Movie Rental options don’t appear in iTunes
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have just bought an iPod touch and rented a movie from iTunes. The movie appears in iTunes under Rented Movies, but I don’t see any way (in iTunes 9) of moving it to the iPod. The “Videos” tab does not have the two-column appearance - only the means to manage syncing. Any ideas how I can move the rented movie to the iPod touch?
A: If you are using iTunes 9 and a recent-model iPod touch there should actually not be a “Videos” tab in iTunes but instead separate tabs for “Movies” and “TV Shows.” Options for transferring Rented Movies normally appear under the “Movies” tab as one would expect. Assuming that you purchased a brand-new, current model iPod touch it’s likely that you’re already running a semi-recent firmware version, but it’s worth noting that old v1.x versions of the iPod touch firmware did not provide support for Movie Rentals; this was added in the v1.1.3 update in January 2008. If you’ve purchased an older, used iPod touch model this is something worth considering.
Keep in mind also that the iPod touch does not support High-Definition (HD) rentals, so if you have rented an HD movie you will only be able to watch it on your computer or transfer it to an Apple device that does support HD such as the iPhone 4, iPad or Apple TV. In this case the options to transfer rented movies does not appear on the iPod touch settings as iTunes cannot find any compatible movies in your library.
It may also be worth re-authorizing your computer for your iTunes Store account, particularly if this is the first item you’ve purchased and tried to transfer to your iPod touch. In certain rare cases your iTunes Store authorization info can become disassociated with your iPod which will prevent iTunes from transferring purchased content onto that device. To do this, simply choose Authorize Computer from the Store menu in iTunes and enter your iTunes Store account name and password when prompted.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Apple likely to receive approval to open retail stores in India
- Study finds Apple Watch is best fitness tracker for privacy, security
- Conflicting reports over pink color to be featured in iPhone 5se
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!