Moving purchased iTunes songs onto iPod
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I’m having trouble moving purchased songs from my library onto my iPod… I can drag it from Purchased Music into my library, but then when I try to drag it onto my iPod, it won’t “take.” Can you tell me how to fix this?
A: There are two possibilities. The first is that your iPod is set to synchronize automatically. If this is the case, you don’t need to drag the song onto the iPod icon; when you connect your iPod, iTunes automatically copies everything. You can check this in the iPod preferences (iTunes > Preferences > iPod) in iTunes.
If, however, you are manually updating your iPod (in which case you should be dragging songs onto it) you probably have a problem with the authorization for your iPod, or for your copy of iTunes. This happens occasionally, and you can fix it by trying two things.
First, in iTunes, select Advanced > Deauthorize this computer, then select Advanced > Authorize this computer. This will ask you to re-enter your user name and password.
As for the iPod, you should first make sure you have the latest iPod software. Go to the Apple web site and download the iPod Software Updater. Then, after you follow the updater’s instructions, try connecting your iPod. If your music still doesn’t transfer to the iPod, use the software updater to “restore your iPod to factory settings”. This will erase everything on the iPod, so make sure you have your music backed up. After this update, reconnect your iPod. Set it to sync your music automatically, and everything should work.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- WSJ: Apple brings in trusted executive Mansfield to head Apple Car project
- CarPlay to be available in all 2017 Ford models
- Rumors claim new iPhone will be released Sept. 16, could have ‘iPhone 6 SE’ name
- Photos claim to show alleged ‘iPad Pro 2’
- Apple to sell limited-edition Olympic Apple Watch bands exclusively in Brazil
- Report: iPhone 7 will include Lightning adapter instead of Lightning EarPods
- Edward Snowden designing device to prevent iPhone wiretapping
- Report: Apple Car team running into challenges, launch may slip to 2021
- Corning announces Gorilla Glass 5
- Apple under fire for providing refurbished replacements under AppleCare+
- Netatmo Tags for Welcome Smart Home Camera
- iDevices Socket HomeKit-enabled Light Adapter
- Koogeek Wi-Fi SmartPlug for Apple HomeKit
- Marbotic Smart Letters for iPad
- Ecoxgear Sol Jam Bluetooth Speaker
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case + Hand Strap for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Braven BRV-1M Bluetooth Speaker
- Braven BRV-Blade Bluetooth Speaker
- Invoxia Voice Bridge
- Incase Keyboard Case for iPad Air 2
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app