New iPod firmware - video output and iPod Hi-Fi support
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I have a 160 GB iPod Classic Black and updated the software to 1.0.3 PC, yesterday I bought a TuneCommand AV Belkin and everything works fine, but the video isn’t working. When I try to see some video file, the screen on the iPod shows “TV Out Enabled, Please Connect Video Accessory” and that’s all.
I can control the iPod with the Belkin’s unit remote, there’s audio signal through the AV out when I play music on iPod, the device appears to charge the battery without problems, but I can’t play any video!!!
A: Unfortunately, this is a limitation of the new 2007 iPod models. As we have discussed in our previous week’s Ask iLounge columns, the 2007 iPod models (classic, nano, touch and iPhone) all require video accessories specifically designed for these models, with an authentication chip that indicates that they are “video-compatible” accessories.
Technically speaking, this has been the case since the original release, although the v1.0.3 firmware has recently tightened the restrictions on the accessories that will work. Prior to v1.0.3, any accessory with a generic Apple authentication chip could be used to trigger video output (this even included non-video accessories as the iPod HiFi and Apple FM Radio Remote). A partial list of accessories that could previously be used for this purpose was discussed in our Oct 26, 2007 column.
Unfortunately, the v1.0.3 firmware has changed this behavior and reduced the number of non-approved devices that can be used for this purpose. Specifically, the Nike+ sport kit, the FM Radio Remote and the iPod HiFi no longer allow video output to be triggered, and this could easily apply to numerous other devices with generic Apple authentication chips. Both the 2005 and 2007 models of Apple Universal Dock continue to work fine for video output, however.
Note that you can downgrade your iPod firmware back to the v1.0.2 version, although you will have to completely erase and restore your iPod from iTunes in order to do so. To downgrade to an earlier firmware version, simply connect the iPod, and then click the “Restore” button while holding down the SHIFT key (Windows) or OPT key (Mac), and iTunes will prompt you for which firmware package to use to restore the iPod. Select the v1.0.2 package which should still be located on your computer, and iTunes will erase and restore your iPod with the older firmware.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple will source iPhone 7 ‘A10’ CPU solely from TSMC
- Federal bill aims to take regulatory power for phone encryption out of state hands
- Job post shows Apple emphasizing new complications, faces for Apple Watch
- New comments hint at forthcoming streaming TV service from Apple
- Apple Music available on Sonos starting today
- Screen protector installation now available at Apple Stores
- Russia mulling tax increase on App Store purchases, other Apple services
- Lawyers threaten to sue Apple over ‘Error 53’ codes disabling iPhones
- Apple releases iOS 9.3 beta 3, tvOS 9.2 beta 3, watchOS 2.2 beta 3 to developers
- Indie game ‘The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth’ rejected by Apple over violence toward children
- Vicks SmartTemp Wireless Smartphone Thermometer
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!