Moving purchased iTunes songs onto iPod
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I’m having trouble moving purchased songs from my library onto my iPod… I can drag it from Purchased Music into my library, but then when I try to drag it onto my iPod, it won’t “take.” Can you tell me how to fix this?
A: There are two possibilities. The first is that your iPod is set to synchronize automatically. If this is the case, you don’t need to drag the song onto the iPod icon; when you connect your iPod, iTunes automatically copies everything. You can check this in the iPod preferences (iTunes > Preferences > iPod) in iTunes.
If, however, you are manually updating your iPod (in which case you should be dragging songs onto it) you probably have a problem with the authorization for your iPod, or for your copy of iTunes. This happens occasionally, and you can fix it by trying two things.
First, in iTunes, select Advanced > Deauthorize this computer, then select Advanced > Authorize this computer. This will ask you to re-enter your user name and password.
As for the iPod, you should first make sure you have the latest iPod software. Go to the Apple web site and download the iPod Software Updater. Then, after you follow the updater’s instructions, try connecting your iPod. If your music still doesn’t transfer to the iPod, use the software updater to “restore your iPod to factory settings”. This will erase everything on the iPod, so make sure you have your music backed up. After this update, reconnect your iPod. Set it to sync your music automatically, and everything should work.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Spotify penalizing artists who release Apple Music exclusives
- Apple releases new round of iOS 10 and tvOS 10 betas
- Report: 2017 iPhone to eliminate home button
- Apple to add payment technology to iPhone for transit passes, Apple Pay in Japan
- Apple releases iOS 9.3.5 ‘security update’
- Report: Apple developing its own Snapchat-style social video editing iOS app
- Apple announces Apple Music Festival lineup including Alicia Keys, Britney Spears + more
- Universal calls an end to exclusives amid criticisms that Apple Music is hurting the industry
- Apple reveals some of its upcoming AI advancements for the iPhone
- Apple Music’s royalty rates complicate Spotify’s contract negotiations
- Western Digital My Cloud (OS 3)
- Distil Union Stanley Stand
- Philips Sonicare FlexCare Platinum Connected Bluetooth Toothbrush
- Audeze EL-8 Titanium Over-Ear Headphones
- Defined Corp Dome Stand for Apple Watch and iPhone
- Speck StyleFolio Pencil for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Audeze Sine On-Ear Headphone
- First Alert Onelink Wi-Fi Smoke + Carbon Monoxide Alarm
- Logitech Create 9.7” iPad Pro Keyboard Case
- iDevices Outdoor Switch Power Outlet
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app