iTunes WiFi Store
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: With the new iTunes WiFi Store on the iPhone, what happens when I purchase an album that has videos or digital booklets? Can I view these on the iPhone? Can I choose to download the videos later, as I imagine they’d be quite large and take extra time to download? What if my download is interrupted? Do I risk losing my purchased music if I have a bad WiFi connection, or can I pause and restart the download later?
A: The iTunes WiFi Store is a nice new addition to the iPhone and iPod touch products, however at this point it only supports music purchases, and not other content such as videos or podcasts.
Any music you purchase while using the iTunes WiFi Store will be downloaded to your iPhone or iPod touch, and then transferred back to your iTunes library during your next synchronization, in much the same way as the “Transfer Purchases” option presently works with the other iPod models. This happens automatically when you connect to iTunes, and as an added bonus, any purchased tracks are added to a distinct “Purchased” playlist within your iTunes library:
Since the iTunes WiFi Music Store only supports music purchases, videos are not available directly in any form. If you happen to purchase an album that includes video content or digital booklets, the iTunes Store will inform you of this on the album screen, indicating that these items will be downloaded directly to your iTunes library on your computer the next time you connect to the iTunes Store:
Further, any items that are not successfully downloaded to your iPhone or iPod touch directly (due to failed or interrupted downloads) will remain in your purchase queue and be downloaded directly into iTunes the next time you connect from your computer. You can initiate this process manually on your computer by selecting Store, Check for Purchases from within iTunes.
Once they’ve been downloaded by your computer, you can of course transfer any of these included video files from iTunes to your iPhone or iPod touch as you normally would. Digital Booklets are not supported on the iPhone or iPod, and will be stored only in your iTunes library.
Note that any content purchased on your iPhone or iPod touch and downloaded from the iTunes Store by your computer rather than your iPhone/iPod touch will be placed in the “Purchased” playlist, as opposed to the “Purchased on…” playlist.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- iPad Air 3, iPhone 5se expected to be available March 18
- Apple filming original ‘dark drama’ television series featuring Dr. Dre
- Apple under fire for patent infringement from haptic feedback company Immersion
- CBS CEO Moonves notes Apple talks have stopped
- Apple will source iPhone 7 ‘A10’ CPU solely from TSMC
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- VRS Design Crystal Bumper, High Pro Shield + Verge Active for iPhone 6/6s
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!