Moving Apps and Artwork folders to external hard drive
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have moved my iTunes music to an external drive, done the way shown in your moving iTunes music article. My question is how do I move my Apps and album artwork to the external drive also? I have an old computer and space is getting limited and I have lots of Apps and album artwork.
A: If you are using iTunes 9 or later you can update to the new “iTunes Media organization” by selecting the appropriate option under File, Library, Organize Library in iTunes. This will place your “Mobile Applications” folder into the iTunes Media folder on the external hard drive. Further, when you use the “Consolidate Files” option in the future the Mobile Applications folder will be copied into the iTunes Media folder along with your other media content.
Keep in mind that the “Consolidate Files” feature copies tracks rather than moving them, so even after you’ve updated to the iTunes Media organization and consolidated your files you will find that the Mobile Applications folder is still lying around in its original location. You can confirm that the apps in your library are actually in the new location by selecting one of them in iTunes and choosing File, Get Info. The Summary tab will display the path to the actual application file, which should now be pointing to your iTunes Media folder location.
Unfortunately, album artwork is another matter, as this resides with the iTunes database folder. The only way to get this onto an external hard drive is to relocate the entire iTunes database and related folders. This is a separate, manual process and is explained in more detail in our article on Transferring your iTunes Library.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple has sold one billion iPhones
- Parkopedia to provide detailed parking information for Apple Maps [Updated]
- Microsoft releases Pix camera app for iPhone
- Adobe launches new Lightroom viewer for Apple TV
- Australian banks team up to push for other mobile payment apps on iPhone
- Report: iPhone 7 may feature 3D Touch home button
- Apple turning ‘Carpool Karaoke’ into an Apple Music exclusive
- Notes from Apple’s Q3 2016 earnings call
- Apple Q3 results: $42.4B revenue, 40M iPhones, 10M iPads sold
- Researchers expose security flaw in Osram smart bulbs
- Moe Bull Stand for iPad Air 2 + 9.7” iPad Pro
- Netatmo Tags for Welcome Smart Home Camera
- iDevices Socket HomeKit-enabled Light Adapter
- Koogeek Wi-Fi SmartPlug for Apple HomeKit
- Marbotic Smart Letters for iPad
- Ecoxgear Sol Jam Bluetooth Speaker
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case + Hand Strap for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Braven BRV-1M Bluetooth Speaker
- Braven BRV-Blade Bluetooth Speaker
- Invoxia Voice Bridge
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app