Locating Music Videos
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I am awaiting delivery of a new iPod classic, which will be replacing a 20 GB 4th generation iPod. Having purchased many albums over the last 3 years from iTunes I believe that some of those albums included videos, but they do not show up in my iTunes Videos’ folder. Is that because the 4th gen iPod was not video capable? When I sync my new classic will those videos now be installed in the new device?
A: In iTunes 7, Music Videos were removed from the standard video sections and included in the “Music” section alongside their respective audio tracks. Therefore, if you purchased albums from the iTunes Store that included music videos, these should have been downloaded to your computer, but they will be listed in the normal albums alongside the respective music tracks, indicated with a small video icon shown to the far right of the track name:
These are completely ignored by iTunes when syncing a non-video-capable iPod, however they will be transferred to your new iPod classic according to your synchronization settings for your music. Specifically, you must be syncing either your entire music library using the “All songs and playlists” setting, or you must ensure that these music videos are included in any selected playlists that you may be syncing with your iPod. Further, when you connect your iPod classic, you will notice that there is an additional checkbox on the “Music” tab to determine whether music videos are included on your iPod:
Another way to quickly find all of the music videos in your iTunes library is to create a Smart Playlist that filters them out. When you setup a new iTunes library, this “Music Videos” Smart Playlist is automatically created for you, but it will not necessarily have been created if you had upgraded from a previous version of iTunes. However, since it’s just a standard Smart Playlist, you can easily create it yourself simply by searching for files with a “Video Kind” of Music Video:
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- ‘iPhone 8’ to have curved OLED screen, ditch Lightning port for USB-C across all models
- Apple releases fourth betas of iOS 10.3 + watchOS 3.2 to developers
- Third-party screen repairs no longer void iPhone warranty
- iDevices adds dynamic automation, enhanced scheduling to ‘Connected’ app for HomeKit
- Apple reports that iOS 10.2.1 significantly reduces unexpected iPhone 6s shutdown issues
- Mobiata announces sunset of FlightTrack 5 and FlightBoard apps
- Harman announces first Wireless CarPlay implementation
- Report: Apple still considering several possible wireless charging solutions for ‘iPhone 8’
- Mini Metro adds Endless Mode
- Apple issues statement opposing Trump administration’s rescission of transgender rights
- Soundcast VG1 Bluetooth Speaker
- PureGear PureSwitch HomeKit-enabled Wireless Smart Plug
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10