iTunes library from network hard disk drive | iLounge Article

Article

iTunes library from network hard disk drive

Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.

View the complete Ask iLounge archives...

Q: I have an external hard disk drive which is network enabled, meaning it runs standalone on the network. I would like to place my entire music collection on the network hard disk drive but I am not too sure if iTunes would support running the music from a network.

- Gavin

A: In iTunes’ Advanced preferences, you can choose the location for your iTunes Music folder. If you’re running Windows, as long as the network volume has same letter each time you start up your computer, there should be no problem. The only way it would not work would be under Windows, if the drive letter changes each time you reboot or if you mount another volume before the network drive mounts, causing its letter to be different. With the Mac, drives have names, not letters, so there should be no problem.

Kirk McElhearn is the author of several books including iPod & iTunes Garage. His blog, Kirkville features articles about the iPod, iTunes, Mac OS X and much more.

The most asked question at iLounge.com:

How do I copy content from my iPod/iPhone onto my computer?

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, Apple TV and iPhone Video Formats

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, iPhone and Apple TV Video Conversion (Mac)

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, iPhone and Apple TV Video Conversion (Win)

Best Speakers?

Best Headphones?

Best Case?

Best In-Car Solution?

Best Battery Extender?

Find more answers in the latest publications in our Library. Free downloads developed by the editors of iLounge!

Ask iLounge Archives:

1-24-14: Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks

1-22-14: Splitting purchased content between two iPads

12-13-13: Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers

12-11-13: Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone

12-6-13: Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac

Read more recent Ask iLounge articles...

View the complete Ask iLounge archives...

« Jumbled 3G screen

Delete iTunes and iPod libraries »

Comments

My c drive where my music was stored on itunes has deleted all my music,Is there a way to transfer my ipod libray back on to my harddrive

Posted by chuck mihalik on July 2, 2005 at 11:57 AM (PDT)

Help!! I’m a first time buyer, and after reading all your comments I called Apple. Operator Clint #2519 stated that without question there was no difference externally, internally, or weightwise between the new 20GB and the 30GB photo ipod. So I bought a 30GB at the sale price and am praying that on July 7th I don’t regret it! Can Clint be trusted, or is Apple trying to get rid of old technology like Best Buy is rushing to do??

Posted by flightschooler on July 2, 2005 at 3:25 PM (PDT)

RE: Davidson’s question about resetting

Both of my 20 gb 4G iPods did the same thing (first one went defective 6 months after purchase, replaced no charge). I don’t think all three iPods and all the different firmware versions on them are defective.  Rather my guess is that the iPod clears its memory when it goes into low power operation and the settings are stored in the memory.  But thats jsut my idea.

Posted by Sts10188 on July 2, 2005 at 8:10 PM (PDT)

Are there any demographics for mp3 users.  IE age and income and socioeconomics?

Chucky

Posted by chucky on July 3, 2005 at 11:49 AM (PDT)

i am about to get a mini ipod and i don’t know how to put songs in it.I would also would like to know if there is somesort of charge to put the songs in the ipod.I would like this answered asap

sincierly :caca

Posted by caca on July 4, 2005 at 2:30 PM (PDT)

What is the bst fm transmitter available?

Posted by tmoloney on July 5, 2005 at 3:13 AM (PDT)

RE: Davidson-  My 40gb 4th gen b/w screen had a problem when it rebooted that the “Clicker” setting resetting.  All of the other settings would stay the same.  With last week’s Ipod update, however, my problem was fixed.

Posted by silentdante on July 5, 2005 at 12:08 PM (PDT)

I bought my IPOD from the Apple Store in NYC in March, and now use my IPOD when I run.  Lately, the volume control has not been working during my run (and it may or may not work before my run starts).....and on occasion, the click wheel will not work to allow me to scroll through the Menus.  Do I need to clean my IPOD?  Is there something else I should be doing?

Posted by Kireve on July 5, 2005 at 5:15 PM (PDT)

i bought my ipod 20gb in may 2004, so obviously my warranty has expired, however my ipod was replaced in september 2004 because of a hd fault. now my replacement ipod’s battery lasts for 45 mins after being fully charged, but my warranty has expired. am i entitled to a new warranty with my replacement? surely the new product they sent me must be under warranty for 12 months too? please help if you can, the apple website is very vague and i cant seem to find an email address to post this query to them!

Posted by lolly_milla on July 6, 2005 at 12:16 PM (PDT)

When I plug my I-Pod mini into my computer, my computer does not recognize it. Also when I plug it in my mouse no longer works. Thusly I can not take off or put on new songs… or do anything else! Please help!

Posted by yam_soup on July 6, 2005 at 10:14 PM (PDT)

HELP ME!!!! I recently changed my ipods screenlock code and I don’t know what to do !! I cant listen to it or anything !!!

HHHHEEEELLLLLLPPPPPPP MMMMMMEEEEEE!!!

Posted by Whitley Bales on December 13, 2005 at 2:05 PM (PDT)