Locating Music Videos
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I am awaiting delivery of a new iPod classic, which will be replacing a 20 GB 4th generation iPod. Having purchased many albums over the last 3 years from iTunes I believe that some of those albums included videos, but they do not show up in my iTunes Videos’ folder. Is that because the 4th gen iPod was not video capable? When I sync my new classic will those videos now be installed in the new device?
A: In iTunes 7, Music Videos were removed from the standard video sections and included in the “Music” section alongside their respective audio tracks. Therefore, if you purchased albums from the iTunes Store that included music videos, these should have been downloaded to your computer, but they will be listed in the normal albums alongside the respective music tracks, indicated with a small video icon shown to the far right of the track name:
These are completely ignored by iTunes when syncing a non-video-capable iPod, however they will be transferred to your new iPod classic according to your synchronization settings for your music. Specifically, you must be syncing either your entire music library using the “All songs and playlists” setting, or you must ensure that these music videos are included in any selected playlists that you may be syncing with your iPod. Further, when you connect your iPod classic, you will notice that there is an additional checkbox on the “Music” tab to determine whether music videos are included on your iPod:
Another way to quickly find all of the music videos in your iTunes library is to create a Smart Playlist that filters them out. When you setup a new iTunes library, this “Music Videos” Smart Playlist is automatically created for you, but it will not necessarily have been created if you had upgraded from a previous version of iTunes. However, since it’s just a standard Smart Playlist, you can easily create it yourself simply by searching for files with a “Video Kind” of Music Video:
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple likely to receive approval to open retail stores in India
- Study finds Apple Watch is best fitness tracker for privacy, security
- Conflicting reports over pink color to be featured in iPhone 5se
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Apple to begin taking broken iPhones for trade-in, offer in-store screen protector installation
- Apple ordered to pay $625M to VirnetX in patent case
- Apple Pay reaches 2 million retail locations
- Apple acquires security company LegbaCore
- Zagg to acquire Mophie for $100 million
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!