Lost Firewire Adapter
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I’ve lost a critical piece of hardware that came with my third-generation iPod. It is a small adapter for connecting the iPod cable to a laptop. I can’t find any information about it anywhere on the Apple or iLounge websites. It is a white plastic piece about 1/2” x 1 1/2” and has a standard iPod jack on one end and a smaller jack on the other. Beyond that, I’m not sure how to articulate what I need. Can you help me find a replacement?
A: Absolutely. What you’re looking for is a “6-Pin Female to 4-Pin Male Firewire (or IEEE1394) Adapter.” While Apple doesn’t sell or replace this component anymore, Nyko sells a replacement part, which we’ve mentioned in a review on the site in our Adapters/Cables section. Other generic but functionally equivalent versions can be found for very low prices at many electronics retailers online. Here are a few low-cost options found using Froogle.com (iLounge does not endorse any of these retailers specifically… shop around!).
You’re no doubt aware that the 4-pin Firewire connection you’re using now does not allow you to simultaneously charge and sync your iPod. To both take care of your missing adapter problem and allow your iPod to charge while connected to your laptop, take a look at Sik’s FireJuice products, specifically the “FireJuice 4 for iPod w/ Dock Connector.”
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Sonos speakers available on Apple’s online store today, in Apple Stores next month
- Apple lacks lobbying power in fight with EU
- Apple to offer ‘Spoken Editions’ of written content from top publishers
- Apple working to turn HealthKit into diagnosis tool
- Hackers expose security flaw in iOS 10’s local backups
- Apple releases iOS 10.0.2 to fix headphone controls, iCloud Photo Library
- Report: Apple’s Siri home hub has reached the prototype stage
- Apple acquires machine learning company Tuplejump
- Apple releases iOS 10.1 public beta
- iOS 10.1 beta adds ‘Portrait’ Depth of Field effect
- Mass Fidelity Core Bluetooth Speaker
- Thought Out Simplex Tablet iPad Stand
- SmartX Galaxy ZEGA Starter Kit
- Apple iPhone 7 Plus Leather Case
- Apple Watch Series 2
- iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus
- Twelve South HiRise 2 for iPhone + iPad
- Nomad Pod Pro for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Sevenhugs hugOne Sleep Monitoring System
- Kanex GoPower Watch Portable Battery for Apple Watch
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps