Limiting Your iPod’s Maximum Volume | iLounge Article

Article

Limiting Your iPod’s Maximum Volume

On March 29, 2006, Apple added a new Volume Limit feature to currently shipping iPods and iPod nanos, enabling users - especially parents - to control the maximum volume level of these iPods. The feature is extremely easy to use, and gives parents the ability to pre-determine a safe listening level for their kids, using the iPod’s previously developed Screen Lock four-digit combination dial to lock that maximum level in place.

Using Volume Limit is easy. Select Settings from the iPod’s main menu, and you’ll see an option called Volume Limit. Choosing that option will lead to this screen:

You’ll see the iPod’s standard volume bar, with its peak volume at the right, and a small triangle underneath. By moving the iPod’s volume level to the left or right, you can test an appropriate value with attached headphones, and press the iPod’s center button to lock that level in place. The triangle will move to that point to signal where the volume cap has been applied.

As soon as the level has been set, the iPod will bring up a screen enabling you to set a four-digit combination code that will prevent other users from changing the volume cap. If you don’t want to set a code, choose Done; the volume cap will be applied, but any user can easily change it. Otherwise, choose Set Combination.

This combination dial will appear. Brushing your finger against the Click Wheel will spin the dial; pressing the Center button will select a number from 0-9 for each of the four digits. Remember - perhaps even write down - the number you select. Once you’ve picked four numbers, the iPod’s volume will be locked, and any attempt to change it will be met with this similar screen. Enter the right combination and you can make any change you desire.

Impressively, Apple’s Volume Limit leaves the iPod’s volume meter looking basically identical to its prior form - you can still move all the way to the right or left, but now the maximum has been redefined: all the way to the right is now only as loud as it was at the triangle marker you previously set on the full meter. Sound aside, there’s only one clue that the volume has been capped: the right speaker icon on the volume slider transforms into a lock when you hit the capped peak. Remove the cap, and the lock icon will disappear.

Be aware: different headphones and different songs have different maximum volume levels, so set the limit with the same headphones and songs you’re concerned about. And most bottom-mounting accessories, such as third-party (non-Apple) remote controls, will not support the volume cap. For additional information, including what to do if you forget your code, see Apple’s official support document on the new Volume Limit feature, and its new Sound information page.

« Deleting genres from iTunes’ pull-down menu

Queueing TV episode conversion in HandBrake »

Comments

Can i get this off the internet for my little sister?

Posted by Myxomatosis on April 23, 2006 at 4:52 AM (CDT)

nevermind , thought apple would be cheap about it, but they did release it in an update.

Posted by Myxomatosis on April 23, 2006 at 4:59 AM (CDT)

i have a new ipod nano, and i cant figure out the 4 numbered code to unlock the volume limit, it came with one i guess, i have no clue, please help me! :)

Posted by jay * on December 24, 2006 at 9:47 PM (CST)

Jay, it’s probably 0000. That’s usually the default code for most devices. If it’s not just blank or 0000, someone probably set it on your ipod, ask anyone who has messed with it before or after you got it. :) Hope this helps.

Posted by IceBlooMafoo on December 28, 2006 at 10:58 PM (CST)

My nephew got to my brother’s iPod. He changed the combination, and doesnt remember what he set it as. I was wondering if there is a way to figure out the combination ot get passed it. If you could help us we would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Posted by lilcrowdog on April 5, 2007 at 9:05 AM (CDT)

Can you reset the code for the volume limiter. I’ve forgotten my code and am unable to hear anythin!!g

Posted by MAC6028 on April 22, 2007 at 1:17 PM (CDT)

I have this feature activated on my Ipod, but I still don’t know if the music is loud enough to cause damage or not. Is there any possible way to have the volume I use on my Ipod w/ my headphones measured?
I heard that below 80db is okay, but how do I know the volume Ipod I use is below that?

Anyone know?

Posted by IngridG on June 28, 2007 at 2:45 PM (CDT)

please help my sister locked my volume limit and i tried 0000 it didnt work please help!!!!

Posted by julie1234 on July 20, 2007 at 6:00 PM (CDT)

I have the same problem, i put the lock on and now i can’t change it!

Posted by _saphara_ on September 7, 2007 at 11:17 PM (CDT)

please help! I don’t know the volume limit code and I can’t hear my music. How can I unlock the code?

Posted by gen.midnightblue on September 11, 2007 at 9:19 PM (CDT)

Can I reset the code for the volume limiter. I’ve forgotten my code and the volume is too low.

Posted by cutie72 on September 30, 2007 at 5:55 PM (CDT)

How do I read the comments to my request.

Posted by cutie72 on September 30, 2007 at 5:58 PM (CDT)

some body has locked the volume limit of my ipod and idont know it, the volume is too low and icant hear anything please help me!!!!!!! to reset the code

Posted by ianvesh on December 14, 2007 at 11:36 PM (CST)

i went to screenlock and i have
forgotten the password please help me

Posted by eva1 on January 25, 2008 at 11:26 AM (CST)

i let my cousin borrow my ipod and she locked the volume limit and i cant figure out the code is there any way i can reset it or even change the limit again

Posted by j on April 29, 2008 at 8:26 PM (CDT)

To unlock the volume limiter on an iPod where you don’t remember the code, you can try these ihstructions, they just worked for me: http://www.wikihow.com/Unlock-iPod-Volume-Limit

If you follow the instructions, you won’t need to re-format the iPod.

Posted by David on June 15, 2008 at 12:12 AM (CDT)

hey anyone who acidently locked to volume or doesnt remeber the password!!! all you have to to is restore you ipod on itunes on the mian computer you use.but after you do that be sure to download the newest version of itunes because your songs and videos we be taken of your ipod(but they will still be on your itunes) and you cant download anything unless the newest version are downloaded

Posted by MEGAN on July 22, 2008 at 4:58 PM (CDT)

please help me to unlock my ipod volume limit code

Posted by Dennis on August 3, 2008 at 11:39 AM (CDT)

Can you reset the code for the volume limiter, i set it and now cant remember da code and cant hear da music. can anyone help me???

Posted by Goosey on September 8, 2008 at 10:40 AM (CDT)

i forgot my setting code

Posted by makia on September 27, 2008 at 2:21 PM (CDT)

How do you unlock it? My mom forgot the code, I can’t hear anything…

Posted by Kenz on October 10, 2008 at 10:26 PM (CDT)

i can’t figure out the code how do i reset the password?

Posted by dario on October 18, 2008 at 1:19 PM (CDT)

Hey to all of you that have a “combination” or “password” on your volume comtrol limits, and can’t remember it!

I got this information off of “WikiHow.com” (have to give them the credit cause I don’t know just who put it there) and it works. Here it is:

Steps(Mac)Enable hidden folders.
If you go into Terminal and run these two commands all the hidden files appear when you open Finder.
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder
To get back to hiding hidden files use these commands
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
killall Finder

Navigate to the hidden folder named “iPod_Control”, and once there click on the folder “Device”. Once there, delete the file named “_volumelocked”.
Eject your iPod. Then, restart your iPod. You can do this by holding down the center and menu button for at least 6 seconds.
Once your iPod has rebooted, check and make sure that it worked. Simply go into “Settings”, “Volume Limit”. If it asks for a PIN, you did it WRONG. Retry the above procedure.

Steps(Windows)Enable hidden folders.
In Windows Explorer,go to “Tools”, “Folder Options”. Then click on the tab called “View”, and under “Hidden Files and Folders”, click “Show Hidden Files and Folders”.
Navigate (“My Computer” to double-click on the icon of your attached iPod) to the hidden folder named “iPod_Control”, and once there click on the folder “Device”. Once there, delete the file named “_volumelocked”.

I hope this helps you all!

Posted by Chris O'Brien on January 16, 2009 at 4:14 PM (CST)

my cousin lost her ipod at school and someone found it locked it and wont tell her what the combo is. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by shae on March 26, 2009 at 9:44 PM (CDT)

Someone changed my granddaughers password, and she cannot get into her iPod.  (Of course her brothers said they did not do this.) Can you help?

Posted by Diane Fennel on April 22, 2009 at 2:38 PM (CDT)

hay ma sisterlocked my volume limit nd i dont know wat the code is plz help

Posted by scott on June 10, 2009 at 3:54 PM (CDT)

How do I reset volume code

Posted by billy lane on June 15, 2009 at 6:39 PM (CDT)

I never created a volume password, yet it asks me for the code to unlock.  0000 does not work.  What should I do?

Posted by Monica McLaughlin on December 8, 2009 at 5:52 PM (CST)

my sister locked the volume on my i pod
and she does not know the code
is there any way i can fix it?

Posted by tyler on December 26, 2009 at 9:29 PM (CST)

i have the new ipod nano touch .and i forgot my passcode for the volume limt .and its soo low.its annoying :( heellp

Posted by Tessa on February 19, 2011 at 10:38 PM (CST)