Movie Rentals and 5G iPod
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I am using a 30GB fifth-generation iPod and I have tried moving rented movies from the iTunes Store onto my iPod with no sucess. I’m not getting any error messages but the movies won’t sync. Any suggestions?
A: Unfortunately, your problem is most likely due to the fact that the fifth-generation iPod does not support iTunes movie rentals. Purchased movies can still be viewed on the fifth-generation iPod, even in the slightly improved resolution formats that are now available, but the fifth-generation iPod has not received a firmware update to permit rented movies to be transferred to the device. This is most likely due to the requirement that rented movies automatically expire after a certain time period—a feature that would require updated firmware and possibly even hardware support to properly enforce.
Rented movies are not transferred to an iPod in the same way as other content. If you are using a supported iPod model with a supported firmware version (even the 2007 iPod models require firmware updates for movie rental support), you will see a separate movie rental transfer screen in iTunes above the normal movie synchronization options:
These options permit you to move rented movies between devices. A rented movie can only be located in one place at a time due to the need to properly enforce the rental time restrictions.
Be sure to check out our Complete Guide to iTunes Movie Rentals for more information on how all of this works.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report: ‘iPhone 8’ to include upgraded water resistance
- U.S. appeals court resurrects App Store antitrust lawsuit against Apple
- Apple increases maximum tvOS app size to 4GB
- Apple releases fourth iOS 10.2.1 beta
- Apple looking to produce original TV content for Apple Music subscribers
- FBI releases heavily redacted information about cracking iPhone
- Apple partners with Tresorit to offer encryption option to CareKit developers
- ESPN’s iOS apps add support for Single Sign-On
- Spigen AirPods Stand coming in mid-February
- Rumor: Apple working on lightweight augmented reality glasses with Zeiss
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Brydge 12.9 iPad Pro Keyboard
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10