Managing over 60GB of music & photos
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have a 60GB iPod (photo), and my iTunes library is bigger than 60 gigs. I also want to leave to room on the iPod for photos. How can I manage my iTunes library so I can still sync at least a portion of a library that is too large to fit on the iPod? Is there a way to do this, or am I stuck manually managing songs and playlists?
A: This is an increasingly common problem, as people become familiar with using their iPods and buy more music, adding it to their iTunes library. Apple would probably like you to buy another iPod, but you don’t have to do that. First, open the iPod preferences when your iPod is connected to your computer. Click the Music tab, then check Only Update Checked Songs.
Next, in your iTunes library, select a few albums that you’re pretty sure you won’t want to listen to in the near future and uncheck their songs. (You can uncheck or check multiple songs by holding down the Command key on Mac, or the Control key on Windows, and clicking a single checkbox in an album list or playlist.)
When you want to put these songs on your iPod again, you’ll have to recheck them and uncheck others. In this manner, you can automatically sync your iPod, keep all your ratings and play counts, and have more music on your computer than on your iPod.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- iOS 10.3 to improve in-app rating experience, allow developers to respond to App Store reviews
- Apple releases first iOS 10.3, tvOS 10.2 betas
- Pokémon Duel released for iOS
- Report: India likely to reject Apple’s tax break requests
- Apple releases iTunes 12.5.5
- Apple releases tvOS 10.1.1, watchOS 3.1.3
- Apple releases iOS 10.2.1
- Foxconn considering $7B investment in ‘highly automated’ U.S. facility for Apple
- KGI: 3D Touch upgrade coming in new iPhone, Touch ID and facial recognition upgrades in future model
- Apple files lawsuit accusing Qualcomm of withholding patent royalties
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Brydge 12.9 iPad Pro Keyboard
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10