Missing files in iTune
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Is there any way to either remove iTunes tracks that can’t be found (they show the exclamation point icon) or map them to the closest file in the folder?
A: I regret to answer that if you’re on a Windows PC, our only two suggestions are to remove the missing files with either (1) manual labor, simply deleting missing tracks as you come across them, or (2) brute force, causing loss of playlists, playcounts, and ratings. In neither case can the missing files be automatically mapped to a “close” file.
Choice (2) involves emptying your library completely and re-populating it with only the tracks that still exist. The advantage to this is that you won’t be doing a manual search-and-destroy on missing files, but a significant disadvantage is that you will lose your music library’s playcounts, playlists, and song ratings. First, select all tracks in your library and go to Edit—> Select All. hen hit “Delete” on your keyboard. iTunes will prompt to ask you if you’d like to “Keep Files” or “Move to Recycle Bin.” Choose Keep Files. Next, go to iTunes’ “File” menu and choose “Add Folder to Library.” Pick your iTunes Music Folder, which is likely the “My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music” folder.
In a slight twist on choice (2), you could restore your music library from your iPod using the tutorial here.
Neither of these options are favorable, but there is one refuge - if you’re on a Mac. iTunes Applescript guru Doug Adams has written an AppleScript that is a life-saver in this situation. Available , this AppleScript will go through your entire music library and delete tracks for whichever files are missing.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Analyst claims wireless charging will be included in ‘iPhone 8,’ but rules out Energous as provider
- Apple claims EU made ‘fundamental errors’ in calculating $14B Irish tax ruling
- Analyst: ‘iPhone 8’ to feature ‘revolutionary’ front-facing camera with 3D sensors
- Apple releases third betas for iOS 10.3, tvOS 10.2, and watchOS 3.2 to developers
- Happy Presidents’ Day from iLounge
- Apple plans to begin iPhone manufacturing in India starting with the iPhone SE
- Rumor: iPhone 8 to eliminate Touch ID in favor of Facial Recognition
- Report: Apple working on 4K for next-generation Apple TV
- Apple announces WWDC 2017
- Apple patent points to possible new Smart Keyboard with dedicated ‘Share’ and ‘Emoji’ keys
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10