iTunes and iLife
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I’ve been a PC user for many years and getting closer to crossing over to the Mac. In my research I see where iTunes is part of the iLife program which costs around $80. Is the iTunes portion of iLife the same as the free downloadable version of iTunes.
A: The short answer is yes. Traditionally, Apple had bundled iTunes as part of iLife, since it fell into the same general category as the other applications that are part of iLife—part of a suite of media management and authoring applications.
Despite this, iTunes was always available as a free download from Apple, and the version that traditionally was included on the iLife DVD has never been any different from the version available directly from Apple’s iTunes download site.
Probably because of this, Apple has abandoned any concept of iTunes being part of the iLife package in recent versions. If you look at the iLife ‘08 page (http://www.apple.com/ilife) you will note that iTunes is no longer listed as a component of the iLife suite.
Although you do not need more than iTunes to manage your iPod, some of the additional applications included in the iLife ‘08 package will integrate with iTunes and provide an improved experience with the iPod. iPhoto provides photo management capabilities and will allow iTunes to transfer pictures directly from your iPhoto albums onto your iPod, iPhone or Apple TV. iMovie provides direct conversion of your own video into formats that are ready for the iPod, iPhone or Apple TV, and GarageBand ‘08 allows the creation of ring tones for the iPhone.
Keep in mind as well that the current version of iLife is included with all new Mac computers, so the purchase price that you’re seeing generally only applies to users who are upgrading from a previous version of iLife. If you’re purchasing a new Mac, you will get the current version of iLife pre-installed on it.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report: 10.5” iPad Pro could still arrive this spring
- Apple’s Pages, Numbers, and Keynote apps gain Touch ID support, other improvements
- Apple releases tvOS 10.2 and Apple TV Remote for iPad
- Apple releases watchOS 3.2, featuring Theater Mode, SiriKit
- Apple releases iOS 10.3 with Find My AirPods, Siri + CarPlay improvements
- Wells Fargo rolling out ability to use Apple Pay for transactions at some ATMs later this year
- Apple ‘stepping up’ investment in AR glasses, but they’re still reportedly more than a year away
- Beijing court overturns ruling that iPhone 6, 6 Plus violated design patents
- TSMC to begin production of A11 chips for new iPhone in April
- Report confirms legitimacy of at least some of the stolen iCloud credentials being held for ransom
- AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon Headphones
- ExoLens PRO with Optics by ZEISS Wide-Angle Lens Kit
- Blue Sadie Headphones
- Circle with Disney Parental Control and Internet Filtering System
- Pioneer Rayz Plus Lightning Connector Earphones
- BEEM United BeMe D200 Lightning Connector Earphones
- Jam Audio JAM Xterior Max Rugged Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- HiFiMAN Edition S Headphones
- Divoom Timebox Mini Bluetooth Speaker
- iClever BoostSound BTS-09 Bluetooth Speaker
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10