Multiple iTunes Store accounts on the same computer
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: My kids each have their own iPod touch. They both have seperate user accounts for their iPods but they share the same iTunes Store account. Is there a way to separate one of these off this account onto their own seperate account without losing all of the purchased music?
A: You can certainly do this, and it’s actually very easy. Simply set up an additional iTunes Store account under one of the two user accounts on your computer and have that person use that iTunes Store account instead of the original one. Any music that was previously purchased under the old iTunes Store account will continue to work without any problems as long as you don’t specifically DEauthorize the computer for that account.
Basically, any given iPod can store and play content from up to five different iTunes Store accounts, so in this case, content from the old shared account and the new account can easily co-exist on the same iPod, and will continue to work seamlessly.
The only thing to keep in mind is that if you purchase a new computer or reinstall the operating system on your existing computer you will need to re-authorize all of your iTunes Store accounts again individually. This can easily be done by selecting Store, Authorize Computer from the iTunes menu—do this once for each iTunes Store account that is used on your computer. Further, you should always DE-authorize your computer if you are planning to replace it, take it in for service, or performing major upgrades. The Store, Deauthorize Computer menu option can be used for this, and again should be done for each iTunes Store account on the computer.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple executive talks using AI to boost human memory
- Apple rolling out ‘Today at Apple’ educational courses starting in May
- Smart home device maker iDevices acquired by Hubbell
- Apple delays ‘Carpool Karaoke’ release to ‘later this year’
- Dutch court rules Apple can’t replace broken iPads with refurbished models
- Chinese blog claims Apple is only releasing two iPhone 8 models, no iPhone 7s or 7s Plus
- Apple releases fourth betas of iOS 10.3.2, watchOS 3.2.2, and tvOS 10.2.1
- Images claim to show iPhone 8 prototype with glass back, vertical camera
- Apple works on alternative power sources, new uses for waste heat in Denmark data center
- Training documents reveal safety details about Apple’s self-driving car system
- iDevices Wall Switch
- iDevices Wall Outlet
- Koogeek Wi-Fi SmartSocket for Apple HomeKit
- Sony MDR-1000X Wireless Noise-Canceling Headphones
- FiiO i1 Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Adapter
- Blue Ella Headphones
- Apple iPad (Fifth-Generation)
- AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon Headphones
- ExoLens PRO with Optics by ZEISS Wide-Angle Lens Kit
- Blue Sadie Headphones
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10