Movie Rentals and 5G iPod
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I am using a 30GB fifth-generation iPod and I have tried moving rented movies from the iTunes Store onto my iPod with no sucess. I’m not getting any error messages but the movies won’t sync. Any suggestions?
A: Unfortunately, your problem is most likely due to the fact that the fifth-generation iPod does not support iTunes movie rentals. Purchased movies can still be viewed on the fifth-generation iPod, even in the slightly improved resolution formats that are now available, but the fifth-generation iPod has not received a firmware update to permit rented movies to be transferred to the device. This is most likely due to the requirement that rented movies automatically expire after a certain time period—a feature that would require updated firmware and possibly even hardware support to properly enforce.
Rented movies are not transferred to an iPod in the same way as other content. If you are using a supported iPod model with a supported firmware version (even the 2007 iPod models require firmware updates for movie rental support), you will see a separate movie rental transfer screen in iTunes above the normal movie synchronization options:
These options permit you to move rented movies between devices. A rented movie can only be located in one place at a time due to the need to properly enforce the rental time restrictions.
Be sure to check out our Complete Guide to iTunes Movie Rentals for more information on how all of this works.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple releases iOS 10.3.2 beta to developers
- Rumor: Apple may add cellular capability to next Apple Watch, create USB-C/Lightning hybrid
- Urbanears launches new lineup of Wi-Fi Connected Speakers
- Apple adds ability for developers respond to apps reviews, tweaks in-app rating prompt rules
- Report: 10.5” iPad Pro could still arrive this spring
- Apple’s Pages, Numbers, and Keynote apps gain Touch ID support, other improvements
- Apple releases tvOS 10.2 and Apple TV Remote for iPad
- Apple releases watchOS 3.2, featuring Theater Mode, SiriKit
- Apple releases iOS 10.3 with Find My AirPods, Siri + CarPlay improvements
- Wells Fargo rolling out ability to use Apple Pay for transactions at some ATMs later this year
- AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon Headphones
- ExoLens PRO with Optics by ZEISS Wide-Angle Lens Kit
- Blue Sadie Headphones
- Circle with Disney Parental Control and Internet Filtering System
- Pioneer Rayz Plus Lightning Connector Earphones
- BEEM United BeMe D200 Lightning Connector Earphones
- Jam Audio JAM Xterior Max Rugged Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- HiFiMAN Edition S Headphones
- Divoom Timebox Mini Bluetooth Speaker
- iClever BoostSound BTS-09 Bluetooth Speaker
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10