Is the new iPod considered the 6G?
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Are both the iPod touch and iPod classic considered to be the 6G iPod or is this strictly for the classic? I watched Steve’s speech at the event and he didn’t say.
A: This is largely a semantic discussion, as the generational identifiers within each iPod model have only traditionally been used for support purposes to differentiate between different product releases.
Until this week’s announcement, Apple has never had more than one main “iPod” model on the market at a time, and has therefore merely referred to this main model as “iPod” with no other designations being required. On Apple’s support site and in their documentation, it was often necessary to make the distinction between model numbers for support purposes (so you could identify your specific model when referring to support articles or documentation), but as far as Apple is concerned, the devices are simply the “iPod classic” and “iPod touch”
The new iPod classic seems the logical evolution in terms of the traditional iPod lineup, and therefore most people will consider it the sixth-generation iPod in principle, however this may be a popular unofficial designation rather than what Apple will actually refer to it as.
For example, keep in mind that at no point did Apple ever refer to the September 2006 iPod release as a “5.5G” iPod—this was a terminology bestowed on it by the media and iPod user community at large to provide a simple distinction between the original fifth-generation iPod and the newer enhanced model. Despite this, as far as Apple was concerned, it was still just the “iPod” for marketing purposes, or “Late 2006 fifth-generation iPod” in their support documentation.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Apple to begin taking broken iPhones for trade-in, offer in-store screen protector installation
- Apple ordered to pay $625M to VirnetX in patent case
- Apple Pay reaches 2 million retail locations
- Apple acquires security company LegbaCore
- Zagg to acquire Mophie for $100 million
- Report: iPhone 7 to include flush camera lens, drop rear antenna bands
- Report: iPhone 5se, iPad Air 3 set for March 15 unveil
- Alleged iPad Air 3 drawing shows Smart Connector, four speakers, camera flash
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!