Moving purchased iTunes songs onto iPod
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I’m having trouble moving purchased songs from my library onto my iPod… I can drag it from Purchased Music into my library, but then when I try to drag it onto my iPod, it won’t “take.” Can you tell me how to fix this?
A: There are two possibilities. The first is that your iPod is set to synchronize automatically. If this is the case, you don’t need to drag the song onto the iPod icon; when you connect your iPod, iTunes automatically copies everything. You can check this in the iPod preferences (iTunes > Preferences > iPod) in iTunes.
If, however, you are manually updating your iPod (in which case you should be dragging songs onto it) you probably have a problem with the authorization for your iPod, or for your copy of iTunes. This happens occasionally, and you can fix it by trying two things.
First, in iTunes, select Advanced > Deauthorize this computer, then select Advanced > Authorize this computer. This will ask you to re-enter your user name and password.
As for the iPod, you should first make sure you have the latest iPod software. Go to the Apple web site and download the iPod Software Updater. Then, after you follow the updater’s instructions, try connecting your iPod. If your music still doesn’t transfer to the iPod, use the software updater to “restore your iPod to factory settings”. This will erase everything on the iPod, so make sure you have your music backed up. After this update, reconnect your iPod. Set it to sync your music automatically, and everything should work.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple releases fourth developer betas for iOS 9.3.2, tvOS 9.2.1
- Bowers & Wilkins acquired by EVA Automation
- India rejects Apple’s plan to sell used iPhones
- Rumor: Purported iPhone 7 component photo shows headphone jack intact
- Families fight in court over missing teen’s iPhone data
- Court allows police to force woman to unlock iPhone with Touch ID fingerprint
- Coach reportedly releasing bands for Apple Watch
- Invoxia adds Amazon Alexa to Triby
- Apple provides more details on new Apple Music API
- Apple Music for Android adds music videos, Family Plan support
- August Doorbell Cam
- August Smart Lock HomeKit enabled + Smart Keypad
- ecobee3 HomeKit-enabled smart Wi-Fi thermostat
- Zagg Now Cam
- Yantouch EyE Portable Wireless Speaker
- Netatmo Wind Gauge
- Incipio Stashback for iPhone 6/6s
- Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt with HomeKit support
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad mini 4
- Brydge BrydgeMini II Keyboard for iPad mini 4
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)