Join CD Tracks option not appearing in iTunes 11
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I just downloaded iTunes 11. I wanted to join tracks to import an audiobook and I followed your instructions from a few days ago, yet I do not get the Join Tracks option. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.
A: As we discussed in an article earlier this week, iTunes 11 has not only hidden away the Join CD Tracks option on a separate “Options” menu on the CD import screen, but in fact omits the option completely even from that menu unless you’ve selected tracks on your CD that are eligible to be joined. In previous versions of iTunes, the option appeared on the now-defunct Advanced menu, and remained present but greyed out when no eligible tracks were selected for importing.
The key point here, however, is that for the Join CD Tracks option to become available, you must have selected two or more tracks on your CD that are eligible to be joined. This has not actually changed in iTunes 11, and what it means specifically is that the tracks must be contiguous and in the same order as on the CD. For example, you can join the first and second tracks on a CD, or the first, second, and third; however you cannot join only the first and the third.
However, there is one other important catch here: The track list must be sorted in the same order as they are stored on the CD. Even if you’re selecting all of the tracks together, if you’re sorting by another column the Join CD Tracks option will remain unavailable, and of course in iTunes 11, this will not simply be greyed out as it was in previous versions, but will be hidden from the menu entirely.
This is even the case if the tracks are sorted in reverse order. Despite the tracks being contiguous, they are not in the same order as on the CD, and iTunes cannot join tracks in reverse. In other words, you can join the first and second tracks, in that order, but not the second and the first.
The bottom line is always make sure that you’re sorting by the first column—track number—in ascending order, and that you have selected two or more contiguous tracks and the Join CD Tracks option should appear.
Note that you can even join multiple sets of contiguous tracks, however in order to do this, each group must be selected and joined individually, using the Join CD Tracks option separately for each one.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- iPad Air 3, iPhone 5se expected to be available March 18
- Apple filming original ‘dark drama’ television series featuring Dr. Dre
- Apple under fire for patent infringement from haptic feedback company Immersion
- CBS CEO Moonves notes Apple talks have stopped
- Apple will source iPhone 7 ‘A10’ CPU solely from TSMC
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- VRS Design Crystal Bumper, High Pro Shield + Verge Active for iPhone 6/6s
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!