Multiple product reviews at the same time
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
I’ve been a loyal follower since the iPodlounge days, and I really have to say, I would be really lost without you guys. I’m the “tech support” of the family, and am constantly asked questions about iPods and accessories and such. If I don’t know it, I automatically pull up iLounge and search for the answer. Without your reviews, I wouldn’t have most of my iPod accessories!
I wanted to know why you have been reviewing multiple products at the same time. I’ve begun to notice this, especially in iPhone-related reviews. To me, this is more of an annoyance than a good thing.
Your loyal reader,
A: Hi Faisal,
Thanks for your support over the years. There are two reasons that we’ve published multi-product reviews so much over the last couple of years: first, the dramatic upswing in the total number of products released for iPods and iPhones, and second, the sheer number of “me-too” releases that are out there.
Most weeks, we receive not one but five or ten items that are supposedly different from each other, but are really almost identical except for really small changes. The amount of true innovation we have seen in recent years has been diminishing, and instead, companies seem to be competing with each other to release products that they believe will sell well—because similar products have already been released and sold well. Thus, this week, we saw five iPhone 3G cases that were all the same except for small differences such as texture, color, and pricing. Is it really worth writing five separate reviews?
We try to answer “yes” as often and as much as possible, so even if some reviews start with the same introductory text, they go on to explain the important differences between products on an individual basis. But with so many highly similar products out there, we will combine some information and coverage on me-too offerings in order to focus more of our energy on items that are really standouts. The alternative is to just stop covering the me-too products at all, and we’d prefer not to do that.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report confirms legitimacy of at least some of the stolen iCloud credentials being held for ransom
- New (PRODUCT)RED iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone SE, and 9.7” iPad now available to order
- Apple Store down again ahead of new iPad, Product(RED) iPhone launch
- Apple acquires automation app Workflow
- Nintendo updates Super Mario Run, makes more courses available for free play
- Apple confirms iCloud and Apple ID systems have not been breached in response to hacker threat
- Hackers claim to have access to millions of iCloud accounts, demand ransom from Apple
- Apple’s Siri in the running to voice control room functions at Marriott’s Aloft hotels
- Apple releases iTunes 12.6 with new cross-device movie rental feature
- Apple introduces Clips video app
- ExoLens PRO with Optics by ZEISS Wide-Angle Lens Kit
- Blue Sadie Headphones
- Circle with Disney Parental Control and Internet Filtering System
- Pioneer Rayz Plus Lightning Connector Earphones
- BEEM United BeMe D200 Lightning Connector Earphones
- Jam Audio JAM Xterior Max Rugged Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- HiFiMAN Edition S Headphones
- Divoom Timebox Mini Bluetooth Speaker
- iClever BoostSound BTS-09 Bluetooth Speaker
- Soundcast VG1 Bluetooth Speaker
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10