Missing files in iTune
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Is there any way to either remove iTunes tracks that can’t be found (they show the exclamation point icon) or map them to the closest file in the folder?
A: I regret to answer that if you’re on a Windows PC, our only two suggestions are to remove the missing files with either (1) manual labor, simply deleting missing tracks as you come across them, or (2) brute force, causing loss of playlists, playcounts, and ratings. In neither case can the missing files be automatically mapped to a “close” file.
Choice (2) involves emptying your library completely and re-populating it with only the tracks that still exist. The advantage to this is that you won’t be doing a manual search-and-destroy on missing files, but a significant disadvantage is that you will lose your music library’s playcounts, playlists, and song ratings. First, select all tracks in your library and go to Edit—> Select All. hen hit “Delete” on your keyboard. iTunes will prompt to ask you if you’d like to “Keep Files” or “Move to Recycle Bin.” Choose Keep Files. Next, go to iTunes’ “File” menu and choose “Add Folder to Library.” Pick your iTunes Music Folder, which is likely the “My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music” folder.
In a slight twist on choice (2), you could restore your music library from your iPod using the tutorial here.
Neither of these options are favorable, but there is one refuge - if you’re on a Mac. iTunes Applescript guru Doug Adams has written an AppleScript that is a life-saver in this situation. Available , this AppleScript will go through your entire music library and delete tracks for whichever files are missing.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple files lawsuit accusing Qualcomm of withholding patent royalties
- Apple releases updated iOS Developer Design Resources
- Apple’s exclusive audiobook deal with Audible ends in Europe following EU antitrust scrutiny
- Nintendo officially announces Fire Emblem Heroes for iOS, coming Feb. 2
- Rumor: Apple working on second-generation Apple Pencil
- GarageBand 2.2 adds Logic Pro X integration, Alchemy synth, Multi-Take Recording
- FTC files complaint against Qualcomm citing royalty deal with Apple
- India mulling manufacturing regulation changes which could woo Apple
- Apple Music creative team discusses the service’s exclusives, future
- Apple raising UK App Store prices by more than 25 percent
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Brydge 12.9 iPad Pro Keyboard
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10