Moving an iTunes Library to Windows 7
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have an iPhone 4 and my old computer has 1600 songs organized into about 50 playlists, some with 20 or 30 songs each. I’m replacing the old computer, but am having trouble moving the songs to it—only about 900 would transfer, and none of the playlists will transfer to the new computer. Surely there’s a way. The phone’s an iPhone 4 and the computers are PCs with Vista on the old one and Windows 7 on the new one.
A: The best way to transfer your iTunes library to a new computer is to actually copy over all of the iTunes library folders from the old computer directly to the new one using either an external hard drive or over a network connection between the two computers.
Moving the actual iTunes library database over will preserve all of your playlists as well as other iTunes-specific metadata like ratings and play counts. The database also contains the sync settings for your iPhone, so once you’ve transferred it over you can plug in your iPhone and continue syncing with the new computer without having to reconfigure anything.
For more information and detailed instructions see our tutorial on Transferring your iTunes Library. It is possible to copy your content from your iPhone 4 back to the new computer as well, but by doing this you’ll essentially be starting an entirely new iTunes library and importing your media content and playlists into it from scratch. You will need to use third-party tools to help you do this, as iTunes by itself will only allow you to transfer back content that you purchased from the iTunes Store and not content that you imported from your own CDs or other sources. You can get more information on this in our tutorial on Copying Content from your iPod to your Computer, but generally if you have your old computer available the best solution by far is to simply move the actual iTunes library over rather than trying to recreate it from your iPhone.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Apple likely to receive approval to open retail stores in India
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!