Limiting Your iPod’s Maximum Volume | iLounge Article

Article

Limiting Your iPod’s Maximum Volume

On March 29, 2006, Apple added a new Volume Limit feature to currently shipping iPods and iPod nanos, enabling users - especially parents - to control the maximum volume level of these iPods. The feature is extremely easy to use, and gives parents the ability to pre-determine a safe listening level for their kids, using the iPod’s previously developed Screen Lock four-digit combination dial to lock that maximum level in place.

Using Volume Limit is easy. Select Settings from the iPod’s main menu, and you’ll see an option called Volume Limit. Choosing that option will lead to this screen:

You’ll see the iPod’s standard volume bar, with its peak volume at the right, and a small triangle underneath. By moving the iPod’s volume level to the left or right, you can test an appropriate value with attached headphones, and press the iPod’s center button to lock that level in place. The triangle will move to that point to signal where the volume cap has been applied.

As soon as the level has been set, the iPod will bring up a screen enabling you to set a four-digit combination code that will prevent other users from changing the volume cap. If you don’t want to set a code, choose Done; the volume cap will be applied, but any user can easily change it. Otherwise, choose Set Combination.

This combination dial will appear. Brushing your finger against the Click Wheel will spin the dial; pressing the Center button will select a number from 0-9 for each of the four digits. Remember - perhaps even write down - the number you select. Once you’ve picked four numbers, the iPod’s volume will be locked, and any attempt to change it will be met with this similar screen. Enter the right combination and you can make any change you desire.

Impressively, Apple’s Volume Limit leaves the iPod’s volume meter looking basically identical to its prior form - you can still move all the way to the right or left, but now the maximum has been redefined: all the way to the right is now only as loud as it was at the triangle marker you previously set on the full meter. Sound aside, there’s only one clue that the volume has been capped: the right speaker icon on the volume slider transforms into a lock when you hit the capped peak. Remove the cap, and the lock icon will disappear.

Be aware: different headphones and different songs have different maximum volume levels, so set the limit with the same headphones and songs you’re concerned about. And most bottom-mounting accessories, such as third-party (non-Apple) remote controls, will not support the volume cap. For additional information, including what to do if you forget your code, see Apple’s official support document on the new Volume Limit feature, and its new Sound information page.

« Deleting genres from iTunes’ pull-down menu

Queueing TV episode conversion in HandBrake »

Comments

Can i get this off the internet for my little sister?

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on April 23, 2006 at 4:52 AM (CDT)

nevermind , thought apple would be cheap about it, but they did release it in an update.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on April 23, 2006 at 4:59 AM (CDT)

i have a new ipod nano, and i cant figure out the 4 numbered code to unlock the volume limit, it came with one i guess, i have no clue, please help me! :)

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on December 24, 2006 at 9:47 PM (CST)

Jay, it’s probably 0000. That’s usually the default code for most devices. If it’s not just blank or 0000, someone probably set it on your ipod, ask anyone who has messed with it before or after you got it. :) Hope this helps.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on December 28, 2006 at 10:58 PM (CST)

My nephew got to my brother’s iPod. He changed the combination, and doesnt remember what he set it as. I was wondering if there is a way to figure out the combination ot get passed it. If you could help us we would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on April 5, 2007 at 9:05 AM (CDT)

Can you reset the code for the volume limiter. I’ve forgotten my code and am unable to hear anythin!!g

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on April 22, 2007 at 1:17 PM (CDT)

I have this feature activated on my Ipod, but I still don’t know if the music is loud enough to cause damage or not. Is there any possible way to have the volume I use on my Ipod w/ my headphones measured?
I heard that below 80db is okay, but how do I know the volume Ipod I use is below that?

Anyone know?

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on June 28, 2007 at 2:45 PM (CDT)

please help my sister locked my volume limit and i tried 0000 it didnt work please help!!!!

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on July 20, 2007 at 6:00 PM (CDT)

I have the same problem, i put the lock on and now i can’t change it!

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on September 7, 2007 at 11:17 PM (CDT)

please help! I don’t know the volume limit code and I can’t hear my music. How can I unlock the code?

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on September 11, 2007 at 9:19 PM (CDT)

Can I reset the code for the volume limiter. I’ve forgotten my code and the volume is too low.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on September 30, 2007 at 5:55 PM (CDT)

How do I read the comments to my request.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on September 30, 2007 at 5:58 PM (CDT)

some body has locked the volume limit of my ipod and idont know it, the volume is too low and icant hear anything please help me!!!!!!! to reset the code

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on December 14, 2007 at 11:36 PM (CST)

i went to screenlock and i have
forgotten the password please help me

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on January 25, 2008 at 11:26 AM (CST)

i let my cousin borrow my ipod and she locked the volume limit and i cant figure out the code is there any way i can reset it or even change the limit again

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on April 29, 2008 at 8:26 PM (CDT)

To unlock the volume limiter on an iPod where you don’t remember the code, you can try these ihstructions, they just worked for me: http://www.wikihow.com/Unlock-iPod-Volume-Limit

If you follow the instructions, you won’t need to re-format the iPod.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on June 15, 2008 at 12:12 AM (CDT)

hey anyone who acidently locked to volume or doesnt remeber the password!!! all you have to to is restore you ipod on itunes on the mian computer you use.but after you do that be sure to download the newest version of itunes because your songs and videos we be taken of your ipod(but they will still be on your itunes) and you cant download anything unless the newest version are downloaded

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on July 22, 2008 at 4:58 PM (CDT)

please help me to unlock my ipod volume limit code

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on August 3, 2008 at 11:39 AM (CDT)

Can you reset the code for the volume limiter, i set it and now cant remember da code and cant hear da music. can anyone help me???

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on September 8, 2008 at 10:40 AM (CDT)

i forgot my setting code

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on September 27, 2008 at 2:21 PM (CDT)