Moving Music Without Telling iTunes
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I listen to lots of Classical music on my iPod, so it’s far more logical to file tracks by composer rather than artist. Last weekend, I shifted items around in the library on my PC creating folders for each composer, then taking the works (or albums) out of their old folders, which were under artists, at placing them in the new folders.
Last night I plugged by iPod into my PC only to find a message on my PC screen ‘Files under ***** ***** etc cannot be located’. I tried various things but to no effect, and it still will not update my iPod.
Is there any way I can get iTunes to understand the new location of the files and update the system?
A: When you move music on your computer, iTunes doesn’t know that you’ve done so. It doesn’t scan your computer to find your music, so it simply notices that certain files are “missing.” If you’re not concerned about your play counts and last play dates, the best way to remedy this is to remove all the music from your iTunes library (select it all, then press Delete, but don’t have iTunes move it to the trash), then re-import it all (select File > Open, and select the main folder it’s in).
In the future, remember that iTunes can organize your music for you (iTunes > Preferences > Advanced has two options for this). Some of us who listen to a lot of classical music find that it’s easiest to change the artist’s name to that of the composer. If you have check Keep iTunes Music Folder Organized in the aforementioned preferences, you’ll have folders organized by composer in this case.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple offering hands-on demos of Super Mario Run in stores
- Report: Apple pursuing studio agreements for early movie rentals
- Apple releases seventh beta of iOS 10.2 to developers
- Apple makes its picks for best iPhone, iPad and Apple TV apps of 2016
- Apple acknowledges Apple Music now includes ‘all the benefits of iTunes Match’
- Apple Music tops 20 million subscribers
- Apple blames ‘external factors’ for iPhone fires in China
- Rumor: 2017 iPhones won’t include glass chassis or wireless charging; will add red color
- Top Apple supplier Foxconn planning U.S. investment
- Apple enables Single Sign-On across all iOS 10 and tvOS 10 devices
- Brydge 12.9 iPad Pro Keyboard
- Sen.se GuardPeanut
- iHome iZBT10 Zenergy Bedside Sleep Therapy Speaker
- Twelve South HiRise Duet for Apple Watch and iPhone
- IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitor
- JBL Under Armour Sport Wireless Heart Rate Headphones
- Edifier e235 Luna E Speaker System
- Clamcase ClamCase+ for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Scosche BoomBottle H2O+ Waterproof Wireless Speaker
- Thermos Connected Hydration Bottle with Smart Lid
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10