Joining Audiobook tracks
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I am looking for software or a solution that can join multiple tracks of audiobook files into one single file—I know there are programs to convert MP3 files into a single file, but I’m not sure if these will work for audiobooks?
A: If your audiobook tracks are in MP3 format then any software that can be used to join MP3 files can be used. For all intents and purposes, an MP3 file is an MP3 file regardless of whether it contains audiobook data or music—only the tags within the iTunes database itself differentiate these files in terms of where they appear in iTunes.
If you’re joining longer audiobooks together, however, you may want to take advantage of the chapter markers feature in iTunes and on the iPod and iPhone to make it easier to navigate within your audiobook. There are a couple of audiobook-specific applications that can do this for you. MarkAble and Chapter Master from iPodSoft (http://www.ipodsoft.com) are a pair of applications for Windows that provide the ability to join audiobooks and add chapter markers to them, respectively. Mac users can use Audiobook Builder by Splasm Software (http://www.splasm.com), which handles both tasks in a single application, in addition to providing several other features.
Note that if you’re importing audiobooks from CD, you can also simply have iTunes merge the audiobook tracks during import without the need for any additional software, although the utilities above will still be necessary for adding chapter markers if you need this capability. Our Complete Guide to Audiobooks, Podcasts and iTunes U provides more details on how to handle this.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple executive talks using AI to boost human memory
- Apple rolling out ‘Today at Apple’ educational courses starting in May
- Smart home device maker iDevices acquired by Hubbell
- Apple delays ‘Carpool Karaoke’ release to ‘later this year’
- Dutch court rules Apple can’t replace broken iPads with refurbished models
- Chinese blog claims Apple is only releasing two iPhone 8 models, no iPhone 7s or 7s Plus
- Apple releases fourth betas of iOS 10.3.2, watchOS 3.2.2, and tvOS 10.2.1
- Images claim to show iPhone 8 prototype with glass back, vertical camera
- Apple works on alternative power sources, new uses for waste heat in Denmark data center
- Training documents reveal safety details about Apple’s self-driving car system
- Advanced Mezger aptX Bluetooth Receiver
- iDevices Wall Switch
- iDevices Wall Outlet
- Koogeek Wi-Fi SmartSocket for Apple HomeKit
- Sony MDR-1000X Wireless Noise-Canceling Headphones
- FiiO i1 Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Adapter
- Blue Ella Headphones
- Apple iPad (Fifth-Generation)
- AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon Headphones
- ExoLens PRO with Optics by ZEISS Wide-Angle Lens Kit
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10