Multiple iTunes libraries
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: On Apple’s iTunes “Jukebox” page, it claims the user can have “multiple libraries - even store[d] across more than one hard drive.” At first I thought this must just be referring to the segregation of Music, Movies, Audiobooks, etc., but the hard drive comment doesn’t make sense in this case. What are they talking about here?
A: Indeed you can now have multiple libraries, just as iTunes’ product page mentions. However, they really don’t make it clear how. Luckily, it’s extremely simple: to activate and use the switching feature, simply hold down Option (Mac) or Shift (Windows) as you launch iTunes, and you’ll see this intuitive menu appear:
Upon switching libraries, the entirety of your content - including tracks, videos, playlists, ratings, and more - is exchanged for whatever’s in that library. Virtually nothing stays behind… it’s as if you’ve sat down at another computer.
In fact, to acheive this prior to iTunes 7, we’ve recommended either setting up a second account in your operating system, or use a third-party library switching utility like Libra. Now, neither of these solutions are necessary to get multiple libraries on one computer.
What’s the advantage here? As only one example, it’s great for laptop users who want to maintain a massive library of TV Shows, Videos, and a complete collection of their music, but need to do so on an external hard drive due to their laptop’s small hard drive. With this feature, they can still also maintain a smaller collection of music on their local machine for listening on the go.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Mobiata announces sunset of FlightTrack 5 and FlightBoard apps
- Harman announces first Wireless CarPlay implementation
- Report: Apple still considering several possible wireless charging solutions for ‘iPhone 8’
- Mini Metro adds Endless Mode
- Apple issues statement opposing Trump administration’s rescission of transgender rights
- ResearchKit study conducted using Apple Watch reveals new insights into seizures
- Instagram adds ability to include up to 10 photos or videos in a single post
- Facebook’s talks with MLB raise possibility that game streams could come to Apple TV
- Analyst claims wireless charging will be included in ‘iPhone 8,’ but rules out Energous as provider
- Apple claims EU made ‘fundamental errors’ in calculating $14B Irish tax ruling
- PureGear PureSwitch HomeKit-enabled Wireless Smart Plug
- 1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10