Multiple iTunes Store accounts on the same computer
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: My kids each have their own iPod touch. They both have seperate user accounts for their iPods but they share the same iTunes Store account. Is there a way to separate one of these off this account onto their own seperate account without losing all of the purchased music?
A: You can certainly do this, and it’s actually very easy. Simply set up an additional iTunes Store account under one of the two user accounts on your computer and have that person use that iTunes Store account instead of the original one. Any music that was previously purchased under the old iTunes Store account will continue to work without any problems as long as you don’t specifically DEauthorize the computer for that account.
Basically, any given iPod can store and play content from up to five different iTunes Store accounts, so in this case, content from the old shared account and the new account can easily co-exist on the same iPod, and will continue to work seamlessly.
The only thing to keep in mind is that if you purchase a new computer or reinstall the operating system on your existing computer you will need to re-authorize all of your iTunes Store accounts again individually. This can easily be done by selecting Store, Authorize Computer from the iTunes menu—do this once for each iTunes Store account that is used on your computer. Further, you should always DE-authorize your computer if you are planning to replace it, take it in for service, or performing major upgrades. The Store, Deauthorize Computer menu option can be used for this, and again should be done for each iTunes Store account on the computer.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple acknowledges Apple Music now includes ‘all the benefits of iTunes Match’
- Apple Music tops 20 million subscribers
- Apple blames ‘external factors’ for iPhone fires in China
- Rumor: 2017 iPhones won’t include glass chassis or wireless charging; will add red color
- Top Apple supplier Foxconn planning U.S. investment
- Apple enables Single Sign-On across all iOS 10 and tvOS 10 devices
- Apple releases fifth beta for tvOS 10.1 to developers
- Apple to start publishing its AI research
- Supreme Court rules against Apple in design patent case
- Study finds half of kids headphones exceed safe volume limits
- Sen.se GuardPeanut
- iHome iZBT10 Zenergy Bedside Sleep Therapy Speaker
- Twelve South HiRise Duet for Apple Watch and iPhone
- IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitor
- JBL Under Armour Sport Wireless Heart Rate Headphones
- Edifier e235 Luna E Speaker System
- Clamcase ClamCase+ for 9.7” iPad Pro
- Scosche BoomBottle H2O+ Waterproof Wireless Speaker
- Thermos Connected Hydration Bottle with Smart Lid
- Beats Solo3 Wireless On-Ear Headphones
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10