Locating stop button on iPod | iLounge Article

Article

Locating stop button on iPod

By Kirk McElhearn

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, June 23, 2005
Articles Categories: Ask iLounge, iPod classic, iPod nano, iPod shuffle, iPod touch

Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.

View the complete Ask iLounge archives...

Q: One of your tutorials talks about pausing tracks on the iPod mini, but it doesn’t say how to stop a track. I can pause tracks and go back to the menus, but I always have the two lines on the screen | | showing that the track is paused. I actually want to stop tracks, not pause. Can you tell me how to do this?

- Jane

A: You have discovered part of the Zen-like nature of the iPod. As Yoda might say, “Stop button there is not.” You cannot stop a track. Really. You can pause, then you can start another track, but the iPod does not have a Stop button. The only times that tracks actually stop is when you get to the end of an album or playlist; at that point, the iPod stops playing, then returns to the main menu. (The iPod will also stop playing if you sync it, or reset it.)

Kirk McElhearn is the author of several books including iPod & iTunes Garage. His blog, Kirkville features articles about the iPod, iTunes, Mac OS X and much more.

The most asked question at iLounge.com:

How do I copy content from my iPod/iPhone onto my computer?

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, Apple TV and iPhone Video Formats

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, iPhone and Apple TV Video Conversion (Mac)

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, iPhone and Apple TV Video Conversion (Win)

Best Speakers?

Best Headphones?

Best Case?

Best In-Car Solution?

Best Battery Extender?

Find more answers in the latest publications in our Library. Free downloads developed by the editors of iLounge!

Ask iLounge Archives:

1-24-14: Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks

1-22-14: Splitting purchased content between two iPads

12-13-13: Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers

12-11-13: Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone

12-6-13: Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac

Read more recent Ask iLounge articles...

View the complete Ask iLounge archives...

« Ripping and splitting DVD-A audio tracks

Too many Greatest Hits »

Comments

I had a similar problem as Miall concerning multiple albums named ‘Greatest Hits’. In my case, when I printed an album list, each song from the ‘Greatest Hits’ albums was listed as a separate album.

The easiest answer is to make sure each album has a unique name. I simply renamed the album to ‘Fleetwood Mac: Greatest Hits’, for instance.

Gary

Posted by GRS1959 in Akron, OH on June 23, 2005 at 9:21 AM (PDT)

I am attending a music camp in July to which I was advised I should bring a cassette tape recorder and lots of blank tapes.

Is there an accessory available that could enable my 40 gig iPod to record instead of using old fashioned tapes?

Posted by SpankyII on June 23, 2005 at 9:57 AM (PDT)

How do you delete artwork from the album art box in i-tunes?

Posted by JHMIII on June 23, 2005 at 11:38 AM (PDT)

To delete the artwork all you need to do is press apple-i, once you have selected the songs that you don’t want the artwork for and select artwork and then delete. (Unless you have a PC)

Posted by tom.b on June 23, 2005 at 12:15 PM (PDT)

I need help,I forgot how to download to my ipod from my computer,I pluged the ipod into the computer and the ipod said donot disconnect,but nothing was transferred to the ipod do I need to do something else?
thanks,I am a beginner,hmindlin

Posted by henrys on June 23, 2005 at 1:14 PM (PDT)

Although there isn’t an actual stop button, you can mimic it’s behavior by pausing, then skipping forward to the next song or backward to the previous one.  If you want to stop on the current track, simply pause, skip forward, then skip back again.  At this point, the pause symbol is no longer present on the screen and pressing play will start the song from the beginning.  I had a previous MP3 player that advised this as the way to “stop” a song.

Posted by mikee385 on June 23, 2005 at 6:36 PM (PDT)

hi
i jus bought an ipod mini…but the ipod software just would not install!!!
The installation starts as usual with “preparing to install”, etc but then the install shield wizard does not show up…i can see the install shield installer at the taskbar below, but it does not show up on screen! it does not maximise or minimise…..in short nothing comes up on the screen and eventually i have to end task the process.
I use windows XP…and the same problem is with iTunes. ican load up the screen shot of the problem if required.

Please Help!!

Posted by teen_spirit1869 on June 24, 2005 at 5:32 AM (PDT)

I thought when ripping a DVD, you could select to rip by chapter.  Many music DVDs will break the songs down by chapters.  I know all the ones I’ve done have.

Posted by BluesFan77 on June 24, 2005 at 11:05 AM (PDT)

I have tons of mp3’s on my old computer.  How can I import them into my iPod and input in all the information so that it can be file managed via song title, artist, etc…?

Posted by ndavaul on June 25, 2005 at 3:15 AM (PDT)

OK i have the same problem as most on here.my ipod makes a noise from the back side when i try to turn it on.the apple logo appears for about a minute then the folder with the ! show up then it shuts off.i have tried everything on here that was recomended but nothing works.it just keeps doing the same thing over and over agin.even when i get it to disk mode it does not work it just goes back to the apple logo when i connect it to my computer.it is under warranty but i dont want to be without my ipod if there is some way to fix it here.help im am miserable without it.

Posted by COLD on June 25, 2005 at 7:51 AM (PDT)

ok, here I have my iTunes and there I can do an EQ something that I can’t do in the iPod. Is it possible to put my personal EQ into iPod?

Posted by Hikari on June 25, 2005 at 11:14 AM (PDT)

itunes not letting not accepting my credit card signup information. Every time i attempt to buy a song the screen “your account info. has changed” and redirects me to a billing info page. On that page appears my name and credit card info. but not my street adress. telephone number and country are also there. so i fill in the needed info. correctly, press the done key and the sreen say “please enter your country” but they do not provide a space to do this. again, the country option is already filled in and does not allow me to choose a country. any ideas out there?

Posted by c10wishes on June 26, 2005 at 8:08 AM (PDT)

Recently my iPod has erased parts of songs that I haven’t listened to in awhile. So, when I try to listen to that song my iPod freezes or plays for awhile and just skips the rest of the song. My iPod is about 1 1/2 years old, and it’s Generation 1…so I think it might just have to do with the age, but does anyone know if there’s anyway to fix this?

Posted by thekster on June 26, 2005 at 9:28 AM (PDT)

My son has upgraded to a new iPod and has offered his iPod mini 4GB to me, loaded with several tracks from his Mac. How do I set up with my iMac and not lose his tracks?  Can you guide me to previous articles dealing with this situation?

Posted by jpoland on June 28, 2005 at 7:42 AM (PDT)

I’m travelling to India soon and want to be able to charge my IPOD. I notice that the A/C charger is rated for 100-240 VAC. The question is, do I simply need a pin adapter of a full voltage adapter to use the charger in India

Jayananda

Posted by Jayananda on July 2, 2005 at 5:54 AM (PDT)