No artwork in Cover Flow
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: Do you know a possible reason why I can’t I see my album artwork in the Cover Flow View on my iTunes library?
A: Rather than trying to render album artwork on the fly from within the actual music tracks themselves, iTunes uses a separate artwork cache for Cover Flow view. The most likely cause of missing artwork in Cover Flow view is that the information in this cache has become lost of damaged.
This cache is normally located within your main “iTunes” folder, in a subfolder appropriately-named “Album Artwork,” with two more sub-folders, “Local” and “Download” representing artwork manually added to your iTunes tracks or automatically downloaded by iTunes, respectively:
The “Local” folder is strictly a cache of your existing artwork, and is generated by iTunes from the artwork images embedded within your actual tracks on an as-needed basic. The “Download” folder contains artwork that has been automatically downloaded for your tracks from the iTunes Store. Although this is the only place on your computer that the downloaded artwork resides it can of course always be redownloaded using iTunes’ automatic “Get Album Artwork” feature.
To force a rebuild of the album artwork cache, simply shut down iTunes, and then remove the “Local” folder completely, ensuring that you also empty it from the trash. When you restart iTunes, it should rebuild the “Local” artwork cache as needed. The first time you use the Cover Flow view, it may take some time for all images to properly appear, but once the local artwork cache has been rebuilt, the Cover Flow view should work as expected.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Report: Some third-party repairs ‘bricking’ iPhones with iOS 9
- Report: Apple to bid on NFL Thursday Night Football streaming rights
- Apple to begin taking broken iPhones for trade-in, offer in-store screen protector installation
- Apple ordered to pay $625M to VirnetX in patent case
- Apple Pay reaches 2 million retail locations
- Apple acquires security company LegbaCore
- Zagg to acquire Mophie for $100 million
- Report: iPhone 7 to include flush camera lens, drop rear antenna bands
- Report: iPhone 5se, iPad Air 3 set for March 15 unveil
- Alleged iPad Air 3 drawing shows Smart Connector, four speakers, camera flash
- Gumdrop Cases DropTech Case for iPad Pro
- Edifier MP700 Rave Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Just Mobile HoverDock for Apple Watch + HoverDock for iPhone
- VRS Design Dandy Layered Case for iPad Pro
- Just Mobile TENC for iPad Pro
- Native Union DOCK Lightning
- Native Union DOCK for Apple Watch
- Hitcase Pro+ Action Pack and Snap for iPhone 6/6s
- Urban Armor Gear Trooper for iPhone 6/6s
- NEBO CaseBrite for iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!