New features in iPhone 4S
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I’m currently using an iPhone 4 but am debating whether or not to upgrade to the new 4S. I know that the new iPhone has a better camera and is faster, but are there any other differences that you can tell me about that may help me decide? Is the 4S worth the upgrade if I already have an iPhone 4? Do you know if iOS 5 will work better on the iPhone 4S? I know when version 4 came out last year it was really slow on older iPhones and I don’t want mine to be slowed down by the new features.
A: In addition to the improved camera and faster, dual-core A5 chip, the iPhone 4S also adds the Siri Voice Assistant and 1080p video recording with image stabilization. It also includes an improved antenna system with faster 3G download speeds, although whether this will be of any benefit is going to depend on your carrier and what the coverage is like where you live. Support for AirPlay mirroring may also be useful if you have an Apple TV.
The iPhone 4S is available in a 64GB model, which may be an advantage if you’re nearing full capacity on your existing iPhone 4.
The iPhone 4S also provides a dual-mode antenna system so that it can be used on both GSM and CDMA networks, however this is only of practical use to Verizon or Sprint users who travel outside of the U.S.
The faster CPU, better graphics performance and increased RAM may also be worthwhile if you play a lot of high-performance action games on your iPhone—it’s not going to make much difference for Solitaire and Sudoku but games like Infinity Blade 2 will definitely take advantage of this.
As for iOS 5, based on early reports there have been no indications of any problems with iOS 5 performance on the iPhone 4. In fact, iOS 5 runs reasonably well even on the older iPhone 3GS, so I wouldn’t be too concerned about your iPhone 4 slowing down after upgrading to iOS 5.
Ultimately, if you’re happy with the iPhone 4 and aren’t interested in the Siri voice assistant, high-end gaming, AirPlay Mirroring support or a better camera, there’s probably not going to much that the iPhone 4S offers you and it may be worth your while to wait until the next announcement in 2012 and see what Apple has to offer in the iPhone 5.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple to provide more unified TV experience with new ‘TV’ app for Apple TV
- Elgato announces HomeKit-enabled Eve Light Switch
- Apple delays AirPods release
- Report: iPhone 8 likely to come in three glass-backed sizes
- Report: New Apple TV app to provide show recommendations
- Apple’s German website adds Apple Pay support page, but still no launch
- Notes from Apple’s Q4 2016 earnings call
- Apple Q4 2016: $46.9B revenue, 45.5M iPhones + 9.2M iPads sold
- Apple reportedly hiring engineers from BlackBerry, developing car operating system in Canada
- Apple releases PowerBeats3 Wireless earphones
- Creative iRoar Go Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Bowers & Wilkins P3 Series 2 Headphones
- Incase Icon, Pop, and Textured Snap for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Philips Hue Motion Sensor
- Bowers & Wilkins P9 Signature Headphones
- Tech Armor FlexProtect and Shock Flex for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- SwitchEasy Flash and Fleur for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Blue Microphones Raspberry Mobile Microphone
- Incipio Haven for iPhone 7 and Reprieve Sport for iPhone 7 Plus
- Mophie Hold Force Magnetic Case System for iPhone 7
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps