Moving iTunes library out of My Documents
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
My laptop is synced to a server at work - everything in My Documents is backed up to the server. I do not want iTunes in My Documents, but I have been unsuccessful in setting it up to stay out of the My Music folder in My Documents. I have not found an exact answer in the archives. They all tend to say things like, “why wouldn’t you want it stored there?” Well, it’s not one bit work related and I really shouldn’t have my iTunes files backed up on the server. Can you help?
Although moving the iTunes folder to another location used to be a complex process involving registry editing, iTunes 7 introduced a built-in method for telling iTunes to simply use another location for the iTunes folder. To choose another location for the iTunes folder, simply hold down the SHIFT key while starting iTunes and you will be prompted to either choose an existing iTunes library in a different location or create a new iTunes library.
Note that if you have an existing iTunes library that you would like to move, you first need to copy the iTunes library to the new location, as the “Choose Library” option must be used to specify an existing iTunes library. The process of actually moving an existing library actually involves two steps: First you would need to move the iTunes Media folder by changing the path in your iTunes advanced preferences and then using the Consolidate Files option to copy the actual files to a new location. Once the files had been copied, you could then shut down iTunes, copy the remaining files over to the new location, and then use the method above to point iTunes to that new location.
More detailed information on how to do this can be found in our our iPod 201 article, Transferring your iTunes Library
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Apple likely to receive approval to open retail stores in India
- Study finds Apple Watch is best fitness tracker for privacy, security
- Conflicting reports over pink color to be featured in iPhone 5se
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!