Moving iTunes Library to a new Windows 7 PC
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I just got a new PC running Windows 7. All my content is stored on an external hard drive. My iTunes folder is on my old PC but all the music is on the hard drive. After I install iTunes on my new machine, what do I do to get it to see my external hard drive with all my music?
A: The easiest way to handle this is to copy the “iTunes” folder from your old PC hard drive over to your new PC, placing it in the same relative location on the new PC (generally under your “My Music” folder). This folder contains your library database and all of the information about your content, and as long as it’s in the right place on the new PC, iTunes should just open it up in much the same way as it did on your old PC.
You will need to ensure that your external hard drive gets assigned the same drive letter, as iTunes stores a full path to each of your music files in its library database, so it will expect to find your media files in that location. You can reassign drive letters in your Windows 7 Control Panel under the Computer Management section.
Your iTunes Preferences are also not normally copied over as part of the iTunes folder. If you really want to copy these over manually, they’re stored in a file named iTunesPrefs.XML in C:Documents and Settings(your name)AppDataLocalApple ComputeriTunes. Most of the information contained in this file can be easily reconfigured by a visit to the iTunes Preferences settings, however, so copying this file over is not crucial to the process.
For more information, see our article on Transferring your iTunes Library.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- iDevices adds dynamic automation, enhanced scheduling to ‘Connected’ app for HomeKit
- Apple reports that iOS 10.2.1 significantly reduces unexpected iPhone 6s shutdown issues
- Mobiata announces sunset of FlightTrack 5 and FlightBoard apps
- Harman announces first Wireless CarPlay implementation
- Report: Apple still considering several possible wireless charging solutions for ‘iPhone 8’
- Mini Metro adds Endless Mode
- Apple issues statement opposing Trump administration’s rescission of transgender rights
- ResearchKit study conducted using Apple Watch reveals new insights into seizures
- Instagram adds ability to include up to 10 photos or videos in a single post
- Facebook’s talks with MLB raise possibility that game streams could come to Apple TV
- PureGear PureSwitch HomeKit-enabled Wireless Smart Plug
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10