iTunes Store country restrictions
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I will be traveling to the U.S. soon for a holiday and the U.S. iTunes Store has so many TV shows that would be useful to own. I was looking at one that I just picked up a day or two ago and in the fine print it said that the gift card can only be used on the country it was purchased in. So I was wondering, can you buy U.S. iTunes Store gift cards and use them on the U.S. Store and be in another country?
A: iTunes Store Gift Cards can only be used for the iTunes Store of the country in which they were purchased, so an iTunes Store Gift Card purchased in a retail store in the United States can only be used on the U.S. iTunes Store. The iTunes Store normally uses your billing address from your credit card to verify your country of residence and there are no technical restrictions on where you can access any given country’s iTunes Store from, so as long as you have a legitimate address in the United States you can technically use the U.S. iTunes Store from anywhere in the world that you happen to be.
That said, the terms of service for the U.S. iTunes Store state that “The Service is available to you only in the United States, its territories, and possessions. You agree not to use or attempt to use the Service from outside of the available territory, and that Apple may use technologies to verify your compliance.” Therefore, while there are no technical restrictions in place right now to restrict the use of the U.S. iTunes Store from outside of the U.S., doing so is definitely in violation of the Terms of Service for the iTunes Store.
For more information, please see our Complete Guide to Using the iTunes Store.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple releases iOS 10.1, tvOS 10.0.1, watchOS 3.1
- New details about Apple Watch Nike+ exclusives, availability
- Apple’s website hints at possible Apple Pay launch in Germany
- ConnectSense Smart Outlet adds power monitoring, reduces price
- Automatic releases new Automatic Lite version of car monitoring accessory
- Apple releases fourth tvOS 10.0.1 beta
- iOS dev finds unimplemented one-handed keyboard in iOS code
- Apple sends out press invites for ‘Hello Again’ Oct. 27 Mac event
- Apple releases fifth beta of iOS 10.1 to developers
- Apple partners with builders to include HomeKit-enabled devices in new homes
- Bowers & Wilkins P3 Series 2 Headphones
- Incase Icon, Pop, and Textured Snap for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Philips Hue Motion Sensor
- Bowers & Wilkins P9 Signature Headphones
- Tech Armor FlexProtect and Shock Flex for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- SwitchEasy Flash and Fleur for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Blue Microphones Raspberry Mobile Microphone
- Incipio Haven for iPhone 7 and Reprieve Sport for iPhone 7 Plus
- Mophie Hold Force Magnetic Case System for iPhone 7
- Speck Presidio and Tech21 Evo Tactical for iPhone 7
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps