Now Playing screen on TV
Ask iLounge offers readers the opportunity to get answers to their iPod-, iPhone-, iPad-, iTunes-, or Apple TV-related questions from a member of the iLounge editorial team. We'll answer several questions here each week, and of course, you can always get help with more immediate concerns from the iLounge Discussion Forums. Submit your questions for consideration using our Ask iLounge Submit Form. We reserve the right to edit questions for grammar, spelling, and length.
Q: I recently purchased a cable to connect my iPod with a TV. During a slideshow you can hear the music and see the pictures, and videos display fine on the TV. I was wondering: is there is a way to get the iPod’s “Now Playing” display screen to show album artwork, song title, artist, album title, etc. on the TV?
A: Built-in iPod on-screen menu navigation and display of the “Now Playing” screen are things we’ve been longing for ever since Apple’s original iPod photo docks had the capability to output an AV signal - and more so with the Universal Dock’s built-in remote sensor.
Still, there is no official Apple solution, nor do we have any indication that we’ll be getting one. In lieu of this, there are three alternate solutions that exist for displaying iTunes content on a larger screen complete with menuing systems and “Now Playing” progress indicators. First - although least likely to satisfy your needs - is Apple’s computer-based solution for Macs, Front Row. There’s also the newly-announced AppleTV, which places an updated Front Row-style interface on a widescreen TV. It can operate both as a stationary, wirelessly-synchronized 40GB iPod, and as wireless streaming client, pulling content from up to 5 other iTunes libraries.
The solution most likely to please users wanting to use their existing iPods with their TVs is a full dock-and-remote system like DLO’s HomeDock Deluxe, which offers both on-screen menu navigation and a “Now Playing”-like progress display with album art.
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Apple executive talks using AI to boost human memory
- Apple rolling out ‘Today at Apple’ educational courses starting in May
- Smart home device maker iDevices acquired by Hubbell
- Apple delays ‘Carpool Karaoke’ release to ‘later this year’
- Dutch court rules Apple can’t replace broken iPads with refurbished models
- Chinese blog claims Apple is only releasing two iPhone 8 models, no iPhone 7s or 7s Plus
- Apple releases fourth betas of iOS 10.3.2, watchOS 3.2.2, and tvOS 10.2.1
- Images claim to show iPhone 8 prototype with glass back, vertical camera
- Apple works on alternative power sources, new uses for waste heat in Denmark data center
- Training documents reveal safety details about Apple’s self-driving car system
- Advanced Mezger aptX Bluetooth Receiver
- iDevices Wall Switch
- iDevices Wall Outlet
- Koogeek Wi-Fi SmartSocket for Apple HomeKit
- Sony MDR-1000X Wireless Noise-Canceling Headphones
- FiiO i1 Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Adapter
- Blue Ella Headphones
- Apple iPad (Fifth-Generation)
- AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon Headphones
- ExoLens PRO with Optics by ZEISS Wide-Angle Lens Kit
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10