Managing iPod content manually
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Why do songs I delete from iTunes keep showing up on my ipod nano? How do you delete the song from the actual ipod?
A: The most likely cause of this problem is that you have set your iPod nano to “manual” mode, which means that it is not actively syncing content from your iTunes library to your iPod nano, so changes you make in your iTunes library will not be reflected on your iPod. In this mode, your iTunes library and your iPod are treated as two independent libraries.
You can check the manual setting by connecting your iPod and looking at the “Summary” tab for it in iTunes:
If the checkbox labelled Manually manage music and videos is selected, then your iPod is in manual mode, and you will need to manage the content on your iPod directly via iTunes. To do this, simply click on the small triangle to the left of your iPod nano (in iTunes) and it will expand to show the different categories and playlists of content on your iPod:
From here, you can select content and manage it as you normally would in iTunes, including modifying file information or deleting tracks. You can also add, remove and manage playlists from here, directly on your device.
Alternatively, if you would simply like to return to automatic synchronization, where your iPod nano does mirror the content of your iTunes library, simply UNcheck the box to Manually manage music and videos in your device’s summary tab as shown above, and then click “Apply” and your iPod will sync with your iTunes library. Note, however, that this will remove anything that is not already in your iTunes library, so before doing this you should ensure that you do not have any content that is stored only on your iPod and not in iTunes itself.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Apple likely to receive approval to open retail stores in India
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!