Locating Music Videos
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I am awaiting delivery of a new iPod classic, which will be replacing a 20 GB 4th generation iPod. Having purchased many albums over the last 3 years from iTunes I believe that some of those albums included videos, but they do not show up in my iTunes Videos’ folder. Is that because the 4th gen iPod was not video capable? When I sync my new classic will those videos now be installed in the new device?
A: In iTunes 7, Music Videos were removed from the standard video sections and included in the “Music” section alongside their respective audio tracks. Therefore, if you purchased albums from the iTunes Store that included music videos, these should have been downloaded to your computer, but they will be listed in the normal albums alongside the respective music tracks, indicated with a small video icon shown to the far right of the track name:
These are completely ignored by iTunes when syncing a non-video-capable iPod, however they will be transferred to your new iPod classic according to your synchronization settings for your music. Specifically, you must be syncing either your entire music library using the “All songs and playlists” setting, or you must ensure that these music videos are included in any selected playlists that you may be syncing with your iPod. Further, when you connect your iPod classic, you will notice that there is an additional checkbox on the “Music” tab to determine whether music videos are included on your iPod:
Another way to quickly find all of the music videos in your iTunes library is to create a Smart Playlist that filters them out. When you setup a new iTunes library, this “Music Videos” Smart Playlist is automatically created for you, but it will not necessarily have been created if you had upgraded from a previous version of iTunes. However, since it’s just a standard Smart Playlist, you can easily create it yourself simply by searching for files with a “Video Kind” of Music Video:
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple enables Single Sign-On across all iOS 10 and tvOS 10 devices
- Apple releases fifth beta for tvOS 10.1 to developers
- Apple to start publishing its AI research
- Supreme Court rules against Apple in design patent case
- Study finds half of kids headphones exceed safe volume limits
- More iPhone 6s devices affected by shutdown bug; iOS update coming
- Apple releases sixth beta of iOS 10.2 to developers
- Developers pushing back against abusers of Apple’s App Store refund policy
- Apple lobbies for shared data, more public road access to test autonomous driving systems
- Apple Store app update allows purchases from Apple Watch
- Sen.se GuardPeanut
- iHome iZBT10 Zenergy Bedside Sleep Therapy Speaker
- Twelve South HiRise Duet for Apple Watch and iPhone
- IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitor
- JBL Under Armour Sport Wireless Heart Rate Headphones
- Edifier e235 Luna E Speaker System
- Clamcase ClamCase+ for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Scosche BoomBottle H2O+ Waterproof Wireless Speaker
- Thermos Connected Hydration Bottle with Smart Lid
- Beats Solo3 Wireless On-Ear Headphones
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10