Isolating Music Videos from songs in iTunes
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I really have been impressed with iTunes 7. Separating content by having distinct libraries was long overdue. However, I feel like they didn’t finish the job: iTunes still merges Music Videos and songs together. I don’t like Music Videos showing up on my iPod when going through my songs, and I especially don’t like them in the new Cover Art view in iTunes. I see them as separate entities, and wish there was a Music Videos library in iTunes. Am I missing something, or is there a way to do this?
A: Unfortunately, there’s no way to elegantly give iTunes features like this, without Apple doing it for us. However, we can continue to do the workarounds we’ve recommended for similar questions at Ask iLounge: use Smart Playlists. This works especially well here since the new iTunes 7 sub-libraries (Music, Audiobooks, etc.) appear in smart playlist conditions the same way Playlists do.
First make a smart playlist that contains all your Music Videos using this logic:
Then, make another which uses the contents of your “Music” library (automatically weeding out Audiobooks, TV Shows, Podcasts, etc.), but explicitly removes those found in the new “Music Videos” playlist:
Name these appropriately, add a prefix so they stay together, and enjoy your new audio-only song list. We too wish that Apple had chosen to provide a new library for music video content - and perhaps Digital Booklets - rounding out the entire collection of possible iTunes media types, but this is an acceptable compromise until your feedback convinces Apple to make the change.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple recruits two Google Satellite Executives
- Nike unveils new Nike-exclusive ‘Apple Watch NikeLab’
- Prince single ‘Deliverance’ disappears from Apple Music
- Apple releases 2017 Environmental Responsibility Report
- Condé Nast Traveler reveals cover photo shot with iPhone 7 Plus
- Facebook integrating Apple Music into Messenger app
- China meeting with Apple to discuss concerns over live streaming apps
- New Prince single available on iTunes, Apple Music; EP available for pre-order
- Apple makes iWork apps, iMovie and GarageBand free to download
- iDevices Wall Outlet
- Koogeek Wi-Fi SmartSocket for Apple HomeKit
- Sony MDR-1000X Wireless Noise-Canceling Headphones
- FiiO i1 Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Adapter
- Blue Ella Headphones
- Apple iPad (Fifth-Generation)
- AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon Headphones
- ExoLens PRO with Optics by ZEISS Wide-Angle Lens Kit
- Blue Sadie Headphones
- Circle with Disney Parental Control and Internet Filtering System
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10