My iPod Buying Experience | iLounge Article

Article

My iPod Buying Experience

When the iPod first came out, I knew I had to have one, but I couldn’t bring myself to do it immediately because they were fairly expensive and I knew I wanted a lot more storage than 5gb. I told myself that when they came out with a 20GB model, I would bite. When the 20GB model did come out, I had other concerns to deal with financially, so I kept putting it off. About 2 months ago, not having one was killing me, but I knew that revised iPods were just around the corner so I continued to wait. Then, on a wonderful Monday, the rumored new iPods were announced. As much as I was hoping for 40GBs and Bluetooth playlist sharing, 30GB and a thinner, smoother design would have to do. Yeah, the music service is cool, but having the iPod would be enough… for now.

I went to the Apple store in SOHO at 5:30 to arrive at 6. I knew there would be a line but little did I know that it would be a line all the way from Prince St. to Houston St. I decided to see how fast the line was moving so I dutifully got in it as I waited for friends to arrive. The conversations were varied, but there was one guy that really made me laugh. He was just hanging out in the line asking people why they would wait in line, and commenting on how he was just going to wait a few days. Yeah, that’s a much better idea than wasting your time in line! Half an hour later my friend arrived and because I hadn’t moved much—maybe because I had been shown the error of my ways, yeah right—we left. The event would be going until 10pm, so although there was a chance they would sell out, I decided to come back later.

We got back at about 9pm. The event was very cool: cool people, cool tunes, cool decor, cool giveaways… what can I say, it was just the overall aura. I can’t imagine Microsoft EVER being able to pull something like that off. I bought my iPod, a 30GB, and hung out for a while, but since we were headed to see X-Men 2, not too much of that coolness rubbed off.

On the subway, I couldn’t wait any longer, so I opened it. The experience of opening it is… OK, cool. The box is a cube that folds out into two compartments. Everything is VERY well presented and the new iPod design is well… COOL! Smoother and thinner. The buttons, however, are surprising. They are just holes in the clear plastic cover so they have sharp edges. A very unique tactile sensation. Ultimately I think I will like it a lot, but truth be told, I haven’t held it much at all yet. I’m still downloading songs. IT’S 6:02pm the next day.

Why is it taking so long, you ask? I don’t have a FireWire ready Mac available, but I couldn’t wait to get the iPod, so I’m loading this up on Windows… Yeah, I know!

I installed Musicmatch several times, but it just wouldn’t recognize the pod. The Apple software recognized it fine, but that didn’t seem to help Music Match at all, which unfortunately is required (that I know of). I had installed Musicmatch before on the PC with an Iomega HipZip. Every time I launched my new installation, it kept telling me that I needed Iomega drivers for the HipZip. Musicmatch tries to help you install them by going to the site, but when you click on the appropriate download, it finishes the download and tells you that it can’t find it. The same goes for the MM iPod plug-in. I looked for it manually and tried to install it, but it wouldn’t work. I tried everything else I could think of for another hour, at which point I had spent 3 hours) and still had not uploaded a single song. So I uninstalled Music Match and all the Iomega software on my computer for one last try. After reinstalling everything but my Iomega software it still didn’t work, and somehow it still wanted Iomega drivers for the HipZip.

So I downloaded EphPod. I was a little nervous because the site didn’t say anything about the new iPods, but at this point I was desperate. I installed Ephpod and (like the Apple iPod manager) it immediately recognized the iPod. It wouldn’t synch though, giving some cryptic error message. Well, I don’t know why, but without closing EphPod, I opened Musicmatch one last time, and by some wonderful “Eph"ing miracle, it could see the iPod!

So I started furiously uploading the few songs I had on the PC to the iPod.

But most of my library exists on my Macs which given the fact that my only available FireWire port is on a PC is a hassle, albeit a temporary one. Like I said, I couldn’t wait. I have an old Powerbook G3 Wall Street which does not have FireWire, but does contain most of my music library. Since it is connected to the PC with Thursby Software’s DAVE was able to get started, but ethernet ain’t no FireWire! Three hours later, six hours all together, I’m still uploading songs. Hey, at least I’m uploading songs! I’m just glad it’s working. I still haven’t LISTENED to a song yet, but when I do start listening, I’ll have 6,000+ songs to choose from. Just think, it would only take me about 8 days of listening 24/7 to get through all those!. No more hearing the same song 5 times a day on the radio! I can’t wait to get started.

Life is good! ...and this is probably the last time my iPod gets hooked up to the PC.

« New iPod Reactions: Accessory Makers and an Author

Wishing for a play queue for iPod »

Comments

Just got the 30GB iPod which BestBuy upgraded me to from the 20GB which had a defective equalizer. And they did it one day before even Apple sold the new units.

Yes…it is smaller, lighter and sleeker. But that means Ive got to wait till Xtreme Mac does a new case.

My Comments: mainly the controls too too too sensitive…much moreso than the older ipods…and this is my 5th unit. The sleep timer is gone in favor of an instantant on off sleep timer.

And yes I have to use it on a PC. But have used Music Match for years. Their implementation for the iPod requires the patientce of Job…...but finally learned to use it successfully. And of course, you can record in mp3Pro which is still the best format till AAC is fully implemented.

If you have problems with MM on the PC you can email me.

Posted by Pete Saybolt in Baltimore, MD on May 6, 2003 at 6:17 AM (CDT)

MP3PRO is NOT the best format. It does a good job on HIGHLY compressed cases (ie 64kbps is about as good as 96kbps MP3). Needless to say both of those are extremely noisy and unpleasant.

AAC 128 is OK, but just marginally better then 128 MP3. Neither of which I would listen to.

MP3 256 and up (AAC 256 also) is somewhere where quality starts.

Please be considerate and rip at higher standards.

Posted by pbox on May 6, 2003 at 10:16 AM (CDT)

Can’t say i could agree on the fact that MM wouldn’t work ...

I’ve installed it a couple of times already, and it worked fine for me. I remember that last time i installed it (a couple of days ago) i had to download the plugin, but it wouldn’t install because ‘iPod software is still running’ although i had my iPod disconnected from the PC.

It turned out that i just had to shut down MM, run the downloaded plugin, let it do it’s job, restart MM and it recognized it.

My only complaint about MM is that it’s so slow at detecting my 20 Gb iPod (with about 3400 songs, maybe that’s the trouble) ...
I’m using MM only to rip my cds anywayz, i like XPlay a lot better ! And faster ...

And i NEVER understood that ‘Volume Levelling’ thing in MM ... if i understand it correctly , they have to go through my ENTIRE collection to be added , reencode them and then put them on the iPod or what ? :) Maybe i just don’t get, the miserable fat belgian b*stard that i am :p

And hey ... i don’t really care about all this ‘ooh, my format is way better’ hassle ... isn’t it all just a matter of ‘What i hear sounds pleasant enough to my ears’ ? I mean, i’m not gonna rerip all my cd’s EVERY time some new so-called superior music-encoding-algo comes out , let along trash all my existing mp3 cds and burnin’ them again (or on DVD for that matter)

Posted by Oenie in Belgium on May 6, 2003 at 10:28 AM (CDT)

I purchased the new 15 GB iPod the night that it was released off of the Apple website and received it last Friday.

I installed it on both my PC laptop and my Powerbook G4 and it works seamlessly.  My only complaint is that with the 4-pin firewire connection to my PC laptop, I can’t have it charge at the same time as I could with my Powerbook.

Posted by kevin in Ottawa, Ontario on May 6, 2003 at 2:01 PM (CDT)

Regarding encoding; I thought MP3 encoding in iTunes was awful.  I ripped all my CDs at 192 kbps and was very disappointed.  So I re-ripped everything using LAME alt-preset-extreme (about 256 kbps VBR).  Much, much better.  BUT: s-l-o-w encoding, and big file sizes.

Now we have AAC.  Is it better?  Is it worse?  I planned to find out.  I ripped a CD I had previously ripped using LAME extreme (Bruce Springsteen - The Rising) using AAC 128 in iTunes.  Then I tested the results against my LAME encodes.  I cannot tell a difference.  Honestly.  I’m trying, I really am.  I don’t have a $20,000 sound system, but I have decent headphones, and I’m doing a blind test in QuickTime, toggling back and forth on simultaneously-playing identical tracks.

I also did a blind test between a track I ripped from CD using LAME extreme vs. the identical track I purchased from the iTunes Music Store.  Again, I cannot perceive a difference.  I wish more folks would attempt these tests and share their results.

If I can’t tell the difference, I’m going to re-rip everything in AAC.  Fortunately, AAC encoding is *much* faster than Lame on my dual G4 867.

Posted by Chris on May 6, 2003 at 2:52 PM (CDT)

Why no WMA support?

I thought this was on the cards.

There’s no way I’m going to convert my 10GBs of WMAs into over 20GB of unwieldy MP3s just because Apple are too bloody-minded to support the default Windows file format (and the one that produces the smallest files).

So no iPod for me, again. This time

Posted by J. in UK on May 7, 2003 at 9:57 AM (CDT)

Well ... to be honest ... i can kinda understand that Apple doesn’t feel much for adding WMA support ...

Seeing that WMA is a Microsoft-introduced encoding format ... can’t blame em ...

And if AAC is there for Mac, that’s even more comprehensible ...

I’m just asking myself, are there any people USING that WMA anywayz ? Never ever used it or thought about using it. I’m quite sure Apple likes to sell a lot of iPods, one more or less won’t count to them.
If they have to put all their energy in trying to get people to switch, just by selling them iPods, i’m sure that’s gonna take them a whole lopt of time.
I for one am not intending to do so, although i really like my iPod (except for the lack of on-the-go playlist support, but i’m not gonna start that whining on this playlist also *lol*)

Anyway, to cut a long crappy story short : they can’t and won’t do everything to convince everybody ... support Creative i guess , i’ll stick to my groove, sexy iPod *yummy* :)

Posted by Oenie in Belgium on May 7, 2003 at 10:20 AM (CDT)

Oh yeah,

just a small addition, just to not make it too easy :
I’ve got a 20Gb iPod and a 160Gb Raid setup on my PC ... so the fact that WMA is ‘better’ quality and smaller sizes just doesn’t matter to me.

20 Gb is plennnnty of space really, i’m an avid music listener and there’s just so much music you can listen to on one day ... i used to have to go around hauling my cd-collection with me, but since i have my iPod, i’ve been able to rejoice all of the music i was craving for by just a flick of the wrist ... i LLLLOOOOVE it :)

Posted by Oenie in Belgium on May 7, 2003 at 10:23 AM (CDT)

Anyone need to trade up to a 30gb iPod from the old 20 and do it free of charge. And we aint talking eBay either. A onetime charge of $50 for this information.

Posted by Pete Saybolt in Baltimore, MD on May 7, 2003 at 6:47 PM (CDT)

I ordered my Ipod on the day after Apple announced the new product line. I decided on the 10 gig, ordered it up, and as I decided on my method of shipping I couldn’t justify spending another few bucks on shipping just because I have the patience of a poodle. Anyway, I decided against the express shipping and according to Apple’s website they were to ship on Friday so I was expecting a week to pass before I would see anything.

As it turned out, the thing shipped a day early, Thursday and I was quite excited because I was now sure it would arrive within a week. The next day, to my surprise, the damn thing showed up. This means about 16 hours after they reported it shipped, it arrived. Ridiculously fast, never experienced anythig like it and I’m a slut so I experience a lot of things. I have no idea what the point of paying express shipping would have been, but whatever that might have been I was thrilled with Apple. Oddly enough I never plan to buy anything from them ever again unless it’s possibly a future Ipod.

Posted by Jill Magloire in Calgary, AB on May 7, 2003 at 7:00 PM (CDT)

Jim,

Ny story is quite the opposite.  I ordered mine on Friday, it shipped Saturday, and I still haven’t received it.  I hope to have it soon, though.  I’ve been waiting all week.

A quick question—do the new iPods come with software (iTunes) for Windows, or will I have to use EphPod / xPlay?

Posted by Anon in USA on May 7, 2003 at 8:56 PM (CDT)

I am upset that I bought a 20GB iPod at the end of March and that they came out with a newer version with larger capacity for the same price.  I bought mine from B&H Photo (got it the day after I ordered it) so I have no recourse but to look at my iPod as a rip-off.

Posted by Mark Matson in CT on May 8, 2003 at 2:40 PM (CDT)

How can you feel ripped off just because Apple came out with a new model?  Should they have phoned you and told you “Psst, don’t buy yet, new models will be here in a couple of weeks?”  Good grief.  That’s technology.  Should they never come out with new models?  Should they tell everyone in advance when to expect them?  I guess they could do it like auto manufacturers, where you have a 2002 iPod, a 2003 iPod, etc.  But that ain’t gonna happen.

I bought a 20G iPod in January, then took it back because I read all the rumors about new models.  Had I known I’d have to wait 4 months for the new ones, I would have kept the 20G.  In some ways I liked my 20G more than my new 30G.  Them’s the breaks.  Just enjoy your new iPod.  It’s just as great now as when you bought it.

Posted by Chris on May 8, 2003 at 2:49 PM (CDT)

Hi Mark,

I bought my 10G ipod on 18 April, just 10 days before Apple announced the launch of the new ipod.

Like you I was initially very upset over the matter.  But just think about it, beside being slightly thicker and heavier, the old model works as well as the new one (The docking station although useful is not really essential).

In fact, I prefer the old design (the control layout) compared to the new one which look more ordinary and less cool.

The bottomline is the ipod (both old and new models) is simply a great piece human creation.  Not everyone is as fortunate as some of us to be able to afford one.  So just be thankful you are holding it in your hand.

Enjoy the music.

Posted by BC in Singapore on May 8, 2003 at 8:05 PM (CDT)

I agree with the WMA guy.

If he does have ten gigs of WMAs then a 20Gb iPod won’t be big enough once they’re converted to MP3s. Or, at least, not if he wants to put any more music on it afterwards.

And does anyone know a program that converts WMA to MP3 anyway?

Anybody who bought a Windows XP machine in the last year tends to have their music in WMA because that’s what Microsoft Media Player rips to, and since they’re the smallest files there doesn’t seem much point changing.

Posted by Tim in Bristol, UK on May 9, 2003 at 7:14 AM (CDT)

Thanks for the comments… and I still am thankful for this little gem, I just feel a bit slighted.  At least with computer technology, faster chips are announced and it is at least a few months before the price drop occurs.  This was over the course of a week… your $500 buys 20 gigs today and 30 gigs with improvements (and some draw backs) tomorrow… if you we lucky enough to have your pay check cashed this week you win, if it was last week, too bad.

On balance, I am very satisfied.

Posted by Mark Matson in CT on May 9, 2003 at 8:49 AM (CDT)

GET A MAC! THEY ARE MUCH BETTER!

Posted by Leee in planetlee on May 11, 2003 at 12:38 AM (CDT)

I ordered my iPod 11 days ago, and it’s still not in!!! why do you think this is? I live in Canada… does this make a difference?

Posted by Dave Luebbert in Ontario, Canada on May 18, 2003 at 11:26 PM (CDT)

Before I even thought about getting an iPod, I ripped all my cd’s to MP3 (basically for winamp). But for the WMA question, you can get MP3 PowerEncoder, thats a Windows Media Player add-on.

Posted by Fogy in japan on May 22, 2003 at 2:09 AM (CDT)

people, stop it!!!! Can only get mine in two week (money issues for some of us) and you all having the bloody IPOD is driving me CRAZY!!!! I am so jealous.TELL ME MORE!!!!!!!!

Posted by Katrin Malin in amsterdam on May 23, 2003 at 9:28 AM (CDT)

Chris, you shouldn’t be too upset about it. I have a old 5gig and a new 15gig and trust me, the 5gig was so much easier to use with just a normal firewire cable. I had 2 firewire cables, one permantly connected to the comp, and another one for the charger. This new dock->firewire cable gets all tangled with stereo wires when I have to pull it out from the comp for charging, plus I keep losing the small clip things u put in the ipod to cover up the dock port.

Posted by Skaven on May 23, 2003 at 8:58 PM (CDT)

I am planning on getting an iPod what should i get 15Gb or 30Gb, new model or old model, is MAC better than PC and or PC better than MAC. I do like MM but some say the program does not reconignize the iPod why not and if it does how do you fix that. Email me and I would be quite obliged.

Posted by Sam in Amarillo on May 24, 2003 at 7:14 AM (CDT)

Never even installed MM, just went straight to Ephpod. I think it’s great.

Posted by tyldis in Norway on May 25, 2003 at 1:59 AM (CDT)

Oh, and my biggest grief was that I got transfer errors and the Pod crashed 3 times the first 30 minutes I had it. Traced it to my Audigy card: seems the firewire on it was buggy. Plugging it into the FW on my mainboard solved everything.

Posted by tyldis in Norway on May 25, 2003 at 2:00 AM (CDT)

I was given a 10GB windows Pod as an xmas pressie by my boyfriend -so im not going to start complaining about it -I prefer the look of the “old” ones. But if mine should have an accident during its extended warranty - well who knows..?
The big puter runs XP, and we’d already encoded everything to 192 mp3’s ( the player in my car and on my linux laptop doesnt like WMA - using a non propriety format saves all these cross platform hassles and whinging doesnt it? )
I like my simple firewire cable - easy to pack, easy to replace. ( said boyfriend has already lost my original cable…Oh well)
And the old iPod still isnt “old hat” everyone who’s ever had a go of mine has been struck with envy pangs.
With a nice set of fontopia earphones ( thats the only downside those apple ones dont fit my ears!!!!) I’m deleriously happy anywhere i go   :)

Posted by Sam in UK on May 25, 2003 at 9:16 AM (CDT)

Just bought the 15gb 2 weeks ago.  I am a first time ipod owner.  I think the ipod is the most wonderful design for music.  The only thing I am disappointed in, is sometimes the screen freezes and i have to reset it.  I read 2 books on the ipod and they all explained about the things that could go wrong with it.  I’m scared about that in the future, but for now am very satisfied.  One other thing I also don’t like how touch sensitive the buttons are, but the design is unique and fun to use.

Posted by Jennifer on May 25, 2003 at 9:53 PM (CDT)

I just bought a brand new 2nd gen 10Gb iPod on eBay.  The packaging was wonderful, very Japanese with everything nicely wrapped, etc.  I bought the Mac version but heard how easy it is to convert to Windows.

My VAIO desktop has built-in Firewire ports, both 4 and 6 varieties.  Note for VAIO desktop users, the 6 port is on the back so you don’t have to buy the 4 to 6 plug adaptor.  It was extremely easy to use the 1.2.6 updater and insta-WinPod.  However MM was another story.

MM reminds me of the DOS Windows days trying to get s/w to work that somehow reponds differently each time you use it.  The UI is quite bad.  I gave up after a half hour and downloaded Ephpod.  Instant tunes.

Used it all weekend on a single charge and it just died this morning.  Great battery life.  Personally, I like the design of the old iPod better.  The metal case is like jewelry and I got a Groove see through case to protect it, also great design.

Can’t wait for iTunes 1.3 for Windows and 0.99 downloads for XP users.

Posted by John on May 27, 2003 at 11:35 AM (CDT)

I bought one from dell.com

15GB for a good price of 320 shipped.

Was thinking about selling the dock, earphones, case and firewire cable. And buying usb2.0 and a new set of roxoz headphones.

Anyway, this would be my first apple product in 13 years.

Posted by Simpleton in LA on May 27, 2003 at 9:32 PM (CDT)

what formats is the new (windows-)ipod able to play? mp3pro?

Posted by dennys in Berne (Switzerland) on May 28, 2003 at 8:11 AM (CDT)

As far as I understand the windows format under MM is MP3PRO.  The only problem with MM that I had was it took 2 hours to format the drive with the Apple guy on the phone.  After that everything worked fine.  I happen to be one of those few people who happen to like MM.  I guess cause I’ve used it before.  Good Luck!

Posted by Jennifer on May 28, 2003 at 8:47 AM (CDT)

I had also some proplems to get it working on Windows… It’s a little bit tricky to find the button to format the device with the right windows-known filesystem ;)

But now, it’s running and it’s great! I’m using EphPod instead of MM-Jukebox.

Posted by dennys on May 29, 2003 at 6:07 PM (CDT)

Just a little tip. I just bought my first Ipod (15 gig). I searched high and low trying to find the “best” price and finally decided to got to best buy. Why? you ask. I took a printout of a dell webpage saying that they are giving off and Best Buy honored it and most importantly I bought a 4 year warranty for 40 bucks (about what the discount turned out to be) I got it right away no shipping delays and I don’t have to worry about any problems (battery, frying the harddrive, etc) I think this might be the best way cause if anything goes wrong I can walk down to the Best Buy and walk out with a new one. ( I have had experiences in the past with a pda with them and they where great). I am now not as worried about the dam thing all the time.

Posted by Ramze on May 29, 2003 at 7:37 PM (CDT)

Thanks Ramze, I followed your tip and used the Dell print-out to buy my 10 Gb iPod tonight at CompUSA. I was planning on buying one today anyway, and then I happened to read through these comments before I went out. They honored it without any problem. I was just wondering if the warranty you bought at Best Buy was better then the one I got at CompUSA. I have had it less then an hour now, so I haven’t opened it yet. The warranty I bought was 39.90 for 2 years, so if I can get a 4 year one at Best Buy for the same price, I may just not unwrap this baby and return it tomorrow to CompUsa, then go buy it at Best Buy. The reason I wanted to buy it at CompUsa is because they actually have an Apple section, unlike Best Buy.

Anyway, thanks for the tip!

Posted by dreaming1 on May 31, 2003 at 9:06 PM (CDT)

Be careful of buying your IPOD at CompUSA, if it still is unopened I believe they will give you a 100% refund, but if you do open it they have to deduct 15% restocking fee. So definately think before you open this. Which I think is bogus?  How are you suppossed to try something and see if you like it.  I bought my IPOD at J and R music world.  30 day guaranteed moeny back refund through mail order.  You should ask them if they would honor the dell advertisement.  Also if you buy from APPLE directly and if you are a student they will give you $30.00 off.  The J and R warranty is 29.99 for 2 plus the APPLE’s one year.  They will repair it for you or replace it if it is unrepairable.

Posted by Jennifer on June 1, 2003 at 9:50 AM (CDT)

To the user known as ‘J.’ You should know that the smaller file sizes for WMA files are actually because of lower quality. The 64Kbps rate for WMA is indeed much lower quality than the 128 Kbps rate for MP3. Microsoft only increased the volume up 3 or so decibels on some specific frequencies, making it sound comparable to MP3 on lower quality audio systems.

Either way, AAC beats WMA, and Apple probably did not want to pay Microsoft royalties and license charges to their Windows Media format. Therefore the reason to exclude the WMA format on the iPod was actually quite logical on Apple’s part, and the smaller file sizes for the WMA format without losing quality is merely a myth.

Posted by Sraphim on June 7, 2003 at 12:21 PM (CDT)

I’m trying to decide whether or not to buy an Ipod.  It would be great (of course) to own, but considering that I make only $250 a week…  Also, is it worth it to buy the second generation Ipod, or should I save that extra money and spring for some accessories with a first generation Ipod?  I went to dell.com, because I have a gift thingy for $100 off of $400, but all they seem to carry is the 10 gig $300 model

Posted by Aakash on June 8, 2003 at 12:06 PM (CDT)

So does anybody have a copy of that Dell deal to take to Best buy anymore?

Posted by Jared on June 8, 2003 at 2:45 PM (CDT)

Jared, go to the dell homepage, do a search for ipod, click on ‘add to cart’, and after that the 10% discount will appear. It doesn’t appear off the normal price until you have clicked on ‘add to cart’. Once I did that I just printed out the page, (showing the original price with discount, and the part showing they are giving 10% off all their peripherals) took it to compusa and the manager honored the price. It ends on the 12th of June.

Posted by dreaming1 on June 8, 2003 at 5:03 PM (CDT)

This is my second apple thing: New iPod 10G. The first was Newton…

Anyway I already regret to not choose 15G model.

Posted by Harrison on June 9, 2003 at 1:16 AM (CDT)

I got an ipod friday and it works perfectly with MMJ. Don’t even bother installing ephpod cause it really s****.For all those who didn’t buy an iPod yet, what are you waiting for ?

Posted by Kadhafi on June 9, 2003 at 9:41 AM (CDT)

Cash :)

Posted by Aakash on June 9, 2003 at 11:10 AM (CDT)

Save ur money for one as fast as possible.  It’s the best thing out there.

Posted by Jennifer on June 9, 2003 at 11:49 AM (CDT)

Hey everyone who didn’t buy an ipod yet and wants to.  Apple is having a sale.  If you spend $149.00 or more at 1-800-my apple they will give you $15.00 off.  Just call them and tell them that you are having problems pulling up the e-mail you received or tell them ur friend received it and was wondering if you can 2.  I just received the e-mail today and it’s good until June 30th.

Posted by Jennifer on June 9, 2003 at 11:54 AM (CDT)

Just started using ephpod, does anyone no how to eject from computer like in music match.  Thanks.

Posted by Jennifer on June 10, 2003 at 11:50 PM (CDT)

Posted by Jennifer on June 10, 2003 at 11:50 PM (CDT)

Curious again now, if we are planning to get the apple student discount, will the $19 still apply?  Because that would be great…

Posted by Aakash on June 11, 2003 at 6:16 AM (CDT)

Bought a 10Gb ipod from Dell for $315 a week before apple announced the new ipod. Now ofcourse im looking for the cheapest way to upgrade. Saw a few deals from places offering to take back the old ones and credit something like $150 for a 10gb old one if you buy the new ipod from them.
Anyone know any better (cheaper) ways other than trying ebay?

Posted by AN on June 11, 2003 at 6:41 AM (CDT)

Sure do. Email me first.

Posted by Pete Saybolt on June 11, 2003 at 7:29 AM (CDT)

Pete
i cant seem to get your email address even though i am logged in. Keep getting a message about members only. maybe you can email me
its
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
thnx

Posted by aroosh in USA on June 11, 2003 at 9:51 AM (CDT)

YAY ^_^
In exactly ONE week I’ll get my iPOD! Yay! Yay! :)
Ha ha ha ha :) Can’t wait any longeeer!!!
It looks so damn COOL!
—-

Posted by MissKaelaKandi on June 15, 2003 at 6:38 PM (CDT)

Well, I remember when the original ipod came out.  So sleek, so stylish, and so much memory!  Well, they sure came in a pretty price tag.  Anyway, I recently found out, or should I say two weeks ago, about the new ipod.  I told myself that I am going to get it.  So Sunday afternoon I went to Best Buy in St. Cloud and purchased one.  I was worried about the firewire.  But I found out that the laptop I received for graduation had firewire on it.  So, I purchased the ipod, went to my car and I opened it.  I got a chill running down my spine.  Even when you are opening up the box it is exciting.  Apple did not cut corners, too bad MICROSOFT does!  Even though I do have a PC, I wish I had a MAC!!  Anyway, when I got home I installed musicmatch, then I plugged in my ipod.  Everything works “fine”.  Now the reason why I say “fine” is because obviously, as we all know, Microsoft Windows (even XP) is subject to “program not responding errors.”  Which I get when I try to record my cd.  I also like the fact that Apple made the new ipod compatible with both OS.  Before, you have to buy either a Mac, or a windoze.  By the way, I got the 10GB model.  Fine for me.  It will hold plenty of music without worrying about whether or not I do not have that much memory.  I beginning college this fall, and I will definitely put this ipod to good use.  Buy one!

Posted by Noel Dokken on June 17, 2003 at 7:34 PM (CDT)

Excuse me, can any one tell me how to clean my iPod with good results? the metalic surface always looks sunscratched I enclosed it in polyurethane custom fit bags for protection and looks and change them every week but these little scratches or plastic spots make sick.
Please Help

Posted by OsMac in lycos on June 24, 2003 at 2:30 AM (CDT)

I don’t own an Ipod, but I have heard that they are just about impossible to get off.  Maybe some spray paint might help :)

Posted by Aakash on June 24, 2003 at 6:43 AM (CDT)

The iPod is a work of art and I must thank it for revitalising my taste buds in music again.  The opening of the iPod box made my head get kinda light headed and I hope that design lecturers are using the iPod and it’s box as examples of awe inspiring design.

I was an ex-dj (Soul, Funk and Jazz) and so have a few thousand vinyl LP’s as well as many CD’s.  The iPod allows me to dig deep into my music collection.  In addition I am converting my quality vinyl to digital format, which is better than just being sat in the loft gathering dust. Finally the terrific little mp3 sushi app allows me to put together a 2-3 hour show or two for friends over the internet.  And guess what it all done on Macs.

by the way whats the best case for it with regard to protection and accessibility?

Posted by mac_gladdy on June 24, 2003 at 1:30 PM (CDT)

im going on a month long trip backpacking through europe, which will be amazing, but the only problem is my music, or rather, my ipod. there will obviously be nowhere to plug in my ipod for charging, so i went online to find that AA battery packs (the one i found was belkin) are only compatible with the new ipods. i personally like my old ipod very much, i see no reason to upgrade and actually like my buttons alot better. but since i honestly cant live without my ipod for more than a week, especially not when i will mostly be hiking in an otherwise silent atmoshere, so i am prepared to go out and give in and buy a new model, i’ve had it since december so i’ve gotten some use out of it, but if anyone can tell me any other option i might have (aka, another way to hook my ipod up to battery power), i would greatly appreciate it.

Posted by Rachel on June 25, 2003 at 6:34 PM (CDT)

in response to the post before me, im in love with iskin. i have owned many many cases in my ipod career and this one is by far the most stylish, well made/designed/fitted, and easy to access. they have very nice versions for both the new and old ipods,even the thinner version of the old one. they are made of rubber which has a very nice grippy texture and comes in a wide variety of colors, whether you want flashy, fun, or if you want to stay in the minimalist apple mindset. the newer version has a clear plastic covering for the screen where many other rubber models don’t. lol, i probably sound like a sales rep, but im just a high school kid who has found the most quality investment in terms of ipod protection.you can get them at www.iskin.com

Posted by Rachel on June 25, 2003 at 6:42 PM (CDT)

Now, I don’t know if this is what you want exactly, but it is an extra battery for the original ipod

Posted by Aakash on June 25, 2003 at 7:55 PM (CDT)

Just ordered a 15GB ipod from Dell… on sale and with a coupon, the total price came out to be $314, shipped.

I never would have gotten such a sweet deal if it weren’t for this site!

Posted by Lissa on June 26, 2003 at 9:21 PM (CDT)

Dell drops iPod ...
I read an article saying dell doesn’t sell iPods anymore. Very dissapointing after hearing about all the deals.

Posted by Francis on July 9, 2003 at 7:07 PM (CDT)

I have an insurance check arriving within the next day or two.  My plan is to go out and immediately pick up the 30GB iPod (along with a number of other electronic goodies).

I just discovered these new gadgets yesterday and after doing some research on the’net I’m sold!

Like an earlier poster I’m a former radio DJ, and several years ago owned a mobile DJ business that I worked part-time.  I have over 400 CDs, more than 1200 record albums and about 500 45s in storage.  It’ll be a lot of work, but eventually the best of the best will reside on my new iPod.  And what favorite songs I don’t have I’ll download.

Imagine what we have to look forward to in the years to come!

Thanks to all for the great information shared on this site.  I’ll look forward to seeing more as well as offering my own input from time-to-time in the months ahead.

Best regards from Seattle Wa.

Posted by Rick in Federal Way, Wa. on July 16, 2003 at 1:26 AM (CDT)

Just bought the new 40go IPOD
What can I say. Great this is a small toy but why Apple has decided to change the nav system, just to add a nice red color on each button?
This is not so friendly than the first IPOD generation.
I am disappointed about that new product.

Posted by JY on October 3, 2003 at 12:20 PM (CDT)

Just to let everyone know the knew ITRIPS from GRIFFIN TECHNOLOGIES for the new ipods have finally been released.  They e-mailed me to let me know my ITRIP was shipped on Friday.  Yeah, can’t wait to use it and will let everyone know how it works.

Posted by Jennifer on October 4, 2003 at 2:51 PM (CDT)

I tried the new itrip from Griffin technolgoies and it’s AWESOME.  Very easy to use and program and sounds as clear as the stereo you are using it on.  It’s amazing never could believe anything wireless like this could sound this GREAT!!

Posted by Jennifer on October 9, 2003 at 11:49 AM (CDT)

Hi, just wanted to say that 2 days ago I bought the new 40gb ipod. I actually bought mine while on a business trip in Paris, as they were selling the 40gb there for the same price as a 15gb would cost me in Prague, CZ.
Needless to say I was very impressed with the packaging and the device itself. I think the control system is fine, quite sensitive until you get used to it, but nice. Ive never seen the older g ipods so whats different with the controls?
Im using the ipod on my pc (winxp) through an audigy 1 cards firewire port, and havent had any problems whatsoever. Ive managed to upgrade my firmware and trnasfer songs without any problems. Im using the windows version of itunes to transfer.
At the moment Im testing out the battery life, Ive had it playing for around 2 hours already, non-stop and it seems to be on or around 60-70%. I was kind of hoping it would last longer but Ive only had it for a day so we’ll see.
Incidently to the guy complaining about scratches I reas somewhere on this site or one of the others something about using Brasso on them, apparently fixes it.
Well just wanted to say that Im happy I gave in and bought it :)

Andrew P

Posted by Andrew P on October 24, 2003 at 3:31 AM (CDT)

Well just wanted to say that Im happy I gave in and bought it :)

Andrew P

Posted by Andrew P on October 24, 2003 at 3:32 AM (CDT)

well i spent most of my university loan on a new 20GB ipod. and it’s sooo worth it. but no usb cable was included, so i had to shell out an extra

Posted by mj on December 5, 2003 at 6:51 AM (CST)

Yeah, every apple packaging it

Posted by osmac on December 5, 2003 at 6:50 PM (CST)

Just got iPod, iTrip, and car charger. Running XP Home.

I CAN’T LOAD THE ITRIP SOFTWARE!

It keeps telling me I don’t have four drivers for the iTrip, but I can’t find them anywhere. Musicmatch says to download them, but the link only goes to the musicmatch d/l.

HELP PLEASE!

Posted by Davo on December 11, 2003 at 7:28 AM (CST)

Here’s the link I’m talking about:

Thanks!

Posted by Davo on December 11, 2003 at 7:30 AM (CST)

davo, if your having such a big problem loading the drivers call Griffin Technologies, they are so nice there.  They will help you with any problems and they are ipod experts.

Posted by Jennifer on December 11, 2003 at 7:53 AM (CST)

Okay, I’m an idiot, nevermind.

Posted by Davo on December 11, 2003 at 8:30 AM (CST)

Davo, your not an idiot.  I also had problems not with the itrip, but with the ipod itself and when i was talking with griffin they helped me a lot.  Getting used to using the itrip is a trip in itself.  Sometimes it takes to getting the station and sticking right away and sometimes it takes some getting used to.  When you program your station on your itrip preprogram your car radio.  The station will always be programmed no matter what radio you go to.  In terms of hearing static sometimes as you drive don’t worry usually within a minute or two your ipod station will come back.  Enjoy the itrip because I love it!!  Take care and have a great holiday.  Jennifer

Posted by Jennifer on December 11, 2003 at 11:13 AM (CST)

hey, i’d like to know the songs featured on the iPod advertisement. one is hey mama by black eyed peas, that i know. what about the other one? they’re real cool.

Posted by hola~* on January 30, 2004 at 2:38 AM (CST)

RECENTLY ORDER MY FIRST IPOD (20GB), CAN’T WAIT TO RECEIVE IT.

Posted by RED on March 23, 2004 at 1:49 PM (CST)

I cant
Decide wheather to get the 30 or 40gig iPod. Can someone please help me to decide?

Posted by TG on April 4, 2004 at 6:52 PM (CDT)

WMA? I think it is the best! I have loads of music and use WMA all the time for ripping, and everytime I download music from Napster, i convert it straight away!
GOD BLESS WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER!!!!

Posted by Jas on May 15, 2004 at 4:36 AM (CDT)

ok heres the deal. i want a ipod but i dont know much about computers. i know i have a new dell and windows xp and musicmatch but i want to know how to transfer my mp3s to the ipod?do i just open the ipod icon and drag songs in there?thanks. oh yeah, im not to smart so keep the level of smart down please.thx

Posted by pollywanker on May 18, 2004 at 3:16 PM (CDT)

Posted by pollywanker on May 18, 2004 at 3:16 PM (CDT)

Can anyone help me please! i have just brought a 40gb ipod off one of my girlfriends as she needed fast cash, and i was wondering if you need your own computer to download music onto your ipod or can you go to internet cafes and plug your ipod in there and download from itunes?? I have just been downloading music on her computer at home before she leaves the country.

Posted by kiwigal on June 16, 2005 at 9:28 AM (CDT)