My battery is dying, repair or replace
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: There are at least 2 things wrong with my iPod. One is that the battery doesn’t seem to last for more than a few hours at a time - nothing like the amount it should. Also, it refuses to be recognized by any computer. Is it worth paying to have it serviced by Apple or is it worth buying a new iPod? The one I have now is not in warranty.
A: There could be a number of things wrong with your iPod, given the symptoms you describe. If the iPod is old, the battery will lose its ability to hold a charge. As for it not being recognized, this could be caused by an internal problem, a bad cable, or ever a problem with your computer or the interface you use to connect it (USB or FireWire).
The first thing to do is back up your music - make sure you have a copy of all your music on your computer. Then, manually reset the iPod. (See this article for instructions.)
If your iPod is still not recognized, connect it to your computer anyway, then run the iPod Software Updater - in some cases, the updater will recognize the iPod even if it is not actually mounted. If so, use the updater’s Restore function to erase and reset the iPod. (Remember that note about backing up your music files… This procedure erases everything on your iPod.)
If this solves your problem, then you’ve been saved. Also, in some cases, iPod users find they have better battery life after running a Restore procedure. If this doesn’t solve your problem, then it’s more serious. You should try and connect it to someone else’s computer first, to determine if the problem is caused by your computer or by the iPod or cable. If this doesn’t give you an answer, then it’s time to consider service, or a new iPod (depend on how old yours is, and how much the service will cost).
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple rolling out ‘Today at Apple’ educational courses starting in May
- Smart home device maker iDevices acquired by Hubbell
- Apple delays ‘Carpool Karaoke’ release to ‘later this year’
- Dutch court rules Apple can’t replace broken iPads with refurbished models
- Chinese blog claims Apple is only releasing two iPhone 8 models, no iPhone 7s or 7s Plus
- Apple releases fourth betas of iOS 10.3.2, watchOS 3.2.2, and tvOS 10.2.1
- Images claim to show iPhone 8 prototype with glass back, vertical camera
- Apple works on alternative power sources, new uses for waste heat in Denmark data center
- Training documents reveal safety details about Apple’s self-driving car system
- Supply shortfalls of upgraded components may delay iPhone 8 production to October/November
- iDevices Wall Switch
- iDevices Wall Outlet
- Koogeek Wi-Fi SmartSocket for Apple HomeKit
- Sony MDR-1000X Wireless Noise-Canceling Headphones
- FiiO i1 Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Adapter
- Blue Ella Headphones
- Apple iPad (Fifth-Generation)
- AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon Headphones
- ExoLens PRO with Optics by ZEISS Wide-Angle Lens Kit
- Blue Sadie Headphones
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10