Joining Existing Tracks in iTunes | iLounge Article

Article

Joining Existing Tracks in iTunes

Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.

View the complete Ask iLounge archives...

Q:

I love listening to audiobooks.  I have bought them on CD and imorted them to iTunes using the (Join CD Tracks) feature.  My question is most audiobooks come on more than one CD, is there anyway to join CD to CD?

- Nick

A: Sure. You have several options, though none of these is in iTunes itself - you’ll need 3rd party software.

On a Mac, we’d recommend Doug’s AppleScripts’ Join Together 3.0, which itself is free, although it requires the $30 purchase of Quicktime Pro 7. If you have Apple’s free ChapterTool installed, Join Together will actually automatically create an “enhanced” AAC file that has bookmarks marking the beginning of each track (or CD, in your case). Incidentally, this AppleScript is also a neat way to reduce the gaps between songs on gapless albums such as Pink Floyd’s “Dark Side of the Moon.” Totally free options such as ReJoiner are also available.

On a PC, we direct you towards Download.com to conduct a search for “MP3 Join,” for which dozens of software entries are returned. We invite our readers to provide specific recommendations in the comments thread below.

The most asked question at iLounge.com:

How do I copy content from my iPod/iPhone onto my computer?

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, Apple TV and iPhone Video Formats

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, iPhone and Apple TV Video Conversion (Mac)

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, iPhone and Apple TV Video Conversion (Win)

Best Speakers?

Best Headphones?

Best Case?

Best In-Car Solution?

Best Battery Extender?

Find more answers in the latest publications in our Library. Free downloads developed by the editors of iLounge!

Ask iLounge Archives:

1-24-14: Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks

1-22-14: Splitting purchased content between two iPads

12-13-13: Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers

12-11-13: Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone

12-6-13: Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac

Read more recent Ask iLounge articles...

View the complete Ask iLounge archives...

« Thumbnail Images not Showing up in 5G Contacts

iPod nano Voice Recording Functionality »

Comments

Further to your response to John’s comment, I was wondering whether the Airport Express’ USB port has enough power to charge a Video iPod.

I presume it would, because it is a standard USB port, but its ability to do so would make me more inclined to get one.

I currently have a 3g and will upgrade to the video prior to christmas, but have been looking at the AE as a portable wifi station, and if it could double as an ipod charger, complete with a small enclosure, thatd be great.

Cheers

tl

Posted by t i m on November 3, 2005 at 2:38 AM (PDT)

also, if a video iPod ere connected to an airprt express, would it show up in iTunes?

Posted by jitaroo on November 3, 2005 at 6:11 AM (PDT)

tim -

I can sure try it for you later this evening, but yeah - it should work.

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on November 3, 2005 at 8:08 AM (PDT)

Re: Audiobooks

What I’ve been doing is joining all the tracks on one CD, then making it “Track 1” of however many discs there are. Thus Disc 1 of the latest Harry Potter is a roughly hour-long Track 1, Disc 2 is Track 2, etc. Probably not quite what you were wanting, but works pretty well for me and free as well.

Posted by WenchAmok on November 3, 2005 at 6:37 PM (PDT)

I had a hard drive crash.  replaced it. moved my music to the new drive via third party software.  all looks to be there but all won’t play on my ipod.  They do play via itunes on the desk top.  Really frustrated at this point.  songs show on the ipod screen but skip throgh. example in shuffle, start at and play song 1,  next song may skip to song 13 or 15 or 30 or 39 or what ever.  just skips blocks of songs.  Please advise;  Joe.

Posted by Joe Ipod on November 4, 2005 at 2:20 PM (PDT)

Can you direct me to this product?

Looking for converter plug, one end into nano, with USB on other end, that would enable me to plug nano DIRECTLY into USB port, and, skip the stupid cable.

Thanks

Posted by banano on November 5, 2005 at 10:24 AM (PDT)

Re: Question #1, you don’t need three smart playlists to do this, only two:

“SPL1”: Match ANY
Podcast is true
Genre contains Technology

“Play Me”: Match ALL
Playlist is SPL1
Play count is zero

As you can imagine there are other nested playlist combinations that DO require 3, 4, 5, or more SPLs (be creative!) but this isn’t one of them.

Posted by nyorker on November 6, 2005 at 2:36 PM (PDT)

How long does a tune have to play before it is considered “played” and the play count incremented? If I play for 2 seconds then skip to the next song, is it considered that I “played” the song?

Posted by Countach on November 7, 2005 at 12:35 AM (PDT)

My mini iPod has completely broken down and since it’s not under warrenty it has worked out cheaper to buy a new one altogether.  With the anticipation of my iPod arriving I want to know what to do next in terms of my current iTunes.  I want to know what the best and easiest way is to transport my current iTunes onto my new iPod?  I want to maintain all my playlists, play counters etc, so can I somehow link my new iPod up onto my old iTunes or do I need to remove the old iTunes to put on the new one which means starting all over again?

Posted by bakercow on November 7, 2005 at 6:17 AM (PDT)

I have the 40GB iPod picture. Is there any future software upgrade to enable my ipod to play videos or will I be force to buy the ipod 5th gen?

Posted by Chuck2K on November 7, 2005 at 9:12 AM (PDT)

I have an ipod plus I just bought a dell axim How do I transfer my music (itunes) to my Axim

Posted by DISABLEDDEALER on November 7, 2005 at 9:20 AM (PDT)

question : I have a mini Ipod connected to a car cassette stereo . So far it has work great. But, since i started using it there is a whistling at the speakers what make   a bothersome noise. Do you know the reason and how to avoid it /arrange it?  Second question. In a section of ilounge i read about equalizing your music so you give every song an equalized sound. Does this equalizations also goes to the ipod at the time you download music on it?

third question?  If Ipod mini isn’t anymore at sale do you know/have some articles on sale or promotion for this model?

thanks f

Posted by ignacio zeleny on November 7, 2005 at 9:25 PM (PDT)

after 11 months, i opened itunes to find it completely blank.  i have restored all 5100 of my songs but have lost all playlists, ratings, and checked vs unchecked songs.  Is there a way to retrieve my playlists???

Thanks,

Jake

Posted by JakeMartin on November 10, 2005 at 7:24 AM (PDT)

My son has bought an ipod shuffle but when we try to import music from itunes to the ipod it wont do it, it comes up with unknown error (36) any clues what to do?

Posted by maxine on November 21, 2005 at 12:14 PM (PDT)