Lost Firewire Adapter
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I’ve lost a critical piece of hardware that came with my third-generation iPod. It is a small adapter for connecting the iPod cable to a laptop. I can’t find any information about it anywhere on the Apple or iLounge websites. It is a white plastic piece about 1/2” x 1 1/2” and has a standard iPod jack on one end and a smaller jack on the other. Beyond that, I’m not sure how to articulate what I need. Can you help me find a replacement?
A: Absolutely. What you’re looking for is a “6-Pin Female to 4-Pin Male Firewire (or IEEE1394) Adapter.” While Apple doesn’t sell or replace this component anymore, Nyko sells a replacement part, which we’ve mentioned in a review on the site in our Adapters/Cables section. Other generic but functionally equivalent versions can be found for very low prices at many electronics retailers online. Here are a few low-cost options found using Froogle.com (iLounge does not endorse any of these retailers specifically… shop around!).
You’re no doubt aware that the 4-pin Firewire connection you’re using now does not allow you to simultaneously charge and sync your iPod. To both take care of your missing adapter problem and allow your iPod to charge while connected to your laptop, take a look at Sik’s FireJuice products, specifically the “FireJuice 4 for iPod w/ Dock Connector.”
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- GarageBand 2.2 adds Logic Pro X integration, Alchemy synth, Multi-Take Recording
- FTC files complaint against Qualcomm citing royalty deal with Apple
- India mulling manufacturing regulation changes which could woo Apple
- Apple Music creative team discusses the service’s exclusives, future
- Apple raising UK App Store prices by more than 25 percent
- Iovine fuels speculation about Apple’s interest in scripted TV shows
- Report: ‘iPhone 8’ to include upgraded water resistance
- U.S. appeals court resurrects App Store antitrust lawsuit against Apple
- Apple increases maximum tvOS app size to 4GB
- Apple releases fourth iOS 10.2.1 beta
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Brydge 12.9 iPad Pro Keyboard
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10