Isolating Music Videos from songs in iTunes
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I really have been impressed with iTunes 7. Separating content by having distinct libraries was long overdue. However, I feel like they didn’t finish the job: iTunes still merges Music Videos and songs together. I don’t like Music Videos showing up on my iPod when going through my songs, and I especially don’t like them in the new Cover Art view in iTunes. I see them as separate entities, and wish there was a Music Videos library in iTunes. Am I missing something, or is there a way to do this?
A: Unfortunately, there’s no way to elegantly give iTunes features like this, without Apple doing it for us. However, we can continue to do the workarounds we’ve recommended for similar questions at Ask iLounge: use Smart Playlists. This works especially well here since the new iTunes 7 sub-libraries (Music, Audiobooks, etc.) appear in smart playlist conditions the same way Playlists do.
First make a smart playlist that contains all your Music Videos using this logic:
Then, make another which uses the contents of your “Music” library (automatically weeding out Audiobooks, TV Shows, Podcasts, etc.), but explicitly removes those found in the new “Music Videos” playlist:
Name these appropriately, add a prefix so they stay together, and enjoy your new audio-only song list. We too wish that Apple had chosen to provide a new library for music video content - and perhaps Digital Booklets - rounding out the entire collection of possible iTunes media types, but this is an acceptable compromise until your feedback convinces Apple to make the change.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- More details emerge on Apple Music overhaul
- iPhone tops Time’s list of most influential gadgets
- Kohl’s integrates rewards system with Apple Pay
- Apple hires ex-Nest exec to aid in health initiatives
- Apple loses exclusive ‘iPhone’ trademark in China
- Apple to reveal ‘sweeping changes’ to Apple Music interface at WWDC
- Apple releases fourth developer betas for iOS 9.3.2, tvOS 9.2.1
- Bowers & Wilkins acquired by EVA Automation
- India rejects Apple’s plan to sell used iPhones
- Rumor: Purported iPhone 7 component photo shows headphone jack intact
- August Doorbell Cam
- August Smart Lock HomeKit enabled + Smart Keypad
- ecobee3 HomeKit-enabled smart Wi-Fi thermostat
- Zagg Now Cam
- Yantouch EyE Portable Wireless Speaker
- Netatmo Wind Gauge
- Incipio Stashback for iPhone 6/6s
- Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt with HomeKit support
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad mini 4
- Brydge BrydgeMini II Keyboard for iPad mini 4
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)