Locating iTunes Plus tracks
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I would like to be able to see which songs in my iTunes library are from iTunes Plus, ie DRM free. I do not see an option to view that in “View, Options”. Is it possible to do this?
A: Although there are no default options in iTunes for this, it is possible to setup a smart playlist to track this information.
The key point here is that traditional iTunes tracks will be listed with a “Kind” field of “Protected AAC File” whereas iTunes Plus tracks instead display their “Kind” as “Purchased AAC File.”
Therefore, a Smart Playlist such as the following, which selects tracks based on the information in the “Kind” field should group all of your iTunes Plus tracks into a single playlist:
Note that this will not include iTunes Plus Music Videos however, as these do not contain the word “Purchased” but rather simply omit the word “Protected”—so a standard iTunes Music Video would be listed as a “Protected MPEG-4 video file” whereas an iTunes Plus music video is listed simply as an “MPEG-4 Video File.”
However, since all iTunes Plus music videos also have a 256kbps audio track, this may help in creating a secondary Smart Playlist that can be used to group these. A Smart Playlist similar to the following would work, assuming that you have not encoded any of your own music videos at a 256kbps audio bit-rate:
This will essentially list all “MPEG-4 video files” with a 256kbps audio bit-rate and a “Video Kind” of “Music Video” (thereby excluding any movies or TV shows that may be in your library). Unless you have encoded any of your own music videos at a 256kbps bit-rate, this should show only iTunes Plus music videos.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple Store app update allows purchases from Apple Watch
- Apple releases fifth beta of iOS 10.2 to developers
- Apple reveals cause of unexpected iPhone 6s shutdowns
- Report: 99 percent of fake Apple chargers found to be unsafe
- Apple offering battery replacements for iPhone 6s models with ‘unexpected shutdown issues’ (Updated)
- Report: Fitbit to acquire Pebble
- Apple releases statement on iCloud Calendar spam
- Apple sending out drones to improve Maps data, adding interior building maps
- Tim Cook allegedly tells customer AirPods to ship in ‘next few weeks’
- Apple Pay reportedly launching in Spain tomorrow
- iHome iZBT10 Zenergy Bedside Sleep Therapy Speaker
- Twelve South HiRise Duet for Apple Watch and iPhone
- IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitor
- JBL Under Armour Sport Wireless Heart Rate Headphones
- Edifier e235 Luna E Speaker System
- Clamcase ClamCase+ for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Scosche BoomBottle H2O+ Waterproof Wireless Speaker
- Thermos Connected Hydration Bottle with Smart Lid
- Beats Solo3 Wireless On-Ear Headphones
- Creative iRoar Go Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10