Joining Audiobook tracks
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I am looking for software or a solution that can join multiple tracks of audiobook files into one single file—I know there are programs to convert MP3 files into a single file, but I’m not sure if these will work for audiobooks?
A: If your audiobook tracks are in MP3 format then any software that can be used to join MP3 files can be used. For all intents and purposes, an MP3 file is an MP3 file regardless of whether it contains audiobook data or music—only the tags within the iTunes database itself differentiate these files in terms of where they appear in iTunes.
If you’re joining longer audiobooks together, however, you may want to take advantage of the chapter markers feature in iTunes and on the iPod and iPhone to make it easier to navigate within your audiobook. There are a couple of audiobook-specific applications that can do this for you. MarkAble and Chapter Master from iPodSoft (http://www.ipodsoft.com) are a pair of applications for Windows that provide the ability to join audiobooks and add chapter markers to them, respectively. Mac users can use Audiobook Builder by Splasm Software (http://www.splasm.com), which handles both tasks in a single application, in addition to providing several other features.
Note that if you’re importing audiobooks from CD, you can also simply have iTunes merge the audiobook tracks during import without the need for any additional software, although the utilities above will still be necessary for adding chapter markers if you need this capability. Our Complete Guide to Audiobooks, Podcasts and iTunes U provides more details on how to handle this.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Notes from Apple’s Q3 2016 earnings call
- Apple Q3 results: $42.4B revenue, 40M iPhones, 10M iPads sold
- Researchers expose security flaw in Osram smart bulbs
- Cops bust ‘criminal enterprise’ using stolen credit cards at Chicago-area Apple stores
- Update in iOS 10 allows for autoplay of silent videos in Safari
- WSJ: Apple brings in trusted executive Mansfield to head Apple Car project
- CarPlay to be available in all 2017 Ford models
- Rumors claim new iPhone will be released Sept. 16, could have ‘iPhone 6 SE’ name
- Photos claim to show alleged ‘iPad Pro 2’
- Apple to sell limited-edition Olympic Apple Watch bands exclusively in Brazil
- Moe Bull Stand for iPad Air 2 + 9.7” iPad Pro
- Netatmo Tags for Welcome Smart Home Camera
- iDevices Socket HomeKit-enabled Light Adapter
- Koogeek Wi-Fi SmartPlug for Apple HomeKit
- Marbotic Smart Letters for iPad
- Ecoxgear Sol Jam Bluetooth Speaker
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case + Hand Strap for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Braven BRV-1M Bluetooth Speaker
- Braven BRV-Blade Bluetooth Speaker
- Invoxia Voice Bridge
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app