Movie Rental options don’t appear in iTunes
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have just bought an iPod touch and rented a movie from iTunes. The movie appears in iTunes under Rented Movies, but I don’t see any way (in iTunes 9) of moving it to the iPod. The “Videos” tab does not have the two-column appearance - only the means to manage syncing. Any ideas how I can move the rented movie to the iPod touch?
A: If you are using iTunes 9 and a recent-model iPod touch there should actually not be a “Videos” tab in iTunes but instead separate tabs for “Movies” and “TV Shows.” Options for transferring Rented Movies normally appear under the “Movies” tab as one would expect. Assuming that you purchased a brand-new, current model iPod touch it’s likely that you’re already running a semi-recent firmware version, but it’s worth noting that old v1.x versions of the iPod touch firmware did not provide support for Movie Rentals; this was added in the v1.1.3 update in January 2008. If you’ve purchased an older, used iPod touch model this is something worth considering.
Keep in mind also that the iPod touch does not support High-Definition (HD) rentals, so if you have rented an HD movie you will only be able to watch it on your computer or transfer it to an Apple device that does support HD such as the iPhone 4, iPad or Apple TV. In this case the options to transfer rented movies does not appear on the iPod touch settings as iTunes cannot find any compatible movies in your library.
It may also be worth re-authorizing your computer for your iTunes Store account, particularly if this is the first item you’ve purchased and tried to transfer to your iPod touch. In certain rare cases your iTunes Store authorization info can become disassociated with your iPod which will prevent iTunes from transferring purchased content onto that device. To do this, simply choose Authorize Computer from the Store menu in iTunes and enter your iTunes Store account name and password when prompted.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple releases first iOS 10.3, tvOS 10.2 betas
- Pokémon Duel released for iOS
- Report: India likely to reject Apple’s tax break requests
- Apple releases iTunes 12.5.5
- Apple releases tvOS 10.1.1, watchOS 3.1.3
- Apple releases iOS 10.2.1
- Foxconn considering $7B investment in ‘highly automated’ U.S. facility for Apple
- KGI: 3D Touch upgrade coming in new iPhone, Touch ID and facial recognition upgrades in future model
- Apple files lawsuit accusing Qualcomm of withholding patent royalties
- Apple releases updated iOS Developer Design Resources
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Brydge 12.9 iPad Pro Keyboard
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10