their pros and their cons… Apple make the most elegant and intuitive products, but since when does that mean that everyone will buy them?  There are plenty of beautiful, artistic and innovative records and films out there, but you don’t see them at the top of the charts.

Posted by bobba on June 12, 2003 at 6:39 AM (PDT)

nice.

Posted by Adam in Detroit on July 25, 2003 at 5:28 PM (PDT)

I was wondering if someone with some experience in using the iPods on Windows could list some of the “known” bugs plz??

I have thought about buying a 30 gb iPod and i was wondering if there’s more//less buggs compared to 15 gb version or no difference?

And how well does the Ipod work with Usb contacts, does it only work with 2.0 or does it work with normal usb aswell?
Is there any major difficulties making the iPod work at at Pc? Becaue im not that good with computers I really need to know?? smile

Posted by tha potential iPod 15gb Buyer on August 14, 2003 at 2:32 PM (PDT)

I don’t have an answer for your specific question, although I can;t see why there would be difference between the two.

I would say the following though - normal USB would be hopeless. To ‘fill’ a 30gb Ipod would take something like 8 1/2 hours, bearing in mind you’d be transferring data at maybe 1mb/second.

Firewire runs at something like 400 x that speed. I’m not sure about USB2, but it’s a lot faster.

If you were thinking about it, budget for a firewire or USB2 card as well - they’re not particularly expensive.

Hope that helps!

Posted by Jonnyd on August 20, 2003 at 5:47 AM (PDT)

Aaron:

This is an interesting line of thought - as a long time PC user, the iPod is the ONLY Apple product I have ever considered for a number of reasons - inertia probably at the top.

However, my iPod also provides insight to a number of reasons to be very cautious with Apple products:

1. I run win 98SE at home - like MILLIONS of others. If the lack of 3Gen support for Win 98SE is how Apple wants to ‘wow’ the Windows world, well that is just a broken customer service model.

2. Durability - the iPod is a scratch-friendly, smudge friendly product. IT LOOKS GREAT IN THE BOX - but I use it outside of the box (I’ve been dying to use that line). The premise of the iPod is portability - so why build it for ballerinas? The girls at Apple need to get to know the men at Garmin - they know how to build a rugged portable unit .

This is where otherewise great industrial design seems to fall flat at Apple.

3. Portability again: the carrying case provided with a $500 US 30GB iPod appears to have come from some southeast Asian sweatshop. Cheap and totally lacking in functional features. Slip, trip and fail.

My thoughts?  Apple gets a big MAYBE.

for the same price I could have bought a new PC with Windows XP on it .......

Posted by Kotbullar on August 20, 2003 at 7:17 AM (PDT)

aaron, people preach when they are frightened.. are you frightened.

ipod is not going to make people switch to mac. software compatability and the ability to turn ‘dumb end user’ mode off will make people switch to mac.

sam

Posted by sam the man on September 20, 2003 at 10:03 PM (PDT)

iTunes is a nice starter program for beginners, but on Windows you have the option of using Media Jukebox/Center—this is the benchmark against which all other Jukebox software is found wanting.

And yes, it syncs with the iPod, Smartlists, streaming, WMA/MP3/Quicktime/Real/OGG support, transcoding, visuals to die for, supports Tivo, and infinitely customizable. iTunes is a toy by comparison. Don’t be delusional—there’s so few choices for the MacOS that iTunes looks good. Big fish, small pond.

Posted by itunessucks on September 21, 2003 at 11:13 AM (PDT)

I saw Media Jukebox/center in action…....what a mess, looks like a programmer joke….to much to see, to much to keep in mind. Really bad human interface implementation.
I’m still waiting for a real iTunes challenger.
I’m still waiting for iTunes lands to my peecee.

Posted by Mozart on September 30, 2003 at 9:43 AM (PDT)

You’re missing the big picture about Media Center. It is a *huge* program and yes, can be overwhelming at first. What it’s counting on is for you to either select a UI that you prefer from the bank of pre-rolled skins, or to design your own.

I know for most Apple people it’s a bit scary to imagine that *you have control* of your interface, but this is indeed true with Media Center.

If you don’t like the default interface, you can change it. It is infinitely skinnable, and has three modes: mini, mega, and fullscreen. You can toggle between them.

One very cool UI feature is that you can configure your own HTML-based display templates. So you can make up your own jukebox skins, embed Flash or Java based programs, and read in the ID3 tags to display on screen info.

The Visualization Studio could be a whole complete standalone program. You can program sequential or looping animations using a simple symbolic, algorithmic point-and-click interface.

The Tagging Library can run either as a paned-approach (ala modern IDEs) or as a pop-up modal display. And the Tagging Editor is a marvel of interface design, made for rapid updates of large file quantities, with the option to fine-grain changes and batch process the updates either to the metabase, or directly into the source files.

Also, don’t forget that you can run Media Center as a server on a media box, control it using the built-in web server, and hang any number of clients off it to stream your media across your LAN or the internet. So in effect it can have zero interface!

Posted by itunessucks on September 30, 2003 at 11:10 AM (PDT)

And the SmartList and Playlist editor also rocks. You have a couple of dozen of pre-rolled SmartList rules, and you can make others, then encapsulate them and process them sequentially.

And the Playing Now feature offers a variety of options to interact with your Playlist:

Play Now
Add (to beginning)
Add (as next to play)
Add (play now)
Add (shuffled)
Add (shuffle all)
Replace (shuffled)

and so on. Of course, you can define your default behavior for single clicks, double clicks, and option clicks. Not to mention that MC also supports Play Zones, so you can have different default behavior based on location within your house, ie, which room it is in or which set of speakers it is playing out of.

Posted by itunessucks on September 30, 2003 at 11:15 AM (PDT)

I’m not MAD or rather Mac.

But kudos to Apple for bringing the Ipod to PC users.
I have been a PC user for ages and not ready to switch to MAC anytime or never.
Iadmire Mac designs and stuffs but products tend to be very litmited.
As a PC user, I can upgrade the parts of my PC easily at an affordable rates.

The Ipod is truly the 1st ever product that I buy from Apple. When I learnt that Ipod is catered to PC, I went for it.
Now, I’m enjoying as much as the MAC users.
Even the PC softwares support are almost on par to MAC softwares for Ipod.

Why resent towards PC users ? Afterall, we use the same mouse and keyboard.

rgds

Posted by MWang20 on October 4, 2003 at 3:45 AM (PDT)

Just downloaded itunes for the pc.
As normal for Mac its crashed my pod lost all my playlists. Itunes is as dull as you get, feature less and dull to look at.
If you got a pc get xplay and just sync it to media player simple.

Posted by Rick on October 29, 2003 at 7:28 AM (PDT)

Apple got smart when they decided to release iPOD for Windows. I bet their sales almost doubled if not tripled. I am enjoying my iPOD very much, and I am a Windows user. I will always be a Windows user, don’t get me wrong I would never kick a Mac out of the garage but it is not practical for me to use a Mac right now. If Apple ever got off their butts and decided to just make an operating system out of the Mac OS, I see them hitting a 30% market share in less then three years. Dual boot a super fast serial PC with a 64 bit processer = best of both worlds!!!

Posted by Pete on November 7, 2003 at 6:16 AM (PDT)

no comments actually needed for this article, which hs proved itself terribly wrong. iPod now comes with USB 2.0 and iTunes is avaliable for Windows. “iPod for Windows exists, but real iPod users own a Mac” ?? Oh please, don’t be so colse-minded. I used to salivate for a Mac, but I no longer do. I want to be able to upgrade my PC slowly, without having to buy a whole new machine when some utility gets old. As far as I know, with Macs this is far more expensive (and with less choice) than PCs - if not virtually impossible. I want an iPod (will get mine in a short time) but I would certainly not switch to Mac because of it. I want my PC as well.

Posted by silentcolors on November 19, 2003 at 5:54 AM (PDT)

I’ve just bought an iPod and it works just fine with musicmatch, and right now -ahem- i’m about to download my iTunes pack and I hope it’ll work even better and smoothly on my PC! haha yeah you heard fine my PC HAHAHA suffer you mac-freak, suffer!

Posted by Diego U on December 4, 2003 at 9:25 AM (PDT)

hahahaha xDDD
(i’ve just got mine as well, and it works perfect in my PC with iTunes xDDD)

Posted by elaine on December 9, 2003 at 4:58 AM (PDT)

Will you lot please stop this p**sing contest!  The Mac is a fantastic piece of design and engineering, sadly it only holds around 5% of corporate market share!  I may not like MS Windows, or PC’s in general..and trust me, I support Trading Floor infrastructure for a living…but it is the dominant presence.  I would much rather look forward with a compatible system for 95% of the market than a token 5%!  You like your Mac?  Keep it, just don’t keep harping on about the ruddy thing!  When was the last time you could upgrade it after you bought it?  Sod that! I’ll stick with my PC.  BTW, iTunes works just fine with my iPod, never had any problems with it.  ‘nuff said.

Posted by peshman on December 9, 2003 at 9:04 AM (PDT)

“and trust me, I support Trading Floor infrastructure for a living”

A wooden beam also supports trading floor infrastructures, but you don’t find them swinging their dicks around on an Internet forum about it.

But hey, I’m impressed. Tech support for a bank. Good one.

Posted by JONNYD on December 10, 2003 at 3:39 AM (PDT)

Feeling slightly insecure and inferior are we?

The point of mentioning what I do for a living is to add weight to my statement of backing a system that supports 95% of hardware!

My girlfriend is just as pretty as a MAC, sadly she’s just as useful as one on a trading floor!

Any other smart ### comments?

Posted by peshman on December 10, 2003 at 12:14 PM (PDT)

to writer… iTunes is now available for windows users like me… and i’m happily using it… HAHA, LOSER!

Posted by alex on December 11, 2003 at 10:29 PM (PDT)

IPod ? Forget it.

Creative Labs Muvo players wipe the floor with this overpriced IPod kit.

Yeah, sure the IPod is a quality device, its just massively overpriced.Don’t Apple ever learn ?

Posted by Paul on December 26, 2003 at 3:29 AM (PDT)

Heh. It adds weight to the argument that youre a pompous ###.

You dont have a girlfriend.

Posted by jonnyd on December 27, 2003 at 2:40 PM (PDT)

er, yeah.

Do you have anything constructive at all to add to this thread or is your life really this SAD!

Do you even know what the original topic was?  Or are you just here to be a critic?

Does putting down other peoples points of view make you feel superior?  If you really need to make youjrself feel better about life by feeling that you have the only perspective on life that is worth listening to then…I’ll agree with you, if it makes you feel better.

Posted by peshman on December 28, 2003 at 10:36 AM (PDT)

I blame the parents!

Posted by peshman on December 28, 2003 at 10:38 AM (PDT)

No I have nothing more to add, apart from the fact you are a dckhead.

A pompous dckhead in fact.

Posted by JONNYD on December 29, 2003 at 9:46 AM (PDT)

Well, let me suggest that if you have no more to add to this thread…you take up another hobby that keeps you away from the general public.

If swearing is your last resort….‘nuff said!

Posted by peshman on December 29, 2003 at 10:38 AM (PDT)

i reently bought an apple ipod 20GB and i installed iTunes for Windows, not musicmatch which is a rap program. iTunes fro Windows works perfectly.

Posted by vincent on January 1, 2004 at 1:20 PM (PDT)

I gotta confess, iTunes is much better than Music Match… but I still use Ephpod for quick and easy syncing. iTunes really comes into its own when all its other functions are put to use.  The Radio is great, I’m still trying to find an easy way to creat multiple playlists..20Gb is a lot to manage manually, and hopefully the download shop will be open soon for use outrside the US.

Does anyone know how to use the sorting view to output playlists automatically?  I could just be acting too thick to figure it out.

Posted by peshman on January 2, 2004 at 1:51 AM (PDT)

Peshman, you plank, I believe it was you that started the swearing.

You sound like a complete fcking prck to me. Please punch yourself in the balls.

Posted by JONNYD on January 5, 2004 at 6:36 AM (PDT)

Jonny!  Can you please try and add something valuable to this thread, if you really can’t manage that then please just go away and play outside with the other children.

Now that we;ve cleared that up, tell me, do you have an answer to the question in my previous post?

This forum is for constructive criticism and help, or at least that is what most of us are posting here for. Please try and add something along these lines.  I can’t ask you any more politely. If you can’t do it, I’m sure the mods would be more than happy to lock you out.

Posted by peshman on January 5, 2004 at 9:17 AM (PDT)

Well, I think you’re overestimating the value of what you’re posting.

We were having a pretty normal Mac/PC conversation - it’s actually not unusual for Mac and PC people to, um, disagree.

You weigh in with your ‘Will you lot please stop this p**sing contest’ (quote), then proceed to say because you support some trading floor application that you must be the expert and we should all listen to the gospel according to Peshman.

Well, I run a network with over 9,000 stations on it. We’ve got PCs, Macs, Unix, Xenix, Linux, IBM and HP systems running in a heterogenous intercontinental WAN. There’s 6 of us sitting here laughing at you waving your little ‘trading floor’ pecker around.

Frankly, your stupid little trading floor system doesn’t impress me. I suggest you get the fck out of the discussion, because if anyone is adding useless posts, it’s you.

Posted by JONNYD on January 5, 2004 at 10:46 AM (PDT)

Why are you so evangelical about getting people to switch to a Mac?

I’ve used PC’s for many years, managed networks etc.

Your point is?  I am literate, and have read the rest of your posts..Infact you might even notice that I was agreeing with you..until you decided to become personally offensive.

But seeing as your opinion is that much more important and valid than mine, or anyone elses, I’ll leave you to it.  I’m sure there are other forums I can ask my questions in.

You may notice who was the first person to post anything in this thread.

Dude, you’re an SA, that means you get to sit in a little room looking after a bunch of servers.  Not too much social interaction, as you’ve already managed to prove.

Posted by peshman on January 5, 2004 at 11:39 AM (PDT)

Heh.

You’re an SA too. The fact you need to brag about this is, well, actually I don’t know why you need to brag about it.

It adds no weight to your argument. I was just pointing out that if we’re going to use our networks as a benchmark of our credibility, mine is probably more than 20 times the size of yours.

But we’re not doing that, are we? that would be retarded.

I’m sure you’d be much better off on slashdot or something. I’m sure those geeks would be much more impressed by your mighty trading room system.

Anyway, gotta jump. Sometimes when you’re supporting 9000 users you have to go and interact with people.

Posted by JONNYD on January 6, 2004 at 6:10 AM (PDT)

iTunes for Windows? NEVER .. HAHAHA..
Nice amsterdamus you are

Posted by no on January 6, 2004 at 11:20 AM (PDT)

What software do I need to make Ipod work with WIN ME?
Thanks.

Posted by richn13 on January 18, 2004 at 9:38 AM (PDT)

Ephpod or Itunes will do just fine.  BTW why can’t you use MusicMatch “Junk"box that comes with your iPod?

Read some of the other posts and make a choice..Musicmatch is big and slow. but pretty easy to get to grips with… personally I prefer Ephpod.  iTunes is pretty, and eventually you’ll be able to purchase legal downloads through it too.

Hope this helps.

Posted by peshman on January 18, 2004 at 4:30 PM (PDT)

Well!!
I just thought I would peruse this thread, having the thought of procuring an ipod!

Looking at some of the caustic comments and naive attitudes I think it might be best for me to stick to my ‘Bush’ radio!!!

Posted by GeoB on February 6, 2004 at 12:31 PM (PDT)

There’s nothing wrong with a Bush radio. It does everything the adverts for it say it does.

Posted by peshman on February 8, 2004 at 1:15 PM (PDT)

I’ll second that! It lasted a few generations too!
Seriously, Is it worth me considering an ipod?
I have XP/USB2.  Do you think I might get the little box to work?

Regards

Bushman!!

Posted by GeoB on February 10, 2004 at 12:57 PM (PDT)

To get an Ipod or not? IMHO, you will not be disappointed.

I can’t praise the thing highly enough. I’m sure there are alternatives that are just as functional, but none of them will touch the Ipod for the satisfaction factor it gives. It is just a really nice thing to have.

Bear in mind also, it is basically a big portable hard disk. I have the very first 5gb model, which is relatively small.

I use about 3gb for music - 600 or so songs, and the rest I use to back up my work files from my office and home computers - I have all my stuff with me all the time, plus 20 hours of my favourite music.

All that in a package that (honestly) has air stewardesses saying ‘Oh cool, an Ipod! Can I have a look?.

OK, so the last bit was just a coincidence - it won’t necessarily improve your love life!

Ref operating systems, mine was originally Mac, and using Itunes is totally seamless - but I changed it to Win because in that format it can be read by my PC and my Mac. If you format it Mac the PC can’t write to the disk. Obviously hardwarewise, Ipods are all the same, so the decision between a PC version and a Mac version isn’t importent, you can change it later if you like. There are plenty of utilities to rip your MP3s off the Ipod before you change it.

There are alternatives to the Ipod, which may work just as well, may be cheaper but they’re not BETTER than the Ipod, so go get one.

Posted by jonnyd on February 16, 2004 at 3:54 AM (PDT)

I own an iPod, and as much as i love it, i would not recommend it to anyone.  the battery life is very debilitating, and although everything else is fantastic, if you want to use it anywhere but at home, i would recommend something that gets great battery life, with a few less options.

I also find its inability to play many file types very tedieus, as i enjoy OGG and WM files, yet it supports neither.

Posted by KeaneE04 on February 16, 2004 at 8:54 AM (PDT)

Do you feel like a complete asshat after writing this article? I hope you do, since you are totally wrong on all counts. Congrats!

Posted by Jill Turner on March 13, 2004 at 4:52 PM (PDT)

HAHA

“iTunes is one of the reasons the iPod is so great, and Windows users won’t have that, and I imagine they never will. “

Looks like windows users got the last laugh. There is no reason I would switch to mac, as macs are a down grade on a pc. Sure they look stunning, and are built superbly, but having to re-buy my windows software catalogue, never play games again, and face compatibility issues for the rest of my life, no thanks. Windows might not be pretty, and made by Bill Gates. But its still currently the best (for me) OS around.

And to be honest, iTunes is very functional, but I dislike the way you have to organise everything manually into play lists, otherwise you are just confronted with a daunting looking list of every song on your system. WMP, over the last two years has improved 10 fold.

I have nothing against apple, its just not the right OS for me, and if apple were to make a computer that was 100% compatible with windows software, I would get one.

Posted by Steven on April 14, 2004 at 2:49 PM (PDT)

Thaks for that info. For your info, I bought a 20Gb Pod. After reading so much about the problems forum writers have experienced, connecting to their machines etc. You bet I was extremely cautious buying one.

No fears!! Coughed up the money and plugged it in and boy what a dream to behold. Everything I wanted in a portable music box! I was impressed by the packaging, about the quality of the product (depsite the ‘China’ label).

My only gripe, is that for the money, Apple could have supplied the optional USB2 cable adaptor with the machine! That would make it truly a plug n play purchase. Instead I had to wait a frustrating 3 days for the cable from Apple (although what good service!)

I whole heartedly endorse this product for any PC user! - well done Apple.

Posted by GeoB on April 16, 2004 at 10:55 AM (PDT)

Why are all u guys complaining about there not being itunes for windows! Apple cant make it anymore obvious!! jeees!!
I know i am a true PC fan! theve only had itunes for windows for the last MONTH!

Posted by SOME STUPID GUY on April 21, 2004 at 3:15 PM (PDT)

...........ALL I CAN SAY IS I LIKE IPOD 4 WINDOWS…....

Posted by bla on April 21, 2004 at 3:17 PM (PDT)

Nice article you were dead on right both times. Not only did Apple never release iTunes for Windows it still doesnt support USB. I couldn’t possibly fathom why Apple would release iPods for Windows with their monstourous five percent market share. I mean its not like there a company out to make a profit or something like that. I mean there were most popular from the late eighties and no one that doesn’t have to ever uses them so they obviously don’t like to make money.

Posted by Ben Chesley on April 24, 2004 at 9:02 PM (PDT)

I use iTunes on a 350mhz G4 Mac that has been (GASP!) uprgraded to 800mhz, and on my 1.5 Atlon XP machine.

I prefer Macs to PCs.  I understand reality, thus I own a PC in addition to my Mac (only because of games though).  Here is my (hopefully) unbiased take on iPod and iTunes.

On the Mac with firewire it takes 1 second per song to write.  On the USB 2.0 PC it takes almost 2 seconds per song.

iTunes on my Mac hasn’t needed to be reinstalled due to corruption in over 3 er, 4 years?  Since version 1.  iPod on XP has been reinstalled 3 times in 6 months due to some sort of file corruption.  Granted this could be bad Apple programming, but in general, my XP multi-media experience hasn’t been very fun.  I think its probably more like 60/40 XP’s fault.

iPod formatted for a PC but plugged into a Mac is readable by the mac (with shareware).  I can thusly take all my mp3s off my pc put them on my iPod then move them to my mac.  The reverse is not true, as (keeping with tradition) the PC refuses to work with any hard drive sectors not formated to Windows formats.  If I want to put my mp3s from my mac onto my pc, I don’t believe its possible without some sort of fancy PC/Mac network that lets the pc see the iPod connected to the mac as a mac volume.  Otherwise, the PC just formats the drive and sets it up for PC use.

Why is this important.  Well it isn’t really, other than the fact that some not so legal versions of songs are easier to aquire on XP then a Mac.  Yeah, yeah, I’m saying its easier to dowload music from a pc then a mac.

They sync thing works exactly the same for both products.  I give apple huge kudos for writing a good software package for XP.

One other thing the minimize and expand buttons work differently for each platform.  I guess that’s Apple’s interpretation of human interface for XP users?

Also, this article was crap.  Biased with lots of logic holes.

Posted by Strib on April 26, 2004 at 11:36 AM (PDT)

I bet the author is eaten his words now - we will never have iTunes for Windows… pfffffft.  I hope dat us pc users will have iCal soon - nutten big just wanna get max performance from my iPod - 3G 15GB model, it rox - had it 3 days

Posted by Hungry Hippoe on May 10, 2004 at 12:56 AM (PDT)

Ok, after i read this rather disturbing article (for me at least), i could not help leaving my post on this website.
I am a DIE HARD PC user. NO iPod will ever make me switch to Mac.
But life has a sence for irony, so I got an iPod 3G for Xmas. Well…..it’s cool….but i HATED 80MB of support software that comes with it. At first it all worked fine, than it simply stopped recognising my iPod when i plug it to FireWire.
So…..i DELETED all that iPod support junk….yea…..stupid Jukebox, iPod manager for Windows….whole nine yards…and installed the WINAMP plugin for iPod…in its entire 97 kilobytes. And guess what, works better than any junk provided by Apple. No hustle to it, no stupid 3rd party sponsors, no nothing. And it works!

So for all the Windows users out there…..Long live king Winamp! What iTunes, what other iCrap.

Posted by Stormwolf on May 13, 2004 at 12:44 PM (PDT)

i am a pc user and although i do prefer a pc because of its practicality for ME (not in general). I use iTunes and i own an iPod and i whole heartedly think no no i KNOW that macs are soooo much better than pc’s. although mac programs arent as customizable and ‘moldable’ as pc designed programs, mac hardware is so incredible in every way, the way it looks primarily and also how well made it is and pure quality it is. if your not sure if u agree with me, right now search up on google images ‘dell pc’ and then search ‘powermac g5’ just look at it!!! then search ‘mp3 player’ then search ‘ipod’. its really not debatable! yes its true that mac hardware is much more expensive (but their software isnt but dont get me started on that!) but yes harware is more expensive but YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!! and if you are wanting to get something good then be prepared to spend alot of money (mac) and if you dont want to spend alot of money then you dont have to pay much!! (pc). although this ‘rule’ still doesnt apply everywhere though because unfortunatly there are people that sell stuff which is good for a hell of alot but still isnt worth it.

btw sorry if this sounds like bullocks , grammar wise because i havnt actually read back thru this, i just typed it strait up

anyhow seeya
jerry

Posted by jerry on May 16, 2004 at 9:31 AM (PDT)

Hey, you guys sem to know what your talking about!! im living in Japan at the moment and REEAAALLLYYY wanted to buy an iPod!! the 20GB is just a little too much for me so the 15GB is starting to look good…but it doesnt come with remote or dock? are the reeaally needed? i dont wanna really buy them seperately..i would be better off getting the 20..this is my first iPod and first Apple product…but you all make it sound soooo good!! so do all the other sites on the net! (except for the little battery failing problem which im a bit worried about but should be able to get over it). Oh, and im a Windows user too, but i believe that iTunes is out for Windows now?? thanks!

-Christian

Posted by Christian on May 18, 2004 at 11:04 PM (PDT)

Hey everyone,

I have just bought a brand new 20 gb iPOD which i am extremely pleased with, but i was wondering if it would work thorugh a normal USB port (instead of USB 2.0 or Firewire) simply for transferring music.  I am not yet able to buy a Firewire card, but will do in the very near future.  I just wanted to know if my iPOD would work for now.

Hoping to recieve your advice soon smile

Posted by Teddy M on May 29, 2004 at 8:27 AM (PDT)

I’ve never owned a mac, mainly because im a game player and there is no choice for gamers: most games are made for Windows.  Also, winXP is finally stable and works well enough to be considered a good OS.

I recently bought a Ipod Mini and i like it a lot.  I dont LOVE it.  It has its problems.  Ive had to reset it about 8 times now because of it not responding at all to keypresses.  Sometimes it turns itself on and i hear music playing in the next room even though I didnt touch it.  Anyways, it works well enough and Itunes software runs well on my PC.  One time it did not recongnize the Ipod when i connected it, but a reboot cured that problem.

Lets face it, Windows won the OS war and Apple might as well make money off those customers.  Linux might beat the pants off of both of them, but what Ive seen of Linux machines makes me think its a OS only a programmer could love.

Keep in mind that Microsoft is primarily a software company and has written for Macs, while Mac is primarily a hardware company.  As much as Mac people love to say that they are in direct competition, they are not.

Posted by rparsons on June 1, 2004 at 11:39 AM (PDT)

It is year 2004..Is there any 3rd party application that will allow you to sync your outlook contacts and calendar to your ipod and be able to view it????

Posted by kenjidm on June 14, 2004 at 11:05 PM (PDT)

How to transfer music files off ipod to pc using windows os? I tunes does not let you, so what software is there out there that people have used and know works?  Also if the music is the music you had before purchasing itunes or any of this software hhow do you keep it and can it your music files be copied to ipod so their not lost from your pc?  HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM   Questions, Questions waiting to be answered for hundreds maybe thousands of ipod users and hopefully new ipod users to be

thanks for taking the time to answer these questions     kim

Posted by Kim on August 23, 2004 at 7:45 PM (PDT)

i agree, macs are better and yeah, but for the ### that only uses his PC for internet and chatting to people (mindless ####) PCs are awesome

you see the pearson that wants a computer for that dosnt wanna spend a few grand just for that he wats to spend as little as possible and well macs arnt that cheep and the normal pearson will look at the price tag and totaly rule out getting a Mac all together,

but i think its good that the Mac and BMW are working together
and the Mac and Emagic
so macs are now in with more of a change, but yeah the main issue is price i think
but what do i know

Posted by jarad on August 29, 2004 at 3:40 AM (PDT)

but i think its good that the Mac and BMW are working together
and the Mac and Emagic

Posted by jarad on August 29, 2004 at 3:45 AM (PDT)

i have windows 2000 but i want a nice ibook…it would be lovely, windows 2000 sucks, it wont read any cd drives and keeps on crashing…i love apple

Posted by thomas on September 3, 2004 at 3:49 PM (PDT)

It’s all about money…and there is nothing wrong with that.  I want money too.  People obviously want Windows more than a Mac, thus you either support them or financially die.  Period.  Anti-windows?  Anti-money…

Posted by qman on September 21, 2004 at 5:11 AM (PDT)

can i use my 20gb iPld with windows jusic match?

Posted by Stevie in USA on October 8, 2004 at 5:44 PM (PDT)

can i use my 20gb iPld with windows jusic match?

Posted by Stevie in USA on October 8, 2004 at 5:44 PM (PDT)

can i use my 20gb iPod with windows music match? it doesn’t seem to recognize it.

Posted by Stevie in USA on October 8, 2004 at 5:45 PM (PDT)

Maybe off-topic a little… but I havent got my iPod yet and don’t know whether my computer’s USB 1.1 or 2.0. I think iPod supports USB 1.1. My computer is Windows XP 128 mb RAM and 360 mhz. So how slow would music transer b if it was USB 1.1? Cos I think it is.

Posted by Mattybloke in Australia on November 21, 2004 at 1:03 AM (PDT)

Posted by Mattybloke in Australia on November 21, 2004 at 1:03 AM (PDT)

Aaron… don’t you read any of the articles on this site at all?  I just read how it was bad that Sony used their own propriety stuff and how that will limit the number of users… yadda yadda yadda.  And now here you are saying that Ipods should only be for Mac users?  Uh… as a fan of the Ipod, wouldn’t you want your product to be the bestselling Mp3 player on the market?  So… number of Mac users compared to PC users… seems pretty obvious why they made the Ipods available for PC owners.  And besides… the Ipod works great for me on my PC… I don’t have any difficulty using it… sure maybe the interface is better on a Mac… but nevertheless it still works on a PC.  Its like me with my stock Civic ... it still takes me from point A to B whether I have rims and a body kit on it or not.  I read another article on how the Ipods sold four times as much in 2004 as in 2003… imagine if they didn’t make it for PC users… would the numbers be as good?

And switch to a Mac and spend thousands of dollars just because of the Ipod?  Are you nuts?  I love my Ipod… but no way am I gonna buy a Mac simply because it makes transfering music back and forth a better experience.  I have my problems with the PC… but nothing serious enough to make me want to switch.

Posted by joits in West Covina, CA on December 16, 2004 at 1:29 PM (PDT)

You know…
thats like segregation.. Because Just because Im not a Mac user, i cant use an Ipod?! thats sick. Im not going to go out and buy a new computer, just because i want to have an ipod, that doesnt make ANY since at all, okay i give it to the mac computer, they dont crash, they are “computer eye candy” but If a windows user wants to get an ipod it SHOULD be compatible… I just dont think your artical was very helpful, im sorry but being a windows user, this is almost an insult.

Posted by Dawn Marie in New York City on January 10, 2005 at 3:27 PM (PDT)

Well this guy was way off…

Posted by Aaron Paulley on February 24, 2005 at 9:26 PM (PDT)

i see your point ...

but if it weren’t for the ipod, I wouldn’t be a mac user today…

iPod has been one of the most succesful advertising means done by Jobs…

Posted by Levi- The perfectionist on November 2, 2005 at 1:08 AM (PDT)