Merge two computers’ music on one iPod | iLounge Article

Article

Merge two computers’ music on one iPod

Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.

View the complete Ask iLounge archives...

Q: Is it possible to put music onto one iPod from two computers? If so how would I do this?

- Martin

A: If you choose to manually manage your music (iPod preferences, Music tab, check Manually Manage Songs and Playlists), you copy music from your iTunes music library to the iPod by dragging songs, albums or playlists onto the iPod icon. If you connect the iPod to another computer, you’ll be able to do the same thing from the iTunes music library on the other computer.

Kirk McElhearn is the author of several books including iPod & iTunes Garage. His blog, Kirkville features articles about the iPod, iTunes, Mac OS X and much more.

The most asked question at iLounge.com:

How do I copy content from my iPod/iPhone onto my computer?

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, Apple TV and iPhone Video Formats

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, iPhone and Apple TV Video Conversion (Mac)

Converting DVDs, web video, TV shows and more:

The Complete Guide to iPod, iPhone and Apple TV Video Conversion (Win)

Best Speakers?

Best Headphones?

Best Case?

Best In-Car Solution?

Best Battery Extender?

Find more answers in the latest publications in our Library. Free downloads developed by the editors of iLounge!

Ask iLounge Archives:

1-24-14: Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks

1-22-14: Splitting purchased content between two iPads

12-13-13: Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers

12-11-13: Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone

12-6-13: Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac

Read more recent Ask iLounge articles...

View the complete Ask iLounge archives...

« Shuffle on both PC and Mac

First Looks: Shuffle Kimonos, Targus Cases & More »

Comments

Regarding the question from rob re:the shuffle, could it not also be that he needs to update his version of itunes?

Posted by kiwipete on July 28, 2005 at 6:12 PM (PDT)

i have a 40 gig ipod and my computer recently broke. Unfortunately my playlists and all my music is on the computer. my old computer was a pc, and the new one i have purchased is a mac. so i was wondering if there is any way to get songs off my ipod and download them in my new computer. or if there is anyway to even download them onto another pc.

Posted by surfridr47 on July 29, 2005 at 8:22 PM (PDT)

if i load songs onto my ipod from someone else’s computer, how do i then get the music onto my computers library?

Posted by stravisjr on July 30, 2005 at 9:58 AM (PDT)

i have an ipod mini and want to put my contacts on it. i already put them into microsofts address book and put them in the ipod contacts folder in My Computer but they don’t show up on my ipod. please help.

Posted by Chloe Christ on July 31, 2005 at 10:20 AM (PDT)

I have purchased an album from itunes and would like to play it on my phone (Nokia 6230i). The album is protected, any suggestions?

Posted by papagolf in uk on August 2, 2005 at 4:15 AM (PDT)

Is there any way to automatically detect which songs I have copied from my computer onto my ipod and which I haven’t—and then automatically copy the songs onto my ipod that aren’t there already?  THE CATCH, HOWEVER, IS THAT I DO NOT WANT TO SYNCH MY IPOD AND MY COMPUTER FOR AUTOMATIC UPDATING, B/C MY IPOD HAS A BUNCH OF SONGS THAT MY COMPUTER DOESN’T HAVE AND I DON’T WANT TO ERASE THEM.  (Long story, but my wasn’t working so now I’m using a different computer, and I have forgotten which CDs I’ve loaded onto the computer but NOT added to my ipod.)

Posted by thelioness on August 3, 2005 at 10:50 PM (PDT)

I’m trying to transfer my iTunes from my desktop PC to my labtop (im using XP on both computers). is there anyway i can transfer all the songs to my labtop without using an external hard drive, for instance, saving it onto a DVD (seeing as it hold 4.7 GB which is alot more than just a regular CD-R)? I have 9 GB of music on my iTunes folder.
Your response is greatly appreciated.
Cuzimworthit

Posted by cuzimworthit07 on August 4, 2005 at 10:21 PM (PDT)

I am looking for a good book regarding ipod…any suggestions?

Posted by arielb on August 5, 2005 at 4:30 PM (PDT)

I have preveasly had an mini ipod wich got stolen and i have just bought a new mini ipod and i have tried various different ways to upload the ipod to my computer but the ipod picture has still not shown up on my computer and i still haven’t been able to put songs onto my ipod.

Posted by maxluke on August 6, 2005 at 8:47 AM (PDT)

I want to know why I do not have the facility to upload CD right onto my Ipod. It should be on the import CD, but I do not have this.

What should I do?

Ipod 20gb

Posted by Hardeep J on August 6, 2005 at 10:50 AM (PDT)

my ipod is formatted to mac however I have a great deal of songs on my pc is there any way to combine the two formats?

Posted by caligari33 on August 6, 2005 at 8:45 PM (PDT)