Mac app for converting DVDs to iTunes
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I would like to know what you think is the best Mac software for copying DVDs into a user’s iTunes library?
A: The short answer is Handbrake. The wide range of developers trying to capitalize on the popularity of DVD-to-iTunes conversion has spawned a confusing mess of aggressively marketed paid applications that work with varying degrees of success.
However, the Handbrake project remains completely free and open source and unlike many of the paid applications, the developers release regular, free updates to stay current with the latest features in iTunes and on Apple’s newest devices. Handbrake supports many advanced features for video encoding including support for closed captioning and subtitles, chapter markers, multiple audio tracks, surround sound audio support (for the Apple TV or computer-based playback), anamorphic encoding, deinterlacing and decombing and a multitude of other settings. Despite this, however, the application also includes a complete set of standard presets for virtually one-button encoding of video to different devices without having to worry about playing with the more advanced settings.
The only caveat to Handbrake is that for various legal reasons the application no longer includes the libraries for decrypting copy-protected DVDs. However Handbrake will transparently use the decryption libraries from the very popular VLC video player if the user has it installed on the same computer. No special steps are required to enable this—you merely need to have VLC installed on the same Mac that you’re running Handbrake on and it will pick up and use the necessary libraries. Windows users will have a few more challenges in this area, as the open-source decryption libraries are not readily available on that platform. In this case, often a second DVD “ripper” application is required to remove the copy protection before handing the DVD content off to Handbrake for conversion.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple will source iPhone 7 ‘A10’ CPU solely from TSMC
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!