Moving Apps and Artwork folders to external hard drive
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have moved my iTunes music to an external drive, done the way shown in your moving iTunes music article. My question is how do I move my Apps and album artwork to the external drive also? I have an old computer and space is getting limited and I have lots of Apps and album artwork.
A: If you are using iTunes 9 or later you can update to the new “iTunes Media organization” by selecting the appropriate option under File, Library, Organize Library in iTunes. This will place your “Mobile Applications” folder into the iTunes Media folder on the external hard drive. Further, when you use the “Consolidate Files” option in the future the Mobile Applications folder will be copied into the iTunes Media folder along with your other media content.
Keep in mind that the “Consolidate Files” feature copies tracks rather than moving them, so even after you’ve updated to the iTunes Media organization and consolidated your files you will find that the Mobile Applications folder is still lying around in its original location. You can confirm that the apps in your library are actually in the new location by selecting one of them in iTunes and choosing File, Get Info. The Summary tab will display the path to the actual application file, which should now be pointing to your iTunes Media folder location.
Unfortunately, album artwork is another matter, as this resides with the iTunes database folder. The only way to get this onto an external hard drive is to relocate the entire iTunes database and related folders. This is a separate, manual process and is explained in more detail in our article on Transferring your iTunes Library.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Unboxing the new 9.7-inch iPad
- MLB.com At Bat and NHL now allow users to personalize Home Screen icons
- Apple pulls over-the-air iOS 10.3 update for iPhone 5, 5c; iOS 10.3.2 seems to end support for them
- Supplier Responsibility Report, recent hires hint at Project Titan research
- Apple now rejecting apps with references to price in their name
- Apple Pay now live in Taiwan
- Apple releases iOS 10.3.2 beta to developers
- Rumor: Apple may add cellular capability to next Apple Watch, create USB-C/Lightning hybrid
- Urbanears launches new lineup of Wi-Fi Connected Speakers
- Apple adds ability for developers respond to apps reviews, tweaks in-app rating prompt rules
- AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon Headphones
- ExoLens PRO with Optics by ZEISS Wide-Angle Lens Kit
- Blue Sadie Headphones
- Circle with Disney Parental Control and Internet Filtering System
- Pioneer Rayz Plus Lightning Connector Earphones
- BEEM United BeMe D200 Lightning Connector Earphones
- Jam Audio JAM Xterior Max Rugged Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- HiFiMAN Edition S Headphones
- Divoom Timebox Mini Bluetooth Speaker
- iClever BoostSound BTS-09 Bluetooth Speaker
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10